would you accept Shia as the lead after KOTCS

Shia after KOTCS?

• Shia in a spin-off series of his own?

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Shia as 'the lead' in further Jones movies?

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Shia cast as Indiana Jones?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More Jones movies with Shia as 'just another' character?

Votes: 18 48.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

barranca

I hope he's in this movie and no others. The Indiana Jones character is Independant of the need of an ensemble around him. That is; he is able to be placed in situations and times with a variety of characters and isn't reliant on a band of regular players to 'support' him.
It worries me when we see things like 'Shia, the future if Indiana Jones...' Surely Indiana Jones is the future of Indiana Jones?
I personally cant accept any of the options I listed myself. I think that this may be Indy's last Outing, on screen at least.
The commitment required from all parties at this point to further movies seems unlikely, especially given how long this installment took to get off the ground.
Shia is likeable enough, but I dont think yet has the 'gravitas' needed to carry an entire franchise or to take over in any sense from an ICON like Ford.

I'm also concerned about the believeabillty of whatever swordplay there is in this movie. No doubt it'll be well executed, but it just seems a little corny and out of context, that a knife fighting biker, can then go on to fence with a trained (she carrys a sword) expert.
I'm looking forward to this movie a lot, and have faith in Spielberg, but I'm very distrustful of Lucas.
If this is indy's LAST outing then I hope nothing ruins it.
Personally I wouldn't have dared make this film, the risks involved seem huge.

Katarn07

I honestly don't see a problem with a spin-off. I love adventure movies and if Spielberg and Lucas want to do more Indy-esque films with a younger star, go for it. Just don't put Indy in the title and over reference them or anything.

I can't think of any examples like this having ever happened in Hollywood before. A supporting character in a film appearing in other movies as the star that aren't direct sequels? It's really not a bad idea actually.

Mickiana

Exactly right Katarn07. Somehow, Indiana Jones will continue, maybe not with his name, maybe not with Harrison Ford, but somehow. It would be for pity's sake that this will happen, because it will be a pity if it doesn't. Imagine if everyone back in the 30s, 40s and 50s said that Errol Flynn's or Charlton Heston's or Stewart Granger's portrayal of a swashbuckling adventurer was to be the last say in the matter? But they weren't, weren't they? They actually followed each other. Indiana Jones followed in THEIR tradition and something will follow in his tradition. You are just gonna have to let go of Harrison eventually. He won't be the last say in the matter. An Indyesque continuation will happen.

Mickiana

That last comment was mostly directed at Rayder's comments. Sorry for not making this clear in that last reply.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Without much knowledge of the character, I'm willing to say a spin-off. Mostly, coz after this film there's little to look forward to after that. Sure, you'll have the merchandise and the books but for how long? It never lasts like Star Wars does. Indy always seems to need a TV series or a movie to be popular and known to the target audience of pre-teens and up. So to that end, I think a spin off would be appropriate. It could be good. That and I'm probably biased as I'm a straight young gal. ;) Actually, I would be more inclined to have a Marion Ravenwood spin off, like Sarah Connor Chronicles but that's just me.

Insomniac

More Jones movies with Shia as 'just another' character would be fine it be like a taller more obnoxious short round!!!(y)

deckard24

I guess I'll really have to wait to see him in KOTCS, before I can make that judgement call! As of right now, Shia has shown me zero evidence he can play a tough guy! Playing the guy running for his life and scared ****less, absolutely! But taking out bad guys and throwing a convincing punch, not so much! After we see KOTCs, it'll be evident whether he can pull off such a role. He's still such a goofy kid, and not a manly man at all! Ford had that toughness to him even in his 20's, he just exuded it. Shia exudes comic relief!

Indy_Chic

Violet Indy said:
Without much knowledge of the character, I'm willing to say a spin-off. Mostly, coz after this film there's little to look forward to after that. Sure, you'll have the merchandise and the books but for how long? It never lasts like Star Wars does. Indy always seems to need a TV series or a movie to be popular and known to the target audience of pre-teens and up. So to that end, I think a spin off would be appropriate. It could be good. That and I'm probably biased as I'm a straight young gal. ;) Actually, I would be more inclined to have a Marion Ravenwood spin off, like Sarah Connor Chronicles but that's just me.

Yeah, I agree! I think a spin-off movie about Mutt would be pretty cool. (As long as he gets to wear that leather jacket and cruise around on that motorcycle.;)) But I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the audience in general reacts to the character of Mutt after the film's release. If he is well liked etc, then quite likely a spin-off will follow. And Violet, sarah navarro and myself (not to mention herr gruber! :p) are going to be first in line to see it! Lol!:D

Also a Marion Ravenwood action spin-off series is the coolest idea ever!(y)

No Ticket

I see way too many votes in favor of a Shia spin-off. Whaddaya trying to do... encourage them? Yes. They're watching. They're reading these threads. Don't be fooled! There is no market for a Shia Spin-off! Don't do it!!

Kingsley

No Ticket said:
I see way too many votes in favor of a Shia spin-off. Whaddaya trying to do... encourage them? Yes. They're watching. They're reading these threads. Don't be fooled! There is no market for a Shia Spin-off! Don't do it!!
LOL. Go Mutt!!!

The Adventures of Mutt Williams... great great great idea (great?)

Indy_Chic

Kingsley said:
LOL. Go Mutt!!!

The Adventures of Mutt Williams... great great great idea (great?)

Lol! The Adventures of Mutt Williams = Drool-tastic! :p

C'mon guys, it would be nice to see a Shia spinoff. Look how sad Shia's face is...

LaBeouf_HG011960_150x200.jpg

See? He really, really wants the Adventures of Mutt Williams to happen! ;)

WillKill4Food

Mutt Williams

and the Raiders of the Regurgitated Plot!

No, please don't let it happen. No Mutt Williams stories!
I don't think it'll happen. They would have come up with a better name than that, wouldn't they?

No Ticket

Indy_Chic said:
See? He really, really wants the Adventures of Mutt Williams to happen! ;)

I'm willing to bet he doesn't. He seems like a fan and of the sort who would not want to "upstage" Ford by taking on a spin-off series.

Katarn07

I'm sorry, I think Shia looks pretty bad ass in this photo:

cinemania150.jpg

I agree the guy's a goof ball. He'll forever be Louis Stevens as far as I'm concerned! I also agree that he probably couldn't play Indy's character, but you forget, he's not going to be playing Indy. He's a new character. Just because he may be in more movies doesn't mean he's going to try to emulate everything about the Indy character. Just the spirit and adventure of the movies should remain.

Oh, and as for my question I posed earlier about a "spin-off sequel," I am reminded of Demetrius and the Gladiators. That was a sequel to The Robe, but the main characters in Demetrius had minor roles in the Robe. This is a very similar situation I think.

UltimateManGod

Katarn07 said:
I agree the guy's a goof ball. He'll forever be Louis Stevens as far as I'm concerned!

It's because of Louis Stevens that my mom cannot stand the guy. She hasn't seen him in anything else though. I certainly don't want to see Shia take over at all. I think he'll do fine in the film, but Indy is iconic as the lead character. I vaguely remember reading that the O'Connell child was aged so that he could continue the Mummy series. I think that would work better than a Shia continuation. Obviously, the Indy films blare his name in the title, so the series is oviously associated with him. The Mummy seems like it would be able to continue with a new lead. Fraser's role is not nearly as iconic as Ford's, nor does it seem to be as strongly tied to the franchise as Indy is. That being said, Shia should do fine, but the franchise doesn't seem made to continue with another character.

Edit: Here's an article about continuing the Mummy. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117964042.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Last edited:

robweiner8

I would never accept Shia as the lead. He's not Indiana Jones and never will be. I probably wouldn't even see the movie if he was the lead

JerryKing

cinemania150.jpg

Good Lord... he looks pathetic. Reminds me of that time when I saw C. Thomas Howell trying to play a film noir detective. Or any time I saw Hayden Christensen trying to "act".