Im Sure Indy 5 Is Set For 2009!

|ZiR|

Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones. And I vehemently hope that Shia Labeouf has the good common sense to both respect and understand that, turning down any potential "Son of Indiana Jones" spin-offs.

Vendetta08

Parzival said:
I've always maintained that the sheer amount of stories that the character of Indiana Jones encompasses should not be limited merely because of the age of the original actor. I know I know, Harrison Ford is Indy and vice versa, yadda yadda yadda..

Where as I respect everyone's opinion who says no Ford no Indy, I would have no problem seeing a new actor take over the role provided that the script/story be superb and worth making.

It's honestly too late. They can't recast Indiana Jones now. They waited too long. It's now impossible, especially after bringing Ford back in his 60s to play the role again.

Jackson

I would accept a recasting of Indiana Jones over killing the character and never seeing him again on screen just because Harrison is to old to play him. They should make it like Bond. I could even handle a new writer and director. Let the character live on. Not that I dont love Harrison and he will always be Indiana Jones.

jackson

davidsal

For me Sean Connery IS James Bond. But I enjoyed every single James Bond movie without him. But his movies are still here.

indy34 said:
I think the best guy to replace harrison would be the guy from the new flight of the pheonix

You mean Dennis Quaid. (y) I've always thought he would have been a great choice too. (y) He has a quite close resemblance to Harrison Ford, and he is also a great actor!! We couldn't have asked for more, but... unfortunately he is not SO younger than Harrison, so I think there's no way he can become a replacement for him, even if they finally decided to bring other adventures on screen.

Anyway... I am a fan of Indiana Jones portrayed by the ONE AND ONLY, Harrison Ford himself. He is one of my favourite actors and the character of Indy is my favourite action/adventure hero of all time. All I'm trying to say is that I'm strongly against the idea of any kind of recasting. And I'm not interested in a series of films about his (supposed to be) son either.

indy34

Yeah my dad thought Indy 4 would be crap because he thought Harrison would be to old to do it and they would recast with totally different people.

The Stranger said:
You mean Dennis Quaid. (y) I've always thought he would have been a great choice too. (y) He has a quite close resemblance to Harrison Ford, and he is also a great actor!! We couldn't have asked for more, but... unfortunately he is not SO younger than Harrison, so I think there's no way he can become a replacement for him, even if they finally decided to bring other adventures on screen.

Anyway... I am a fan of Indiana Jones portrayed by the ONE AND ONLY, Harrison Ford himself. He is one of my favourite actors and the character of Indy is my favourite action/adventure hero of all time. All I'm trying to say is that I'm strongly against the idea of any kind of recasting. And I'm not interested in a series of films about his (supposed to be) son either.

Lol, Dennis Quaid is 53! We'd still be seeing an Indy in the 1950s.

IF they were to recast Indy (and I hope to hell they never do), I'd hope they picked a guy in his mid-20s so we could see that stage of Indy's life. It's severely under-represented outside of several novels.

Actually that wouldn't be a bad idea. I think some new flicks about Indy's first days as an archeologist would be very cool. You know, his first expeditions and all those kind of stuff.

But the producers would have to choose an actor physically similar to a crossover between Harrison Ford and River Phoenix (who portraied Indy as an adolescent... I'm one of those fans which never really liked Sean Patrick Flanery. He was good but he simply WASN'T Indy to me... maybe it's my fault, I don't know).

However, I guess such an actor wouldn't be easy to find. :(

deckard24

"crossover between Harrison Ford and River Phoenix"

I never thought Phoenix looked at all like Ford. He did a good job on Ford's mannerisms, but I never thought looking at him that he would grow up to be Ford's Indy. Also his hair was annoying as hell in that movie, and his continual playing with it was really distracting. The whole scene of him brushing it apart so he could see the lion, even irked me as a kid.

For that matter Sean Patrick Flannery never really looked much like Ford either.

not more indy movies! i can't believe this lucas has got to stop he put his baby first with star wars. you can't have it both ways. harrison is too old and i don't want to see Shia Labeouf in any more movies. just look at how much the young indy chronicles sucked. :eek:

Paulio

This is my first post on theraider.net despite being a fan of the site for quite a few years reading posts since I first heard Indy 4 rumours, I am glad i will finally get off the mark with Indy 4 fast approaching. Now to my comment:

I am open minded on both sets of views in this thread but agree there should be no more Indy movies unless ford is in them, Spielberg is involved, and they are filmed as soon as possible. However, after thinking about it, while ford is essential for Indy he's not the only thing that makes me love the films. One of the other main reasons is the artefacts in the films (as they are associated with myths I have grown up with), how Indy learns and finds them, and the feeling after seeing the film of whether these myths are true and out there today (the kid in me is still there!).

Therefore I would be willing to give a "son of Indiana Jones" film a chance as long as:

1...There is no imitations, i.e. it doesn't have Shia (or whoever) trying to imitate ford with his mannerisms, clothing etc. The "son" would need to make the film(s) his own, with his own style, and if that gives us the same feelings as the ford films then great. It would need to have the same type of adventures. There could be a slight connection between them such as the Fedora for example.

2...It does not affect the previous films - If I watched a "son of Indiana" type film and it was rubbish then it wont affect my enjoyment of the ford films. I guess that the star wars prequels may slightly affect fans enjoyment of the star wars 4 to 6 films?

Before I go I just one to make a few of points that I believe:

1...As said before, no more Indy films without Ford in them. This will be a big disaster even with a great replacement. It just wouldn't feel right.

2...I suspect that there wont be any more Ford Indy films as I believe Spielberg among others will be on other projects but its nice to think that if Indy 4 is comparable to the previous films then Spielberg and Lucas have more scripts available since Crusade.

3...I recently watched the Transformers movie at the cinema, I liked it (despite some cheesy moments). I think Shias performance was pretty good and he had good "Indy" kind of moments in that film including various face expressions, and good comedy timing.

4...Any future "son" would need to have script writers, directors, producers, music writers etc, better than the current staff. The current staff are probably contracted to other projects in future so future staff would need to be exceptional. How do you replace Spielberg?

5...Can you imagine any of the Indy movies having that guy from the Mummy (Brendan Fraser) or any other film of the same genre playing the role? It would be nowhere the same as the Ford performance and any Indy 6 film would need Harrison.

Sorry for the outburst of opinions and long post, here's my first smiley for Indy 4, (y) ,cant wait, and even if it sucks the series will still highly rate in my film watching experience.

Paulio

Actually, i have a question that needs answering. Who owns the rights for the indy series, Is it spielberg/lucas or paramount? Do paramount have the right to release more indy films (or directly ralated spin-offs) without the permission of spielberg/lucas and if not do spielberg/lucas only have rights for a certain amount of time?

The reason why im asking is that in many, many years time (say fifty years)would a film company be able to release new Indy films/ or re-make old Indy films?

Just a thought, but it makes me think that if spielberg/lucas refuse to make more films/spin-off films, the film company(s) can still bring it back in future. :confused:

Finn

Staff member
LucasFilm has the rights to the character, so without them there is no making Indy merchandise (fanwork apart, of course).

Paramount is the distributor. They simply sell the finished pieces around and then share the earnings with the company that holds the actual rights.

Simple, no?

Of course, all rights like this DO get old sometime, but that'll take more than our lifetime...

Paulio

Thanks Finn, that makes sense.

I would hope that if the original staff didnt do any more films/spin-offs then there wouldnt be any other film industry people who would do it to make a bit of sequel money!

It's a nice thought but I find it impossible. If it took eighteen years to get to this point, I can't see them waiting eighteen WEEKS before filming the next one.

:eek: