Would you love to see a new Indy film that was actually a PREQUEL to "Indy 4"??

Would you love to see a "Kingdom" prequel, instead of a sequel with Mutt??

• Total voters
Would you love to see a new Indy film that was actually a PREQUEL to "Indy 4"??

Yeah, that's right. Just as "Temple of Doom" was a prequel to "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Lucas seemed to have already expressed his interest in making a possible "fifth installment", maybe with Mutt taking over the lead role.
But, now... would you prefer seeing another movie with Mutt Williams, or a completely new adventure set a few years PRIOR "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"???

I was dreaming of something like late forties, just some years after the end of WWII. Or early fifties, perhaps. I know, maybe that would mean the need of rejuvenating Harrison with CGI and/or a big amount of make-up, but... oh, well, I think that's nothing that couldn't be done in a very convincing way. You know... Ford is 65 but he still is in a very terrific shape!!! (y)
I think a prequel could be a great way to end the franchise, actually resetting everything that was mainly considered wrong in "Kingdom". I said "mainly" because I know there are MANY people who disliked those little details such as the sci-fi oriented adventure, the "Mutt is Indy's son" ( :( ) twist, etc...

So, what do you guys think??? :confused: (y)

NOTE TO THE MODERATORS: I know that even if there will be an "Indy 5", the franchise will surely never take the direction I've just suggested. I decided to start this new thread because I wanted to know other people's positions. I didn't have the time to read "The Official Indy 5 EVERYTHING" thread (it's toooo long :( ), so I'm not sure that this idea hasn't already came out before now. My bad. And my responsibility. In that case, I apologize for having created this thread. Feel free to close it / move it / delete it / whatever... I really don't wanna cause any troubles.

The Drifter

Honestly, I did not mind Mutt at all.
I want an Indy 5, but not a prequal to IV. Also, if Mutt played the <b>minor</b> role of sidekick would be cool.

I also would want Marion back, and maybe the team looking for another biblical artifact again.
That would bookend the movies perfect for me.

Indy-Anna

I'm kinda cool with Indy 5 being a prequel or a sequel-just as long as they don't kick Indy off to the sidelines if it is a sequel.

The Stranger said:
Yeah, that's right. Just as "Temple of Doom" was a prequel to "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Lucas seemed to have already expressed his interest in making a possible "fifth installment", maybe with Mutt taking over the lead role.
But, now... would you prefer seeing another movie with Mutt Williams, or a completely new adventure set a few years PRIOR "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"???

Now a completely new adventure prior to Mutt & Marion sounds cool to me, because it's possible for a new female character to be introduced and we can get a little bit of the old Indy back.:) (Not that I didn't like the way Indy was in KOTCS, but the idea of Indy having a son and settling down...it's not Indiana Jones anymore to me.)

James

The only problem with this is that we learned a lot of details about Indy's personal life in Indy 4, so there's not really as much freedom as there was post-Raiders.

For example, do you pretend Marcus and Henry Sr. are still alive- or does Indy have to mourn them all over again? What would his relationship with the US or Russia be? Is there any emotional conflict with the college, or does Indy just go out on a routine adventure? etc.

For this reason, I'm not sure it would be all that satisfying as a final installment. And while Ford still looks great, there is still only so much room to maneuver. I mean, you couldn't exactly set the film in 1944.

I think the most interesting route would be to focus entirely on an older Indy, and send him off on one last, great quest. The Garden of Eden would be an interesting- and well-known- Biblical Macguffin, and also ideal if he and Marion are to be reunited. They provided themselves with a perfect excuse for leaving Mutt out, since they could always say he went back to finish school. They could even include him in the prologue, then set the film a few months later.

This type of bookend would probably go a long way towards redeeming KOTCS for many fans. If KOTCS was simply a fun adventure- and not the final installment- it would probably become more popular in time, much as TOD did.

Last edited:

Indy-Anna

James said:
The only problem with this is that we learned a lot of details about Indy's personal life in Indy 4, so there's not really as much freedom as there was post-Raiders.

You do have a point there, but there's bound to be some new detail about Indy's life that we don't have to much info on.:confused:

Mutt-Jones III

I say.

The Stranger said:

I was dreaming of something like late forties, just some years after the end of WWII. Or early fifties, perhaps. I know, maybe that would mean the need of rejuvenating Harrison with CGI and/or a big amount of make-up, but... oh, well, I think that's nothing that couldn't be done in a very convincing way. You know... Ford is 65 but he still is in a very terrific shape!!! (y)
I think a prequel could be a great way to end the franchise, actually resetting everything that was mainly considered wrong in "Kingdom". I said "mainly" because I know there are MANY people who disliked those little details such as the sci-fi oriented adventure, the "Mutt is Indy's son" ( :( ) twist, etc...

So, what do you guys think??? :confused: (y)

NOTE TO THE MODERATORS: I know that even if there will be an "Indy 5", the franchise will surely never take the direction I've just suggested. I decided to start this new thread because I wanted to know other people's positions. I didn't have the time to read "The Official Indy 5 EVERYTHING" thread (it's toooo long :( ), so I'm not sure that this idea hasn't already came out before now. My bad. And my responsibility. In that case, I apologize for having created this thread. Feel free to close it / move it / delete it / whatever... I really don't wanna cause any troubles.

Prequel and Sequel. Do a fan overload. :whip:

LostArk

I have nothing against Mutt but I'd like there to be 2 more movies. One being a prequel to KotCS and the other being a sequel. The prequel would cut Mutt and Marion off the new trilogy until Indy 6 and it'd have paralels with the original trilogy's order (original-prequel-sequel).

Little Indy

I say back it up to WWII. We all know Speilberg's greatness with WWII movies. The scale of the war was so big that it is impossible to know of every story or account that happened so it opens up possibilites for really anything. I think it would be awesome to see Indy in a US military unifrom. We've seen him twice in a German, let's see him in class "A"s in a giant war room briefing for an upcoming mission.

eroc

No, that's just stupid, incredibly stupid. What's the ****ing point besides making Indy 4 haters happy? A prequel would be ignorant, at this point. How are you going to back up 10-12 years when Harrison is 66? This thread is dumb. One star.

Last edited:

Flash Dixson

Indy-Anna said:
I'm kinda cool with Indy 5 being a prequel or a sequel-just as long as they don't kick Indy off to the sidelines if it is a sequel.

Now a completely new adventure prior to Mutt & Marion sounds cool to me, because it's possible for a new female character to be introduced and we can get a little bit of the old Indy back.:) (Not that I didn't like the way Indy was in KOTCS, but the idea of Indy having a son and settling down...it's not Indiana Jones anymore to me.)
the guys 66, Do you want him ot keep being a bacholar getting it on with a girl he saves in each one then dumping her a few months later like in the others, that was fine in the others, but hte guys in his 6os know, it would be a littel pathetic.

To reply to those of you who wrote about Mutt being in the sidekick role again... uhm... well, I'm 100% sure that if they'll ever shot a "non-prequel" fifth episode, Mutt will become the indiscussed protagonist while Indy will be pushed in the background to play a small cameo role. 100% SURE ABOUT IT. AND YOU KNOW IT TOO.
Yeah, I'd love Mutt to return as a sidekick again... after all he is a cool character, but... come on, let's face it. NEW FILM = MUTT AS THE PROTAGONIST.

Indy-Anna said:
Now a completely new adventure prior to Mutt & Marion sounds cool to me, because it's possible for a new female character to be introduced and we can get a little bit of the old Indy back. :) (Not that I didn't like the way Indy was in KOTCS, but the idea of Indy having a son and settling down...it's not Indiana Jones anymore to me.)

That's why I said it!!! Imagine all of the positive aspects of a prequel!!! They could somehow erase the Indy's son subplot (ok guys, now, it's completely unuseful to lie about it... I KNOW THAT ALMOST 100% OF YOU DISLIKED MUTT AS INDY'S SON. I know it because I've followed the discussions on this message board since 2004. And even if I wasn't an active member at that time, I've read thousands of comments like "Indy can't have a son, the idea sucks", etc... I know the great majority was hoping for Indy not to have any son... I know it, YOU KNOW IT.)
They could finally give a solid background to Mac (which is probably the most interesting character in "Kingdom", even if his role is ridiculousely small), they could finally return to the classic adventure movie formula (the thing that completely lacked in "Kingdom", and what a shame!!!).
They could introduce new characters, maybe even reprise some of the great characters from the past... let's say... Sallah, Shortie, Willie, whatever.

James said:
For example, do you pretend Marcus and Henry Sr. are still alive- or does Indy have to mourn them all over again? What would his relationship with the US or Russia be? Is there any emotional conflict with the college, or does Indy just go out on a routine adventure? etc.

For this reason, I'm not sure it would be all that satisfying as a final installment. And while Ford still looks great, there is still only so much room to maneuver. I mean, you couldn't exactly set the film in 1944.

First, if I recall right, in "Kingdom" there's a scene that depicts a commemorative statue of Marcus. Well, there's a plate with two dates on it... Marcus died in 1944, if my memory serves well. I was thinking of a prequel set at least in 1948. At least. Let's say, from 1948 to 1954 as a possible timeline. So no Marcus. And probably no Henry Senior.
Second, the things you mentioned could be GREAT ideas to develop a story on. GREAT ideas, that would add credibility to the character of Indiana Jones.

Now, last but not the least...

eroc said:
This thread is dumb. One star.

Do as you please, I couldn't care less. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Indy-Anna

The Stranger said:
To reply to those of you who wrote about Mutt being in the sidekick role again... uhm... well, I'm 100% sure that if they'll ever shot a "non-prequel" fifth episode, Mutt will become the indiscussed protagonist while Indy will be pushed in the background to play a small cameo role. 100% SURE ABOUT IT. AND YOU KNOW IT TOO.
Yeah, I'd love Mutt to return as a sidekick again... after all he is a cool character, but... come on, let's face it. NEW FILM = MUTT AS THE PROTAGONIST.

That's what I'm most afraid of if they do make another Indy film...:(

And once again, I'm not a Mutt-hater, I just don't think that he can carry the whole franchise on his shoulders. (After all, he was only in 1 movie.)

adventure_al

This is never going to happen but... what about if Indy 5 was a prequel to ALL the indy films...

With a completely different actor playing Indy?

Montana_Jones

Perhaps Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix could be adapted? How about a story in 1952? I'd personally enjoy seeing Sophia Hapgood on the silver screen. It's just there's a huge gap in there and it would be interesting to see what Indiana did in the interim.

No Ticket

There's a lot of dumb people out there. I can see a lot of them going "Where's Mutt? Where's Marion?" ... thinking it's a sequel.

ha.

adventure_al said:
This is never going to happen but... what about if Indy 5 was a prequel to ALL the indy films...

With a completely different actor playing Indy?

Uhm.. in that case... I'd rather not see it at all!!! LOL :D
Jokes apart, I think Harrison is indeed the biggest reason for "Indy 4" not to have been a total catastrophe.
After all... he's been the first (and will probably be the only one) Indiana Jones. Harrison is an AMAZING actor, with an enormous charisma and the perfect "face" for an action hero. Don't know... I personally couldn't imagine Indy without the charming appearance of Harrison Ford. And I guess most people couldn't either.

It's something like trying to portray John McClane without the histrionic face of Bruce Willis... or Snake Plissken without the rude, intimidating sulk of Kurt Russell... well, to me that's simply impossible!!!!

Montana_Jones said:
Perhaps Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix could be adapted? How about a story in 1952? I'd personally enjoy seeing Sophia Hapgood on the silver screen. It's just there's a huge gap in there and it would be interesting to see what Indiana did in the interim.

Sophia Hapgood would be an AWESOME leading lady!!! And a fantastic character to be added to the "modern" Indy universe. (When I say "modern" I mean post WWII. Secret agencies, C.I.A. and all of those kind of espionage movie things... "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" handled those aspect in a terribly banal, embarrassing way. I would hope for "Indy 5" to remediate.)

No Ticket said:
There's a lot of dumb people out there. I can see a lot of them going "Where's Mutt? Where's Marion?" ... thinking it's a sequel.

ha.

LOL!!! I can see them too!! :p

Marty McFly

I'd love to see an adaption of Fate of Atlantis. And I actually like Sean Patrick Flannery as Indy so he could play the role again. And I'd love to see Sophia. Ah, it's a nice pipe dream.