The Magnificent Seven (2016)

Wedge Antilles

I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard several people who have seen it say that they liked it. I liked Magnificent Seven (1960) as well as Seven Samurai. For people that have seen the new version, would you recommend seeing it?

Le Saboteur

Wedge Antilles said:
For people that have seen the new version, would you recommend seeing it?

No, I can't recommend it. But if you're also trapped in a flying metal tube for twenty-four hours, then I can't fault you if you watch it. As it is, the remake is... the Reader's Digest version of all the things that the Western genre is famous for -- wide open vistas, colorful characters, rugged individualism, etc.

There are some interesting things going on with some of the characters that would have made an interesting movie unto themselves, but as presented? It suffers greatly under the watch words of 'diversity' and 'inclusion'. We don't need a Comanche or a girl or even the brief bit of racial politics at the beginning that reinforces, yes, Denzel Washington is a black guy. Drop just one of those aspects and you'll have a few more minutes of screen time to get to know the characters and their motivations.

But worse than that? The climactic battle. It's, like, forty five minutes long and it's boring.

I'd love to see an entire movie about Ethan Hawke's Confederate sharpshooter or D'Onofrio's possibly unhinged Indian fighter.