If Indy 5,6,7,8,9,10 was on the cards...

peterlally

If they decided to go down the James Bond route, who would you you like to see take on the whip and hat?

My vote would be no Indy's without Ford but if they did go ahead who would you most like to take over the role? :whip:

Professor Jones

Very good Peterlally, that's a topic I was about to post myself.

I just wanted to suggest you the paragon with the James Bond franchising... I've really loved the first movies (the Connery ones).

If you look at them you may be sure the fourth Indy movie will be as good as the previous. Dr. No was great, From Russia with Love even deeper, under certain aspects, and certainly as much artistic and enjoyable, Goldfinger was marvellous and I believe very fine in the plot and the settings, and so was Thunderball... Even "Never Say Never again", shoot "unofficially" many decades later was still intriguing, because it had the same "ingredient" as the first movies.

Now, you can observe the Bond serie start cracking when the main character changed. Every actor gave a peculiar (dis-)appeal to the movies, and I must say that after the charme of Connery was very difficult to keep the level such as high.

And actually none of them was really able to give the same thrill to the public.

So I think that 'till Indy ingredients will remain the same (Harrison, Spielberg, Williams, Lucas plus culture+action+mysticism+archaeology+travels and so on) the further movie(s) will be great.

I see no other possible Indy than Harrison. Neither Shia. But since you've asked, I must confess that I thought a valid substitute (JUST HYPOTHETICALLY DON'T EVEN THINK WANTING TO SEE HIM IN INDY'S OUTFIT!) could be Clive Owen.

peterlally

Professor Jones said:
I must confess that I thought a valid substitute (JUST HYPOTHETICALLY DON'T EVEN THINK WANTING TO SEE HIM IN INDY'S OUTFIT!) could be Clive Owen.

Ralph Fiennes?

patient961118.gif

kongisking

sarah navarro said:
dennis quaid , although hes only about 15yrs younger than harrison and looks just as old
70e605e6.jpg

clive owen is a good choice

That's what I was thinking, since Quaid looks so much like Ford. But I would like to continue the series with Indy's son. It makes sense: "an Indy for our generation" literally!

oki9Sedo

Nobody. Indiana Jones isn't like James Bond.

When James Bond was recast, Connery had only been an icon for five years. Harrison's Indy has been an icon for almost 30 years. Thats a much bigger hurdle to overcome in the public consciousness.

loganbush

Nobody. Indiana Jones isn't like James Bond.

When James Bond was recast, Connery had only been an icon for five years. Harrison's Indy has been an icon for almost 30 years. Thats a much bigger hurdle to overcome in the public consciousness.

Well really 18 but that doesn't change anything.

Professor Jones

loganbush said:
Well really 18 but that doesn't change anything.

Well, actually being him an Icon since 1981 they're 25, so almost 30, as Oki9sedo just said. And I agree (and repeat): no other than Ford.

NileQT87

nathan fillion seems to get mentioned bunches because mal reynolds is big homage to han solo.

but i honestly think another joss alumnus, alexis denisof (wesley wyndham-pryce), would be more interesting in the role. he developed a lot of range, and played both the book nerd and the super badass (alexis isn't actually british in real life).

nathan fillion never was on any of the shows long enough to really show half as much range. i'd mention david boreanaz as somebody who seems like he should be a manly, but vulnerable hero in bigger roles... but he's built too much like a football player, whereas alexis is more of the early 20th century tall but slender body build--and looks great with stubble. indy strikes me as being on the lean side and alexis is more that than both nathan and david. alexis also has an extraordinary emotional range--from goofy dork comedy to depression, sadism and pathos. he's great at being a brainy anti-hero.

anyway... i can see alexis as an action hero and part-time professor more than nathan fillion, who doesn't strike me as being someone who could pass for a professor-type. though, fillion has the deeper/stronger voice.

AngelWesley10.jpg
Wesley_Wyndam-Price.jpg

Alexisdenisof.jpg

seriously though, joss whedon's cast members are seriously underrated and it seems like hollywood doesn't find them mainstream enough, despite the massive buffy/angel/firefly fanbases--the diehards rival the star wars and indiana jones fanbase. angel is the best of whedon's shows, btw. the first 3 seasons of buffy are classic, though. firefly was disappointing to me (it really hadn't taken off when it was canceled--the movie was closer to what i'd expect from the end of a joss season than even a full story), but i liked serenity, as it felt a lot more like btvs/ats (especially the focus on river, who is a bit of a take on drusilla--joss has a thing for mental triggers and psychotically damaged individuals with special gifts).

the main hollywood casting machine totally looks past them despite so many fans wanting them to do real stuff. david and alexis, imo, are the two i think should be given some big chances and would do well in a variety of roles.

but of course, at the end of the day, there is only one indiana jones: harrison ford.

Last edited:

Kernunnos

James Bond has been a completely different character with each of the actors who played him, with Sean Connery being the best and Roger Moore being by far the worst. The rest have been poor or average and haven't really done the character justice in the way Sean did.

I don't want to see that happen to Indy.

Indy can only be Harrison Ford for me. Change the actor, and you'll have a totally different character.

NileQT87

i guess my one reservation about fillion, despite having the han solo style... is that firefly/serenity didn't last long enough for the characters to really show more complete facets, so fillion didn't have quite so many things to play (river is really the only one who was driving the story--she was the angel-size plot catalyst, in that regard). but fillion is more sarcastic than denisof, whereas denisof is very dry.

alexis' big drawback would be that at his darker side, he is a quieter kind of badass. a little bit darker when he's in that mode than harrison. the wesley character was a bit of a trigger-happy decision maker post-season 3 ats. instead of shooting because one's tired, he'd be the one to shoot looking straight at you when you fall over. less reluctant. so in that respect, wesley might not work as a comparison. but i really do wonder what the actor might do. it would be a different style though.

on second thought, alexis strikes me as more clint eastwood than harrison ford.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BklShnwbQlI

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Well, if it were to be recast, one would hope it would be done in a fashion differently than Ford so we could get a different spin on the character. One off-the-wall idea I'd thought of in the "if they were first being made today" was Johnny Depp and Christopher Walken as a quirkier spin on Indy and his father.

Niteshade007

I think Harrison does a great job as Indy, but when Indy IV first started being discussed on imdb, at first I sided with those on the "Indy can only be played by Harrison Ford"...then I saw pictures of Harrison, and I started to sway more towards the "who should replace him" crowd. I think it's great that Harrison is returning to play Indy, and I think that he doesn't look horrible either, especially considering that he's 65. However, I don't it's much of a testament to a particular character if only one actor can portray him "correctly."