TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Old 04-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #101
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Until yesterday, I always thought that was Toht on the plane to Tibet with Indy.

The guy sitting behind Indy is Toht, right?
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #102
Dark Horse
IndyFan

That's what I thought, but I read somewhere here that it wasn't him
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #103
Morning Bell
IndyFan

Quote:
Until yesterday, I always thought that was Toht on the plane to Tibet with Indy.

I always assumed it was too until I came here and read that it was supposedly someone different. I guess there's still a big discrepancy in the fan community about who it really is.
Morning Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #104
wolfgang
IndyFan

Well, I understand the guy is supposed to be Toht, but was being played by a double, not by the actor himself. So that's what they mean when they say it wasn't Toht. But to date I still believe it is. It is only logical. He even looks suspicious at Indy before going inside the plane. Watch it! That's what I think.
wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:47 AM   #105
Dark Horse
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang
Well, I understand the guy is supposed to be Toht, but was being played by a double, not by the actor himself. So that's what they mean when they say it wasn't Toht. But to date I still believe it is. It is only logical. He even looks suspicious at Indy before going inside the plane. Watch it! That's what I think.

Yeah, that's what I always thought. Toht being there made perfect sense. If it was someone else, then it's just pointless and confusing.

Hopefully someone will come along and clear this up.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:19 AM   #106
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I always thought. Toht being there made perfect sense. If it was someone else, then it's just pointless and confusing.

Hopefully someone will come along and clear this up.

That was the much esteemed Denis Muren playing the Nazi agent in that scene. I don't believe it was ever supposed to be Toht.
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #107
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang

I would agree if Muren didn't stop before boarding the plane and give the area that long loving look. It's clearly not Toht, as Jorbex has gone further than that and provided a side by side or rather top and bottom comparison of the two. If I stumble upon it, I'll repost here.

As far as logic goes, until recognizing him outside the plane, as a child I thought the same. Revisiting my misconception, I realized that, like the second Nazi at the Raven, there were many Nazi agents world-wide. That a more efficient organization would tail Indy while another agent would report the destination of the flight and the appropriate actions would commence. Involving Toht as needed, when needed.

That always seemed reasonable in light of the evidence to me!

Oh...and The Complete Making of Indiana Jones has a passage where Muren talks about plaiying a Nazi Agent, not doubling or standing in as Belzig, (or Toht).
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:35 PM   #108
wolfgang
IndyFan

Oh well...clearly we all think way too much about these stuff.
wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #109
Skipper
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert
Actually I've never quite got the drinking "contest" between Marion and Belloq... especially his "I grew up with it" confuses me. Does it imply, that he can hold his drink (i.e. drink a lot of it without getting drunk)?
I don't think it was implying that Belloq can hold his drink. Belloq was just making conversation, noting that he was familiar with that particular brand of drink. Right before that, he said it was his "family label," right?
Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #110
Dark Horse
IndyFan

I always thought Belloq meant he could hold his drink by his statement as well. Kinda like he grew up with it, so he's used to it/ can handle it.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #111
Morning Bell
IndyFan

Quote:
I always thought Belloq meant he could hold his drink by his statement as well. Kinda like he grew up with it, so he's used to it/ can handle it.

When I first saw the film I took that line literally, thinking that he really did have his own brand. Then when I thought about it I realized what he was saying.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #112
Insomniac
IndyFan

My best friend is a Indy fan but always is telling me things he thought or thinks about the series.
Most misconceptions are oral!
Insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:58 PM   #113
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
The major misconception I used to have as a kid was that the airship Indy and Henry were on in LC was the Hindenberg!

And that they did it on the "Bantu Wind" in Raiders.... oh wait, I still think they did!

Like someone else said before, there is a Ford lookalike on the submarine and the first couple of times I watched Raiders, I thought Indy was in disguise!

Ironically, I never thought Raiders was before ToD. I guess having seen ToD first and being able to read must have stopped that misconception from happening.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #114
Morning Bell
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
Like someone else said before, there is a Ford lookalike on the submarine and the first couple of times I watched Raiders, I thought Indy was in disguise!

Now that you mention it, I used to think this too. That scene fooled me for quite a while.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #115
Short Rounded
IndyFan

Before I had seen Raiders (I had only heard about the boulder scene), I was surprised to find the boulder at the beginning of the film. I thought it was at the end and was the climax of the film.
Short Rounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #116
Dark Horse
IndyFan

Here's another I remember - I always though the sub never submerged and Indy just stayed on top of it all the way to Nazi island.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #117
Robyn
IndyFan

I guess this isn't much of a misconception but I never noticed until recently that Indy accidentally punches a woman at the beginning of Tod
Robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #118
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
I used to think that Lao Che's thugs jumped from the plane because they were afraid of Indiana Jones.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #119
martinland
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsome_Drifter
I used to think that Lao Che's thugs jumped from the plane because they were afraid of Indiana Jones.
LOL! Nice. One even got the shakes as he passes him by...
martinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #120
Von Stalhein
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshmeister
In later years, I figured, "He's an evil Nazi, why would he care about his guys?"
In real life, most did care about their people.
Von Stalhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #121
TheDarkCrusader
IndyFan

As a kid, when I first saw Temple of Doom, I used to think Short Round was the same chinese kid in the beginning of Gremlins. The same with Last Crusade, I used to think young Indy was played by the same actor in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

This one's a little embarrassing, for some reason I thought the Maharaja of Pankot was a she and a love interest for Short Round LOL! I was only like 4 or 5 at the time.
TheDarkCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #122
The Drifter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkCrusader
As a kid, when I first saw Temple of Doom, I used to think Short Round was the same chinese kid in the beginning of Gremlins. The same with Last Crusade, I used to think young Indy was played by the same actor in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

This one's a little embarrassing, for some reason I thought the Maharaja of Pankot was a she and a love interest for Short Round LOL! I was only like 4 or 5 at the time.

I also thought that the Maharajah was a girl. I thought this up to a few years ago.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #123
Short Rounded
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkCrusader
As a kid, when I first saw Temple of Doom, I used to think Short Round was the same chinese kid in the beginning of Gremlins.
Same with me! lol
Short Rounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:44 AM   #124
Col. Detritch
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsome_Drifter
I also thought that the Maharajah was a girl

Me to!
I also thought that Belloq wasn't at the Ark ritual at the end. I thought that the man in the robes was their 'boss' conducting the ritual. Only half way into it I relised, thats Belloq (I was young though). I also was lead to believe that ToD was so much scarier. Just plain violent, blood and gore sadistic horror, which it wasn't quite. I was wetting myself at the lead up to the heart pulling. (Again... young!)
Col. Detritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:55 AM   #125
Johnny Nys
IndyFan

I always thought that the lesson Indy is giving in Raiders, the layout sketch on the blackboard, was about the temple where he found the idol in the prologue.
Johnny Nys is offline   Reply With Quote