How Many?

I Don Quixote

How many days a year so you think Indy takes off to go adventuring? Hopefully not all of his personal, vacation, sick, and bereavement days. Perhaps sabbatical? I always thought you couldn't have too many of those.

InexorableTash

Good question. In the openings of Raiders, Crusade and Skull he's back in the classroom the next day without missing a beat - I imagine him collapsing into bed the previous night, then waking up bleary eyed, showering, and coming into work with his latest trinket bundled up under his arm.

Travel wasn't convenient or fast enough for those to be weekend excursions. Do the timeline dates line up with spring breaks? Or perhaps he only has classes on Tue-Thu.

Finn

Staff member
InexorableTash said:
Good question. In the openings of Raiders, Crusade and Skull he's back in the classroom the next day without missing a beat
As far as I recall, there is no indication of the time passed with the cut.

Still, if the scenes in the Pankot Palace are of any indication, Indy is pretty quick between switching the modes.

InexorableTash

Finn said:
As far as I recall, there is no indication of the time passed with the cut.

Yes, that is an assumption on my part. It is heavily implied that these scenes represent the first time he sees or talks to Marcus since his return.

I can empathize with returning home from a long trip and avoiding friends/responsibilities for a few days, though.

Goodeknight

Well, he travels as much as he can while still being able to hold onto his job at the university. But he pushes the envelope with that, as evidenced by all of the students clamoring.

Most archaeology professors did during the summers, and might get out into the field over Christmas or spring breaks. (Remember, Dec/Jan is summer south of the equator.) Throw in an occasional official sabbatical, and a few "I won't be back until Wednesday" trips and he can get out quite often.

I Don Quixote

Good point goodeknight. But if I was the dean I'd get a bit pissed if his excuse was "be back Wednesay." I'm a girl who likes to know all the details, from "what exactly are you doing" to what airline you're taking. But, since I'm NOT hte dean, I'd say that those are pretty easy ways to get away.

But then I wonder "Why teach if you'll be gone most of the time?":confused:

IndyBr

I said:

"If it weren't for the steady pay I'd take a job less strenuous than teaching!" - From the Emperor's Tomb Game manual. :hat:

Henry W Jones

I said:
Good point goodeknight. But if I was the dean I'd get a bit pissed if his excuse was "be back Wednesay." I'm a girl who likes to know all the details, from "what exactly are you doing" to what airline you're taking. But, since I'm NOT hte dean, I'd say that those are pretty easy ways to get away.

From what I can tell from cut scenes and books, he uses his position to meet girls (students). Bad Indy, BAD!!!!!!

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
From what I can tell from cut scenes and books, he uses his position to meet girls (students). Bad Indy, BAD!!!!!!

Part-time thief.

Full-time skirt chaser.

No wonder the kids of today are messed up. Their ancestors mistook Indy for a role model !

I Don Quixote

IndyBr said:
"If it weren't for the steady pay I'd take a job less strenuous than teaching!" - From the Emperor's Tomb Game manual. :hat:
Good point. I don't play Indy games, so that was helpful.

And I tip my hat to you, Montana and Henry W Jones, for the insight on Indy's girl chasing.:hat:

But, the wag of my finger goes to Indy, for being a naughty little professor.:p

I.M.J.

I said:
How many days a year so you think Indy takes off to go adventuring? Hopefully not all of his personal, vacation, sick, and bereavement days. Perhaps sabbatical? I always thought you couldn't have too many of those.

The school would pay for his trips when they are a sanctioned dig or recovery. If it was planned, then they wouldn't schedule him to teach a course that semester, and his funded tomb robbing (err.... digs, -ahem-) would probably equate to "research" that other tenured professors at a large institution are often required to do resulting in published papers annually.

His time spent during the whole Temple of Doom ordeal was probably wrapped up into funding from the College because he could link that "adventure" into what was probably funded by them for finding Nuhachi's urn and then "negotiating" the buy of Peacock's Eye.

Last edited: