Thailand

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Looks like I?ll be in Thailand next month at the Bangkok Marriott Hotel. Woo-Hoo! So excited because I?ve never been to The Orient before. Can?t wait! :D

You're one month too early for Songkran, the Thai New Year. You should be in time for the 2017 King's Cup.

I don't have any recent info to draw upon, but I do keep a ready list of hotels from various locales that I've either stayed in or want to stay in.

I find The Peninsula Hotels to have the finest collection of hotels throughout Asia, and Bangkok is no different. Their location on the Chao Praya River is superb.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NRmniRW55Bw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Mandarin-Oriental is, of course, the first* hotel in Bangkok and they're no slouch either. Try the Bamboo Bar. Both hotels amenities are highly recommended even if you don't stay at either location.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i27Ns5wOEjU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

* - The Mandarin was the actually the first hotel and then later merged with The Oriental giving rise to the global chain you know today.

Also worth looking into: Arun Residence, Chakrabongse Villas, and Ariyasom Villa/

Life's too short to stay in chain hotels.

And since you want to visit the Bridge Over the Not River Kwai, it's worth stopping over at at the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market.

Stoo

dr.jones1986 said:
If you have any other questions let me know. What brings you to Bangkok, just pleasure or are you going for business?
So glad to hear that you finally made it there, Dr.Jones1986! (y) My girlfriend is going for business and I'm tagging along for pleasure so the adventurous stuff will be mine alone.

Thanks a lot for your info. I've never heard of Jim Thompson before but 'googled' him. Having worked in the schmatta industry for several years, I am now very interested in his disappearance! :eek:
Le Saboteur said:
You're one month too early for Songkran, the Thai New Year. You should be in time for the 2017 King's Cup.
Looked it up: Elephant Polo? Man, I'm going to be a few days late for that! :(

Le Saboteur said:
The Mandarin-Oriental is, of course, the first* hotel in Bangkok and they're no slouch either. Try the Bamboo Bar. Both hotels amenities are highly recommended even if you don't stay at either location.
---
And since you want to visit the Bridge Over the Not River Kwai, it's worth stopping over at at the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market.
This is why I love ya, Sabby-babe! :) As I drift down the river to the Bridge NOT on the River Kwai, I'll think of you (and Dr.Jones1986) while investigating the opportunity to check out that floating market. Nice tip.

As you well know, Bamboo Bar sounds like my kind of place. (y)

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
So glad to hear that you finally made it there, Dr.Jones1986! (y) My girlfriend is going for business and I'm tagging along for pleasure so the adventurous stuff will be mine alone.

Thanks a lot for your info. I've never heard of Jim Thompson before but 'googled' him. Having worked in the schmatta industry for several years, I am now very interested in his disappearance! :eek:
Looked it up: Elephant Polo? Man, I'm going to be a few days late for that! :(

This is why I love ya, Sabby-babe! :) As I drift down the river to the Bridge NOT on the River Kwai, I'll think of you (and Dr.Jones1986) while investigating the opportunity to check out that floating market. Nice tip.

As you well know, Bamboo Bar sounds like my kind of place. (y)

I forgot to mention in addition to a train ride along the railway following the river, I did float on a bamboo raft along the Khwae Noi. Glad I peaked your interest in Jim Thompson, I found the information on his life and mysterious disappearance interesting. It happened in 1967 during the Cold War and in an exotic local like Southeast Asia, sounds like a great setting for Indy 5 if you ask me.