Is Staff of Kings on the DS any good?

Lance Quazar

I don't own any consoles or anything, all I have is a DS for crosswords.

But I am intrigued by the thought of a new Indy game despite mixed reviews.

Has anyone played the DS version?

is it worth it at all?

Can anyone share thoughts, experiences, opinions?

Thanks!

Stoo

Lance Quazar said:
Hey, Lance. Even though I don't have it/never played it, a few friends of mine are at A2M and worked on the DS version. One as a modeler, another as a lead designer. I did lunch with them the other week and they were telling me how they bothered to animate some swinging motion on the "satchel" (or "fanny pack" as they called it!:p) so...to all the satchel freaks out there, I say, buy it!:whip:

Here's a related portion from Tingler's excellent platform comparison in the Staff of Kings thread. Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings - Page 165, Post #2464

The Tingler said:
The DS version is the dark horse. According to people that have played it, it suffers less storyline gaps. This is presumably because it would never have handled the same PS3/360 cutscenes as the others, and so they made their own comic-book-style telling. Indy also has his satchel, yay.

There is an exclusive level set in the catacombs of Paris (don't know how that fits in the game, but whatever). However, I have no idea how it actually plays! If it plays like the Wii/PS2 version, it might be worth getting. If it plays like the PSP version, my advice about that version is the same.

Who here's actually got the DS version and can tell us about it?
I'd like to know more about it, too, so that the next time I talk to my buddies, more specific questions can be asked. (I forgot to inquire about the differences in exclusive content.)

The Tingler

Well remembered Stoo! I did get a few opinions in the end, and allowed them to form the basis for my IndyJones.net "all platforms review". Here's the Handheld page - the DS part can be found at the bottom.

If that's not enough, you can check out the first level and gameplay here.

I don't think any magazines took this game very seriously. There are very few reviews of any version other than the Wii. GameSpot's is one of the few proper DS ones I could find. Bit short, bit buggy, camera doesn't pull back enough, but otherwise not bad.

The Magic Rat

First off, hi friends. I haven't been on for like 6 months (too many issues to count....)

Anyway, the DS version is a frustrating mess. Honestly, if it didn't say Indiana Jones on it I wouldn't have finished it. It's remarkably buggy.

Lance Quazar said:
I don't own any consoles or anything, all I have is a DS for crosswords.

But I am intrigued by the thought of a new Indy game despite mixed reviews.

Has anyone played the DS version?

is it worth it at all?

Thanks!

Hmm i looked at this video it looks pretty good. But if you can buy a PSP it would be better from what i have heard. But i was reading that the Staff of Kings video was meant to be played only on the Wii.

Well here's the video i was watching. I'm going to let you decide if you like it or not.

DS Gameplay

object>

PSP Gameplay

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p0GQFAsQUO0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p0GQFAsQUO0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Lance Quazar

IndyWolf15 said:
But i was reading that the Staff of Kings video was meant to be played only on the Wii.

Heck, based on the new videos that have surfaced, it looks like it was really "meant" to be played on the PS3! What a shame!

Thanks for the videos, though. I don't own any consoles, though I considered buying a Wii to play this game until the reviews came out.

I do own a DS that I use only for crosswords, so I may buy this game just for a fun diversion if I can get it for $20. Looks mildly entertaining and my expectations aren't high.

Do they even have cut scenes, though, or is it all done in the comic book style shown here? That would be a bit of a drag.....