Indiana Jones Adventures RPG modules !?

hovitos

Have just spotted an 'Indiana Jones Adventures' RPG book on ebay. Seems to be from West End Games. Has anyone played this RPG? What's it like compared to the version TSR put out? Is there much a community for either system?

West End Indy

It was part of their universal roleplaying system called Masterbook. Indiana Jones Adventures itself is not the actual system, but scenarios to use.

I never played the Masterbook rules, but I have read them and have all of the Indiana Jones accessories for it. It seemed to be e very good system, and the products had excellent production values, especially for its time. The Raiders and Temple hardbacks themselves were exceptional. I was disappointed West End Games never completed the hardback series and there was no Last Crusade hardback.

Lance Quazar

I never played the games, but I had a chance to peruse the modules many years ago. I may even still have one of them somewhere, some source book or something.

I was disappointed they didn't use the extremely user-friendly d6 system they created for their "Star Wars" RPG - though conversion formulas were readily available.

From what I could tell, however, the books were extremely well-done.

Not surprising considering the absolutely stellar (no pun intended) quality of the Star Wars RPG material. Material which became a wellspring of imagination and creativity which the (far less talented) crop of EU writers dipped into while fashioning the EU in the early nineties and beyond. The SW game was wonderful, brilliantly executed. (And those ancient campaigns gave rise to the moniker that I still use to this day.)

Lance Quazar said:
I was disappointed they didn't use the extremely user-friendly d6 system they created for their "Star Wars" RPG - though conversion formulas were readily available.

I just pulled my copy of Indiana Jones Adventures off the shelf. I incorrectly stated that it was part of the Masterbook series. In actuality, this particular module was one done to convert the Indy line to the d6 rules. Sorry if I misled anyone in that earlier description.

Lance Quazar

punisher5150 said:
I just pulled my copy of Indiana Jones Adventures off the shelf. I incorrectly stated that it was part of the Masterbook series. In actuality, this particular module was one done to convert the Indy line to the d6 rules. Sorry if I misled anyone in that earlier description.

After reading this thread, I did some digging and apparently they made a running change and later Indy books DID use d6, just not the earlier ones.

I'm not sure what the masterman system is, but it seems to be based on percentile dice, which is a very efficient system - used by Top Secret/SI (the revised version of the older "Top Secret" game.)

However, I found the d6 system to be very easy and user friendly. It made for a very brisk, fast-paced playing style, which was perfect for the lighthearted swashbuckling of the "Star Wars" universe.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but did some of those Indiana Jones books use pre-made character templates, like the "Star Wars" game did? If so, I think that would have been a great inclusion, particularly in light of the greater difficulty in finding characters interesting and suitable for the Indiana Jones universe.

Wow, this thread has gotten me excited. Wish I could break open some books and play a new campaign!

I'd like to see some Indy adventures for the Savage Worlds RPG

That rule system seems to be the BEST rule system for pulp-type adventures.

Nate Christen

I think the D6 System definitely had potential, but I would also agree that Savage Worlds has some strong possibilities.

-Nate