Creepy Crawlies for Indy 4?

Primo

Put Some English on It

Putting "English on it" refers to putting a nasty spin on a tennis ball when returned. That is exactly what Mr. Spielberg, Koepp and Lucas need to do with the next "Skin Crawling Scene" regardless of what creature they actually use. What I mean is, the situation has to be a little more extreme than the previous films.

It seemed to me that in Last Crusade we were expecting the Skin Crawling Scene and it got served up to us without much flair or flavor (it was effective, but can you honestly say that it stacked up to Raiders' snakes, or Temple's bugs? Not just in terms of the creature, but in the overall set up and pay off?). Maybe we were just desensitized by the time Crusade rolled around, but I think it could have been amped up at least a few notches.

In Indy 4 the situation in which Indy confronts the creepy little beasties has got to be REALLY disgusting and exciting. REALLY push it to a place that is surprising. We're expecting the scene, but hopefully Spielberg can push our buttons and manipulate us into thinking, "Jeez, I didn't expect THAT! I didn't know they'd go THERE!" It's got to violate good tast a bit. Push our comfort zone a little. Elevate our pulse. Really go for it.

The way I'm talking I'm sure there are those saying, "What about my kids? I don't want them being traumatized." I say, It's important to keep it fun, but not "kiddie" fun. I know children are a big audience for Indy. Hell, I was one of them. But we shouldn't underestimate the little tykes. They like to be scared as much as we do. It's why we go to the movies; to feel something, to experience something. That's why the Skin Crawling Scene shouldn't be watered down for their sake. There has to be that element of danger and fright. That would make us as an audience so involved and participatory. Get us on the edge of our seats. Make us squirm. Make us scream. Give us the unexpected. The dangerous. Put some English on it.

Primo said:
Putting "English on it" refers to putting a nasty spin on a tennis ball when returned. That is exactly what Mr. Spielberg, Koepp and Lucas need to do with the next "Skin Crawling Scene" regardless of what creature they actually use. What I mean is, the situation has to be a little more extreme than the previous films.

It seemed to me that in Last Crusade we were expecting the Skin Crawling Scene and it got served up to us without much flair or flavor (it was effective, but can you honestly say that it stacked up to Raiders' snakes, or Temple's bugs? Not just in terms of the creature, but in the overall set up and pay off?). Maybe we were just desensitized by the time Crusade rolled around, but I think it could have been amped up at least a few notches.

In Indy 4 the situation in which Indy confronts the creepy little beasties has got to be REALLY disgusting and exciting. REALLY push it to a place that is surprising. We're expecting the scene, but hopefully Spielberg can push our buttons and manipulate us into thinking, "Jeez, I didn't expect THAT! I didn't know they'd go THERE!" It's got to violate good tast a bit. Push our comfort zone a little. Elevate our pulse. Really go for it.

The way I'm talking I'm sure there are those saying, "What about my kids? I don't want them being traumatized." I say, It's important to keep it fun, but not "kiddie" fun. I know children are a big audience for Indy. Hell, I was one of them. But we shouldn't underestimate the little tykes. They like to be scared as much as we do. It's why we go to the movies; to feel something, to experience something. That's why the Skin Crawling Scene shouldn't be watered down for their sake. There has to be that element of danger and fright. That would make us as an audience so involved and participatory. Get us on the edge of our seats. Make us squirm. Make us scream. Give us the unexpected. The dangerous. Put some English on it.

Fantastic. Count me in on that. Leeches in a jungle river scene... Bats in a jungle cave scene... Big fat juicy maggots in anywhere old and decayed... And ratcheted up a bit to make it sqeamish as hell.

Matinee Idyll

Next 'critter' sequence?

What could/should they do next? I think they've already covered most of the bases.

Snakes, Bugs, Rats...

LVskywalker

spiders... we had spiders in raiders, but the scene was quite short. so my guess is spiders, or snakes. Or we'll have spiders, snakes, bugs and rats in the same room. would be kind of... creepy. (y)

"Indiana Jones and the secret of the pet shop"

Last edited:

fixer79

What about scorpions? Big black venomous scorpions...
Lots of species to choose from (there's even one called the 'whip scorpion' :whip: ) and they'd gross me out more than spiders, bugs and rats together.

SCORPIONS = ICKY!

oki9Sedo

fixer79 said:
What about scorpions? Big black venomous scorpions...
Lots of species to choose from (there's even one called the 'whip scorpion' :whip: ) and they'd gross me out more than spiders, bugs and rats together.

SCORPIONS = ICKY!

I agree that scorpions are the most terrifying creatures on the planet, but they're bugs.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Well, the river sequences that apparently exist make piranhas very possible.

Of course, the old Saucermen script had the scene done with large, creepy, arachnid-like aliens.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I have it on good authority that with the cameo of all of the women we?ve learned of in the Indiana Jones Universe, that Christmas Island will be featured prominently, especially with reference to Fates of Atlantis, and that a bad case of the crabs in on his agenda:

crabscrossroad.jpg

I just can't see how piranhas could work in the same kind of way. They hardly ooze a sense of foreboding do they? They just eat flesh of they get a sense of blood... Like in that really bad 70's film.

I think crabs is more likely. Or leeches. Or the fire ants scene from saucer men.