Heroes and Sidekicks Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Part One

Originally Posted by The New York Times

TV REVIEW; 'HEROES AND SIDEKICKS,' SPECIAL TONIGHT ON CBS By JOHN CORRY

Published: November 27, 1984

''HEROES and Sidekicks - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom,'' the CBS special on Channel 2 at 8 tonight, is really about two things: movie heroes and their pals, and the glories of the Stephen Spielberg-George Lucas film. The connection between the two is that the swashbuckling archeologist Indiana Jones has a sidekick, and that this is in the great Hollywood tradition. In fact, it seems to be the apotheosis of the tradition.

Jones's sidekick, Short Round, ''is the perfect sidekick,'' William Shatner, the narrator, says, ''loyal and funny.'' Short Round is played by a 12-year-old Vietnamese boy, Ke Huy Quan, who, in one of the excerpts we see from the Spielberg-Lucas film, says, ''Okey dokey, Dr. Jones,'' and clearly is prepared to risk his life for Harrison Ford.

This kind of thing, as Mr. Shatner tells us later, ''is as much a part of our heritage as the flag, mom and apple pie.'' That thought may be unsettling, but for the moment let it pass. Meanwhile, CBS slips in a few ringers - Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance, for example - but for the most part the heroes and sidekicks are male.

Thus we see some of the great sidekicks: Gabby Hayes, Walter Brennan, Andy Devine, Nigel Bruce, even Leonard Nimoy - Mr. Spock to Mr. Shatner's Captain Kirk. The hero- sidekick relationship seems to center on male bonding. Much of this is amusing. ''Friendship,'' we are told, ''is more important than marriage.''

And indeed, women do not figure in any of the film excerpts, other than as intruders. Women are silly. We see Kate Capshaw pouring perfume over the elephant she's riding in ''Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom'' because he smells bad. When she's not doing dumb things like that she's being rescued by Indiana and Short Round.

In its way, this is provocative stuff. ''Heroes and Sidekicks'' claims that Hollywood's heroes and sidekicks celebrate ethnic, cultural and even age diversities, and that mutual respect is what their relationships are all about. On the other hand, the heroes we see are all white Anglo- Saxons. Short Round is in the tradition of Tonto: devoted to the hero, but unlikely ever to marry into his family. Chewbaca in ''Star Wars,'' even Mr. Spock, or the characters played by the movie actor Mantan Moreland are part of the tradition, too.

Meanwhile, we also see film clips of Indiana Jones in action. As he was in ''Raiders of the Lost Ark,'' he is menaced by brown people and yellow people. (When they are not being menacing, they are standing around in crowds.) Anglo-Saxon pluck and daring must win out over machetes, bolos and swords. Short Round seems to be in there as a counterpoise and an expression of liberal sentiment. He proves that brown or yellow people need not be dangerous; they may be loyal and funny instead. ''Heroes and Sidekicks'' ignores Sabu, but he made a career of playing sidekicks like that.

''Heroes and Sidekicks,'' although it certainly doesn't mean to, suggests there is a contradiction between what our film makers say they believe, and what their films may show. By and large, the Hollywood community is liberal.

The Center for Media and Public Affairs in Washington measured some of this in a study in 1982. In the study, which also was sponsored by several universities, 104 members of the Hollywood creative community, most of them making television films, and most of them earning more than $200,000 a year, identified their political positions and what it was they believed. Some 75 percent said they were left of center politically; more important, they said they would like to rearrange the social order. They wanted consumer groups and intellectuals to be the dominant forces, with blacks and feminists next.

But how do we reconcile this with the images of the heroes and sidekicks that we see on the movie and television screen? Probably we cannot, except to note that progress is being made. Gunga Din, the quintessential sidekick, had to die for the white men in the regiment. Short Round, presumably, will only be sent back to school.

''Heroes and Sidekicks - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom'' is a Robert Guenette production, in association with Lucasfilm. The executive producers are Sid Ganis and Frank Marshall.

Last edited:
Heroes and Sidekicks Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - 02

Part Two

CAST AND CREW/FULL CREDITS

Director:
Robert Guenette Director

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cast:
William Shatner as Host

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cinematography:
Bobby Stillwell Director Of Photography
Les Mayfield Director Of Photography

Writer:
Robert Guenette Writer

Producer:
Robert Guenette Producer
Sid Ganis Executive Producer
Frank Marshall Executive Producer

Music:
John Williams Music
William Loose Music
Jack Tillar Music

Last edited:
Heroes and Sidekicks Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 04

Part Four

Who's going to catalog all the "new" making of footage?

Check out the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes ending which was re-purposed for the recent film...

Last edited:
Heroes and Sidekicks Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - 06

Part Six

Have a few more exclusive behind the scenes clips, (including Harrison trying to direct an elephant) which I'll post another time...for now, good night.

Last edited:

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Who's going to catalog all the "new" making of footage?
I've already started.;) Thanks for posting the enitre thing, Rocket!:hat: You have almost the entire thing. (There were 1 or 2 noticeable cuts). 47 minutes versus my 18 mins.

Your recording held up remarkably well compared to mine. What speed did you use? SP? I taped mine on EP because of what little blank tape was available at the time. Even though I paused it during the clips of other movies, I still wasn't able to get all the Indy stuff.

Kudos to you, DUDE!(y):cool:
RaiderMitch said:
How many Paramount movies can they plug in this special? 48 Hours? Star Trek? ....
Never mind Paramount or Indy flicks, this is a disguised tribute to Gabby Hayes! (WilliamBoyd8 should watch this.)
Darth Vile said:
Thanks Rocket... Makes me feel very nostalgic for TOD :D
Makes me feel nostalgic for other reasons. The CBS special opening brings me back. Too bad Rocket didn't include the old commercials because I collect them from the '60s-'80s.

harvey

Stoo said:
I've already started.;) Thanks for posting the enitre thing, Rocket!:hat: You have almost the entire thing. (There were 1 or 2 noticeable cuts). 47 minutes versus my 18 mins.

Your recording held up remarkably well compared to mine. What speed did you use? SP? I taped mine on EP because of what little blank tape was available at the time. Even though I paused it during the clips of other movies, I still wasn't able to get all the Indy stuff.

Kudos to you, DUDE!(y):cool:
Never mind Paramount or Indy flicks, this is a disguised tribute to Gabby Hayes! (WilliamBoyd8 should watch this.)
Makes me feel nostalgic for other reasons. The CBS special opening brings me back. Too bad Rocket didn't include the old commercials because I collect them from the '60s-'80s.

Yeah, what tape speed DID you use in Altoona, PA, Rocket?? :confused: :p

And do you know when Keith will be able to get his copies of that and Great Adventurers...or should I make him other copies?

Stoo

harvey said:
Yeah, what tape speed DID you use in Altoona, PA, Rocket?? :confused: :p
I noticed the Altoona, Pennsylvania station I.D. but figured that New Jersey residents would have been able to receive it.

My CBS affiliate was south of the border in the northeastern U.S. (Can't remember exactly where) but many things I recorded have Plattsburgh, New York or Burlington, Vermont, etc. tagged onto them. These were not local stations.

Darth Vile

Stoo said:
Yep - the commercials can conjure up memories just as good. Feeling nostalgic for that whole time period. :)

Stoo

Forgot to mention that William Shatner was born & raised in...MONTREAL!(y) (Another reason why this TV special is so near & dear to me.)

Stoo said:
I noticed the Altoona, Pennsylvania station I.D. but figured that New Jersey residents would have been able to receive it.

My CBS affiliate was south of the border in the northeastern U.S. (Can't remember exactly where) but many things I recorded have Plattsburgh, New York or Burlington, Vermont, etc. tagged onto them. These were not local stations.
Initially a Brotherhood exclusive, your egg-centric post reminded me I actually had the copy.

The perfect time to share...
...missed ya 'tana, glad to see you back for a bit of havok.

Stoo said:
Jesus H. Christ...
5 years ago, I noted that this TV special was missing from the Raider.net but the upkeep did not pay attention!:p:p:p:whip:
The excitement has worn off, and though the refurbished Literature Section looks great, no Heroes and Sidekicks revision to the Temple TV Specials page...

Don't take it personally!;)

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
The excitement has worn off,
Judging by the amount of views this thread has received (723) compared to a Forum Game like, "Defeat the Picture Above You" (which is 2 months younger and has 4280 views), there wasn't much excitement to begin with.:(
Rocket Surgeon said:
Don't take it personally!;)
I'm not. Even though I'm not a staff member, I am proud of what the TheRaider.net crew have accomplished and want it to maintain its reputation as the most complete & comprehensive Indiana Jones site on the World Wide Web. This TV special is still missing from the list!:whip:

Speaking of "Heroes & Sidekicks", guess what arrived in the mail yesterday? HaHa HeeHee HoHo.;)