TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Old 05-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #26
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWhiskey
^Yeah, it's like his voice cracks or something.

I also love how Belloq says "You know it's true" when he telling Indy how they are alike.
Something about the way he says it makes me laugh.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #27
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Remember when Indy attempts to jump across the ravine in the Idol Temple in Raiders? When he manages to grab onto a.....thing, whatever it is.....he smiles and you see all this black stuff on his teeth.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #28
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oki9Sedo
Remember when Indy attempts to jump across the ravine in the Idol Temple in Raiders? When he manages to grab onto a.....thing, whatever it is.....he smiles and you see all this black stuff on his teeth.

I always thought that that was dust.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #29
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsome_Drifter
I always thought that that was dust.

No, it looks like tar or something. I always thought it was funny anyway.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #30
The Drifter
IndyFan

It was black under his nose also. lol
Old 05-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #31
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
It was black under his nose also. lol

I have no idea what it is, but its something I always noticed.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #32
herr gruber

Truck chase, Raiders. Nazi goon punching Indy in his gunshot wound. Blood on the Nazis fist. Blood not on the Nazis fist.
herr gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #33
Grave Robber
IndyFan

Quote:
I always wondered why when Indy's old friend (the waiter in ToD, what's his name?) gets shot, why there is no bullet hole in his shirt where the blood blossoms up.

Yeah I wondered this too. I always thought there was a hole but that you just couldn't see it through the blackness of the tux jacket. Also that it wasn't that big of a bullet since he didn't bleed that much.

Another thing I always notice is in Raiders, when Indy swims onto the sub and jumps up to find the hatch, there's a Nazi flag just sticking out randomly waving in the wind. I always wondered why they'd put a flag outside a sub, unless they had replacements.
Grave Robber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #34
Laserschwert
IndyFan

Talking about the submarine, when Indy gets on top of it, he does this strange spin... show-off!
Laserschwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #35
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert
Talking about the submarine, when Indy gets on top of it, he does this strange spin... show-off!

When he spinned, it looked to me like he was thinking "WTF do I do now?"
Old 05-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #36
Kooshmeister
IndyFan

Let's see, for Raiders, stuff I've noticed in repeated viewings that my family and friends didn't catch:

1. The whole thing with the other officer in the troop car. Up until I brought him up as my first post on this board (or one of my first, anyway) I'd never seen anybody mention noticing a third officer at Tanis (I'm still trying to figure out where he came from, since he doesn't appear until just before the chase begins, already in the car).

2. When the weird noises and light first start coming out of the Ark, the two soldiers who discretely move from the front of the crowd to the back, are the same two who opened it for Belloq. In pan-and-scan versions it looks like they actually have the brains to sneak off, but instead they stupidly linger at the back of the crowd.

3. Gobler the ventriloquist. It's the worst audio-visual blooper in the movie in my opinion, and one that's been hidden from many viewers' eyes for years due to poor Gobler being consistently offscreen in pan-and-scan versions of the movie. I don't claim to be the first to have noticed it, but I was the one who submitted it to Nitpickers.com (along with the one about Gobler's goggles going up and down in different shots in the truck chase).

4. The so-called Tall Captain who tells Belloq he's arranged the altar for him, despite being seen walking with the procession through the canyon, is not present at the actual opening of the Ark (that I can see, anyway).

5. Not including accidental players like the guy who lands on the truck hood early on, the total number of participants in the truck chase (including Indy) is 19:

1 Indiana Jones on horsie
1 Belloq in black Mercedes
1 Toht in black Mercedes
1 Dietrich in black Mercedes
1 Gobler in troop car
1 German officer in troop car
13 German soldiers altogether; 1 to drive black Mercedes, 2 in truck cab, 7 in back (including the Sarge), 1 manning machine gun in troop car, and 2 on motorcycle with sidecar

(I have way too much free time.)

6. And just to make this an even number of stuff, I guess I just pay more attention to Gobler than most (he really has grown on me despite being possibly the least effective bad guy in the movie; only the Cairo Swordsman is more useless), but when the car goes flying off the cliff, despite there being three people in it, only two fall out as it plummets; Gobler is the one who remains seated. Apparently, he remembered his seatbelt.

Last edited by Kooshmeister : 05-09-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Kooshmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:22 PM   #37
Grave Robber
IndyFan

It was brought to my attention that in ToD, before Indy boards the plane in the beginning the guy they talk to is actually played by Dan Akroyd (don't remember the character's name). Never knew that he made such a cameo.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #38
Kooshmeister
IndyFan

That would be Earl Weber, I believe.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #39
The Drifter
IndyFan

I always thought that it was Art Webber.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #40
NileQT87
IndyFan

the official site, way back before it got updated, said "art weber" is aykroyd's character's name.
NileQT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #41
The Drifter
IndyFan

Why was Lao Che shipping live poultry anyway?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #42
Grave Robber
IndyFan

Another "why" question: why were those to be lowered into the lava pit first equipped with a lay as if they just got to Hawaii? lol
Old 05-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #43
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave Robber
Another "why" question: why were those to be lowered into the lava pit first equipped with a lay as if they just got to Hawaii? lol

Good question! I don't have an answer, sadly.

Okay, one more "why".
Why did the other kids who were slaves in the mines underneath Pankot Palace, not think of the idea of breaking their chains with a mattock way before Mr. Round?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #44
Kooshmeister
IndyFan

Quote:
Why was Lao Che shipping live poultry anyway?

In the world of organized crime, that'd be what is called a legitimate business, good both as a front and as a way of earning extra money.

Quote:

Well, you know. Volcanoes and Hawaii go hand in hand. Mola Ram was just trying to be nice. It was the least he could do considering he was about to lower them into molten lava.

Seriously, though, it appears to just be part of the ceremony. Those lowered into the pit are sacrifices to Mother Kali and are therefore "dolled up," if you will.

Quote:
Why did the other kids who were slaves in the mines underneath Pankot Palace, not think of the idea of breaking their chains with a mattock way before Mr. Round?

How do you think that one boy who showed up at the village escaped?

Likely, the children made many, many escape attempts, but the ruthless and brutal Thuggee always caught them again.

And, heck, even if some others did get away, it's likely they died of exposure or got lost trying to reach the village. That one little boy was practically near death.

Last edited by Kooshmeister : 05-09-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #45
James
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshmeister
How do you think that one boy who showed up at the village escaped?

Also, Short Round knew he had a ticket 'out', provided he could just reach Indy. Not to mention, he had far more experience surviving on his own- having been orphaned at such a young age.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #46
The Drifter
IndyFan

Good points.
Now when I watch ToD again, I can keep my brain from nagging about those parts.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:52 AM   #47
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
It was brought to my attention that in ToD, before Indy boards the plane in the beginning the guy they talk to is actually played by Dan Akroyd (don't remember the character's name). Never knew that he made such a cameo.
His name is listed in the cast during the end credits so it's not really a cameo.
The real cameo in airport scene comes in the form of two guys in the background.
Can you guess who they might be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NileQT87
the official site, way back before it got updated, said "art weber" is aykroyd's character's name.
The subtitles also read "Art Weber".
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #48
Michael24
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyologist
Yes, YES! That's something I only noticed a few years ago! Indy mocks what Belloq says just before ("we can behave like civilized people-- sit down before you fall down" or something like that) with a gesture and a look that says, "excuse ME, jerk!"

I never noticed this either until I watched for it on USA the other day. It's such a funny move. To me, it's almost like a sarcastic "Oh, okay, whatever you say" kind of look. Haha!!
Michael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #49
God'sRadio
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wolf
well when i first saw Raiders in theaters about 3 years ago, I noticed that in the scene where Belloq has taken over the ship the Ark was on and had captured Marion and she was wearing that white silk dress, she wasn't exactly wearing panties and lets just say Karen Allen didn't exactly shave back then.

Known as a Brillo Pad in slang terms
God'sRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #50
God'sRadio
IndyFan

Indy's panzerfaust is a bit of pipe with three jubilee clips attached
God'sRadio is offline   Reply With Quote