Tom Selleck would have been a better Indy

Michael24

I've always liked Tom Selleck and think he would have been great.

But like Selleck himself said, once you've seen Harrison Ford as Indy, it's just impossible to imagine anyone else in that role. But I'm glad he got to live out the idea of playing Indiana Jones when they did that episode on MAGNUM, I think during the final season.

Raiders90

I wonder if Lucas and Spielberg would've made him shave? lol
I think Selleck would've been great, especially if it was Indy actually set in the '80s (which would have been interesting, adventuring in the 1980s)
They should've put him in one of the Indy movies, whether as a sidekick or villain. It would've been a nice nod.

Michael24

Or for the long-rumored idea of introducing Indy's brother. (y)

Did Frank Darabont's script have Indy's brother? I seem to recall reading that Lucas didn't like the way Darabont handled that aspect or something and was one of the reasons he rejected the script.

oki9Sedo

He would have been completely different.

He would have been a sassier, cheekier Indiana Jones. More light-hearted generally.

crauky

every time i try to imagine tom selleck as indy harrison's face pops up
its just to hard to think of indiana jones and not see harrison ford

Iandiana

If you look at the Steranko production artwork the Indy seems to be based on Selleck. In particular the one of him smoking in the desert. It is identical even down to the lines on his face.

reverendB

I've got to agree with Herr Gruber on this one. And this may sound like blasphemy, but if you put the Indy Gear on Selleck, that outfit and that mustache would make him look like one of the Village People!! How could anyone take that seriously?? I mean Come ON... The stache was a little over the top.

RevB

The_Raiders

I watched the bonus DVD that came with the set, and watched Tom doing an Indy part, all I could think was "I'm glad they used Harrison insted of him" I don't think he'd have done very good as Indy. :dead:

SterankoII

Tom's a good actor and physically imposing but he also has kind of a high, whiny voice. Can you imagine him saying "Snakes, why did it have to be snakes?" with that? I like that deeper, almost bass tone when Harrison says it!

Raiders90

I think his audition for Indy was very good, but Sean Young would've sucked as Marion. She's way too whiney and high strung, and would never carry the gritty role of Marion.

AHegele

Tom would have made a good Indiana Smith.

But i think Ford was born for Indiana Jones. and Indiana Jones wouldn't be anything without Ford, its HIS machine.

The_Raiders

AHegele said:
Tom would have made a good Indiana Smith.

But i think Ford was born for Indiana Jones. and Indiana Jones wouldn't be anything without Ford, its HIS machine.

I thought the same thing, Tom just looks more like a Smith, not a Jones. :p

SterankoII

Tom's Indy would have been like Clark Gable, which would have been fine. Only Harrison though could make have evoked Humphrey Bogart in Treasure of Sierra Madre in his portrayal.

Major West

AHegele said:

Well it is now obviously. I think TS would have probably had an equal success maybe. I think Fords willingness to throw himself into as much stunt work as possible really sold the character to us. I don't know if Selleck would have been as hands on.

Raiders of Clay

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!
Harrison is the only one who could pull off Indiana Jones. His voice, facial expressions, and the way he wears the hat is it. Ford is the only Indy and Tom couldn't pull it off.

deckard24

SterankoII said:
Tom's Indy would have been like Clark Gable, which would have been fine. Only Harrison though could make have evoked Humphrey Bogart in Treasure of Sierra Madre in his portrayal.
Great point!:hat:

Ford's Indy in Raiders is very reminiscent of Bogarts's Dobbs!