What did Henry Sr. Die of?

I Don Quixote

Since Henry Sr. didn't gain immortality from the grail, what do you think he died from? Old age? Some illness? Broken heart? (I find that unlikely, but just an idea.)
And after LC, how big a blow would it be to Indy?

Finn

Staff member
I said:
Since it wasn't specified, very likely this.

I said:
Some illness?
If the above option feels too dull, sure, one could always fanon in some STD he caught off of Elsa... <or Marcus.>

Last edited:

I Don Quixote

Finn said:
If the above option feels too dull, sure, one could always fanon in some STD he caught off of Elsa... <or Marcus.>
Ha! That could be totally possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

I Don Quixote

Don't get to literal, Junior. Be creative. If you think the writers on the movie were lazy, go above and beyond and come up with a reason.

Goodeknight

250px-SeanConneryJune08_crop.jpg

He no "lazy!" He "retired!"

Henry W Jones

Finn said:
Since it wasn't specified, very likely this.

Well, unless she got it taken care of in a few days time, Indy would have caught it too! After all, was was the next man. :D

Finn

Staff member
Henry W Jones said:
Well, unless she got it taken care of in a few days time, Indy would have caught it too! After all, was was the next man.
Already got the same bug from Willie, was treated succesfully. Has immunity.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
"Extreme old age." :p

What? I'm surprised no one else used that quote.

It's the most logical answer. Even though I think it would have been more interesting for Indy's character development and story arc, if his Dad had been lost/killed on one of his adventures or died while Indy was away. There would be remorse and regret and would have been a good way to keep Indy away from adventuring or better yet, even more reckless in his pursuits.

Finn

Staff member
I said:
Did they even have a way to treat STDs back then?
Sure, they did. The most common treatment involved taking a sharp cleaver and just... lobbing it off. A little crude, but very effective.

Henry W Jones

Finn said:
Sure, they did. The most common treatment involved taking a sharp cleaver and just... lobbing it off. A little crude, but very effective.

Then how would Elsa get treated if she hadn't died?

Finn

Staff member
Henry W Jones said:
Then how would Elsa get treated if she hadn't died?
Tough break for her, I guess. Given the company she was keeping, I suppose it would have been something along the lines of "sew it shut, and let 'er rot".

I Don Quixote

Violet said:
"Extreme old age." :p

What? I'm surprised no one else used that quote.

According to the ultimate guide, Henry Sr. was born about 1875, and died in 1951. So he'd only be in his mid-70's. Not young, but not exactly "extremely old."

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I said:
According to the ultimate guide, Henry Sr. was born about 1875, and died in 1951. So he'd only be in his mid-70's. Not young, but not exactly "extremely old."

Um, hon, I was joking, it was a Last Crusade reference.