Indy dying in 4 or Indy 5 without Ford? Choose!

Kingsley

The only possibility to do an Indy 5 without Ford is a prequel. Why change the actor if the character is in his sixties?

I'll go for the Dying option... in an epilogue in the 90's, still played by Ford. That could be a reason to remove the George Hall's scenes.

Dr.Sartorius

UCFKevin said:
I would rather see Indiana Jones get torn apart by a pack of ravenous wolves at the end of Indy 4 than see an Indy 5 starring Shia LeBouf.

If there is any Mutt spin-off it better not bear the Indiana Jones name - unless Harrison Ford is the lead actor or main character.

And I will be :mad: :mad: if Indy gives his hat and whip to Shia.

Having said that I'm not against any Mutt Williams solo movies. As long its separate from the Indy series and doesn't try to make Shia into a new young Indy.

ben85

Dr.Sartorius said:
If there is any Mutt spin-off it better not bear the Indiana Jones name - unless Harrison Ford is the lead actor or main character.

And I will be :mad: :mad: if Indy gives his hat and whip to Shia.

Having said that I'm not against any Mutt Williams solo movies. As long its separate from the Indy series and doesn't try to make Shia into a new young Indy.

I guess there is a possibility of Indy "retiring on screen", by passing on his legacy in a symbolic manner (as suggested by the poster above - giving his hat and whip to Shia), but if thats going to happen they better leave the series right there and not make any more films under the "Indiana Jones" name, unless Indy 5 is a prequel or something

I have faith though that those involve appreciate and respect who is the man behind the name and legacy of Indiana Jones, so they won't do something as stupid as making an "Indiana Jones presents" or "Indiana Jones: A New Legend" or some spinoff like that.

Mutt285

herr gruber said:
Would you rather Indy died in Indy 4 rather than another actor replacing him in Indy 5? I personally love the character too much and would swallow my pride and go with the new actor. Indy must not die, whatever the cost, in my opinion.

(If this has been covered then discard this thread like Tom Selleck's audition tapes).

Well then you are naive. All great heroes die at some point and if there is ever going to be an Indiana Jones 5 then it shouldn't be called Indiana Jones it should be called the Adventures of Mutt Williams and the Journey to Atlantis or something crazy like that . He has the hat that Indy gives him and Indy is dead.

That is the only way we could have an Indy 5 movie if not then they should stop at 4 because the fourth film is most likely going to be disappointing anyway. I mean it is brought to you by the guy who made another Star Wars Trilogy that was the most disappointing thing since prom night for some trek fan.

Michael24

Mutt285 said:
I mean it is brought to you by the guy who made another Star Wars Trilogy that was the most disappointing thing since prom night for some trek fan.

If Lucas was directing, I'd be worried. But Spielberg is, so I'm not. Even though Lucas created the character, he's always seemed to pretty much let it be Spielberg's series and more or less take a backseat.

Shortround2008

Shia showed several Indy traits in the transformer movie and helped carry the picture. I could live with him being a new young Indy "mutt" jones.

This is really a lose-lose scenario. It's not like there's not a third option--no more Indy movies after KOTCS and he lives!

At the same time, a spin off, not entitled "Indiana Jones and the..." wouldn't be a terrible idea. However, it would be a pale shadow no matter what, if Ford weren't involved.

OmegaSeamaster

herr gruber said:
Would you rather Indy died in Indy 4 rather than another actor replacing him in Indy 5?

I'd rather see Shia not listen to Indy at the end and be lured by the power of the crystal skull!

Mutt: "Jones...do you realize what the skull is? It's a transmitter...a radio for riding in the Chariots of the Gods!"

Jones: "Mutt...don't touch it!"

Mutt: "It's beautiful!!!" Arrrggghh! (Face melts off)

Then Indy would ride off into the sunset with Marion and on to Indy 5.

OmegaSeamaster said:
I'd rather see Shia not listen to Indy at the end and be lured by the power of the crystal skull!

Mutt: "Jones...do you realize what the skull is? It's a transmitter...a radio for riding in the Chariots of the Gods!"

Jones: "Mutt...don't touch it!"

Mutt: "It's beautiful!!!" Arrrggghh! (Face melts off)

Then Indy would ride off into the sunset with Marion and on to Indy 5.

Or we could have the simple moss covered pit with spikes at the bottom. I must say, though, I have nothing against Shia really. Dare I say, he's grown on me. As long as he doesn't dominate the movie, he's okay by me.

xVendetta17x

An Indiana Jones movie without Indiana Jones is nothing
He won't and die
And in the rare occasion that he does, the series will end

AHegele

Death or impostor?

Death.

I also agree with the Young Indy argument. We should be a little worried Georgy erased the doctor from the future.

OmegaSeamaster

herr gruber said:
I must say, though, I have nothing against Shia really. Dare I say, he's grown on me. As long as he doesn't dominate the movie, he's okay by me.

I agree, I'm not a Shia hater either. As long as they don't do something stupid like hand him the fedora at the end of the movie!

:hat:

Paulio

I hope Indy doesnt die and I believe he wont but this thread has got me wondering about it.

Earlier threads have suggested that there will be some sort of ceremony in the movie, probably indy and marion getting married. What if this was actually a funeral?

Other things that bother me:

...Harrison asked lucas to kill off Han Solo in the star wars films
...Harrison was apparently very emosional at the end of his recent interview with rivers (oscars interview) but it was cut out (apparently?).
...If Harrisons after an oscar for this action film then wouldnt he have more chance if there was an emotional death scene at the end? (Sorry about this point, I dont believe Harrison would not do this but its still at the back of my mind).

I wouldnt mind Shia taking over or harrison passing the fedora, as long as shia is excellent in Indy 4 and any Shia films work with their own merits and not on the back of Harrisons movies.

OmegaSeamaster

Relax, Indy's not going to die....flown into outer space maybe...but not die.

Seriously, Spielberg and Lucas wouldn't have Indy go out this way.

foreignerfred

the NEXT Indy?...hypothetically speaking that is.

I'm in the camp of Indy fan that is probably in the minority that thinks it would be great if the character of Indiana Jones / Henry Jones, Junior could live on just as long as one of his inspirations...James Bond. And by living on, I mean, beyond Harrison Ford's portrayal of the character.

I know, I know, that's sacrilege, but that's what people thought when Connery stopped playing Bond, and here we are after multiple Bonds, unable to think of a better, truer Bond than Daniel Craig. I think that Indiana Jones as a character has become just as ingrained in culture as James Bond (And don't say, "Bond was a literary character first, so it's okay that there are other actors portraying him. Indy was created for film!" It's not like the public at large knows Bond from the novels first and then the movies), and Indy is big enough, and great enough to survive in other actors' hands and as time goes on, other creative teams. That said, I'd like to see Harrison, Steven, and George be involved for as long as they all live! It's their creation!!!

(As a parenthetical, I would like to also add that KOTCS is presumably going to be told as Indy's "Last-ish adventure", wrapping up the series in some way (and no, I don't think death!). If they do that, you have Harrison playing all the major beats for the character, and there would never be another movie that would take place AFTER KOTCS, giving Harrison the honor of being Indy on the character's final adventure. ALSO, having KOTCS play with a very obvious "THE END" feel allows purists to ignore any other installments with other actors if they want to. You really can't beat that! Finality and Continuation all in one! And now back to my point...sigh.)

Now, I'm sure that if they EVER consider making more Indy without Harrison, it would either be the (meh) Adventures of Mutt, or (thumbs up!) more Indy-like young Indy adventures taking cues from the current trend of "reboots" and Lucas's "prequels." BUT, if they decided to just Bond it and do fill-in the blanks tales of Indy's other adventures in the 1930's and 1940's, I think I've seen someone who at least seems to look and play Indy's archetype pretty well...

I watched "The Mummy" (1999) for the first time tonight, and I saw a character actor that I'm betting was cast for his obvious resemblance to Harrison Ford. There are screen grabs in the film that scream Indiana Jones, and his mannerisms are unreal (check the gun play, body language, costume, facial expressions Dunham turns in during the scene where the Mummy enters his room and kills him. I couldn't find a screen grab from this scene online, so if anyone could muster one, I'd be grateful!). His names is Stephen Dunham, and I think seeing him in the hat, jacket, tans and browns, with whip in hand would probably make any fanboy shun the sacrilege of it all and run to the theater.

Let's face it, folks. The hat, the jacket, bag, whip, and all the other gear is just as much the character of Indiana Jones and what we love about him as the actor Harrison Ford is. I'm not saying Dunham is the only choice. Just one of COUNTLESS possible lesser known actors that could potentially turn in a great performance.

I don't care what any "true fan" swears they'll boycott, you put somebody in that iconic outfit, they'll be in line...pacing with excitement.

-Ff