Do you know anyone who's never seen Indiana Jones?

WilliamBoyd8

Many people haven't seen any of the Indiana Jones films.

Living in caves, cabins in Montana, remove villages in the Himalaya, etc.

:)

Last edited:

Canyon

I think that the only people I know who have never seen the Indy movies are my mum and dad. I know that my aunt saw Raiders in the cinema and enjoyed it, but has not seen the other movies, as far as I am aware. ;)

Dr.Jonesy said:
Actually I've never seen a Star Wars movie :eek:

If it makes you feel any better, I actually didn't see the SW movies until the mid nineties, almost twenty years after the original had been released. ;)

shazamtd

Dr.Jonesy said:
Actually I've never seen a Star Wars movie :eek:
Canyon said:
If it makes you feel any better, I actually didn't see the SW movies until the mid nineties, almost twenty years after the original had been released.
If it makes either of you feel any better, I've never seen any of the Lord of the Rings.

I introduced a buddy to them in the lead-up to KOTCS and he became a mild fan, although he still shakes his head at how much I love the movies. My nephew loves Indy, but has not seen any of the movies yet. He's seen some of the Young Indy series and loves the Lego games, but at age 7 has a tendency to go overboard in imitating any fighting and action he sees, so he's not quite ready for the movies just yet.

Hopefully the movies playing on USA network so much recently will help to introduce them to some people who hadn't seen them before.

Morning Bell

I've known a couple. I'm always shocked because it seems like Indy is one of those franchises that everyone knows and has seen at least some of.

fenris

I think a lot of people know the name Indiana Jones, but have never seen the films. They know who he is and know he's a popular archaeologist/adventurer, but that's it. Some might even think he's a cowboy (yes, I've heard that before).

Indy has been part of pop-culture that it's almost impossible to not hear references to the film/character/scenes. That's probably why some people only know of him but never watched the movies (especially the younger generation).

...or... they've watched bits and pieces of the movies while watching TV or flipping through channels where it's being shown.

It's like a few people here who've never seen LOTR but know who the characters and plot are (well I'm assuming you have a vague idea of the story).

My wife had never watched any of the Indiana Jones movies until we got married. Then I made her watch them all. :) However, she has made me endure hours of mind numbing reality TV so I think she got the last laugh.

mattzilla2010

In 2004 I was at Disneyland with my family, and we were in line for the Indy attraction. This girl in front of us, older than me, says to her dad "Who's Indiana Jones?" I involuntarily squealed/screamed at the thought of anybody not knowing who Indiana Jones was. She should not have been allowed on that ride. :whip:

Also, a good friend of mine had never seen them before... until I found out. He said he never saw 'em because he thought they were "dumb" (yet he likes Transformers, go figure). But I have managed to force him to watch Raiders and Temple so far, he has admitted to liking both. I hope to get around to the other two soon.

JP Jones

I've known a lot of people who hadn't seen an Indy movie, but I seem to have a knack of persuding people to check them out. My cousin and friend are now two new Indy fans.

the lost ark

mattzilla2010 said:
In 2004 I was at Disneyland with my family, and we were in line for the Indy attraction. This girl in front of us, older than me, says to her dad "Who's Indiana Jones?" I involuntarily squealed/screamed at the thought of anybody not knowing who Indiana Jones was. She should not have been allowed on that ride. :whip:

Also, a good friend of mine had never seen them before... until I found out. He said he never saw 'em because he thought they were "dumb" (yet he likes Transformers, go figure). But I have managed to force him to watch Raiders and Temple so far, he has admitted to liking both. I hope to get around to the other two soon.

Winner of the thread!:hat:

JayDee

My girl friend. But it is always fascinating how people (that includes her) who never saw ANY damn minute of these films are saying: "Indiana Jones? Star Wars? Oh my god, what a bunch of unrealistic fantasy crap! Not with me!"

fenris

IndyJones5183 said:
At the time she was probably 15 or 16 years old.We aren't friends now though.

That's probably understandable given the age; but once a person gets older and gets to read more stuff, they're bound to come upon a reference to Indy. Although, they might not immediately understand who he is. If they have inquisitive minds, they'd probably research who that "Indiana Jones" fellow is.

MalcolmReynolds

when I was younger the thought of seeing a black and white movie made me laugh. I told my parents "why would I want to watch a film in B&W. I turn 40 in 3 weeks. People growing up in todays Hi-Tek computer movies like Avatar can not imagine seeing a movie that's not ladden with SFX. Story line is secondary to them. I want to be "WOW'd" when I watch something. alot of people aren't going to get Indy these days. Seeing Indy refrences won't mean anything to peole in 10 years until they ask what your talking about.
The old refrence of "Kilroy was here" made no sense to me when I was a kid because I wasn't around when it was. Indy and Star Wars will eventually end up the same way. Hell Star Trek will never fade cause they keep it alive.
And for people who haven't seen Lord of the Rings. Take the risk. Your sure to be amazed by it. No different than you asking someone now a days to watch a 30 year old Raiders. That takes place in 1936. But then again a 30 year old Blade Runner might be easy to convince them.

Indy's brother

MalcolmReynolds said:
when I was younger the thought of seeing a black and white movie made me laugh. I told my parents "why would I want to watch a film in B&W. I turn 40 in 3 weeks. People growing up in todays Hi-Tek computer movies like Avatar can not imagine seeing a movie that's not ladden with SFX. Story line is secondary to them. I want to be "WOW'd" when I watch something. alot of people aren't going to get Indy these days. Seeing Indy refrences won't mean anything to peole in 10 years until they ask what your talking about.
The old refrence of "Kilroy was here" made no sense to me when I was a kid because I wasn't around when it was. Indy and Star Wars will eventually end up the same way. Hell Star Trek will never fade cause they keep it alive.
And for people who haven't seen Lord of the Rings. Take the risk. Your sure to be amazed by it. No different than you asking someone now a days to watch a 30 year old Raiders. That takes place in 1936. But then again a 30 year old Blade Runner might be easy to convince them.

I get what your saying about cultural references becoming passe, but Kilroy's origins are more dubious, unlike Indy, whose film history is readily available to anyone. For example, before the King Kong remake, most people old enough to go to the movies without their parents knew the character, even if they didn't know the full plot of the original film. Indy and Star Wars are too big and too often referenced in other media to be completely forgotten, ever. I don't doubt that over time Indy will be regarded by modern youth as a relic of the past himself, like the way I grew up knowing who Groucho Marx is, without ever watching a Marx brothers film until a few weeks ago. I also turn 40 soon, and Groucho peaked before WWII, 40 years before I was born! Indy is a classic, and classics never truly go out of style. :hat: