Indy V or KOTCS II?

Would you prefer INDY V or KOTCS II?

• INDY V! Harrison doesn't want to retire, and I don't want him to either!!

Votes: 64 87.7%
  • KOTCS II: More Indy, Marion, and Mutt on a family quest of some sort.

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters

Shortie

Eh, I'd want atleast Mutt to return. I doubt they do another one without Mutt since alot of the marketing for KOCS went to him. As long as Shortie's in it I'll be fine. Though if it was a prequel I want Henry sr. back! *Prepares to beat up Connery & then get pwned by him*

segask

well I guess he has to pass the hat to Mutt eventually.

So what do we think people. In KOTCS, did Shia prove himself worthy of wearing the hat? Or does he have a bit of a ways to go.

Or should Indy be buried in his coffin wearing it?

Quickening

segask said:
So what do we think people. In KOTCS, did Shia prove himself worthy of wearing the hat? Or does he have a bit of a ways to go.

I like Shia and I like Mutt. Id probably like him as a character on his own but as Indiana Jones 2? Never.

Nerdpants

Wasn't known in 2008, but we can safely say that we are getting Indy V and not KOTCS II.

Had Shia not upset Spielberg, Lucas and Ford.. we might have got KOTCS II. I don't think that's what the audience would have wanted, but not sure if the filmakers would have cared.

This is especially true if Lucas had stayed on the project. As we saw from the Prequels, he makes what he wants, not what the audience wants. That's not always a bad thing as it generates originality, but I found Lucas's ideas and vision off after the original IJ and SW trilogy. Spent too long semi retired and lost his groove.

fedoraboy

This is especially true if Lucas had stayed on the project. As we saw from the Prequels, he makes what he wants, not what the audience wants.
I think this is right, though I maintain that had Lucas not sold Lucasfilm he would have procrastinated and he and Spielberg would have never got anywhere with this. We saw how much time was wasted between 2016-2020 with JUST Spielberg attached, clearly unable to get the film to a place where he wanted to make it. Throw Lucas into the mix, add in a sprinkling of 'not really wanting/needing to do it anyway' and the only outcome is either no film at all or at best (worst) an even more delayed half hearted effort very much along the lines of Skull. We probably wouldn't have got aliens again, but that was never really the issue with Skull, it was the fact that the creatives involved (with the exception of Ford) were just going through the motions.

Fast forward to now, and we've got a writer/director who clearly adores the franchise and has seemingly poured loads of passion into the film and now George Lucas is desperate to put his name to it! Obviously let's see how it turns out, but it seems we're potentially getting pretty much the best Harrison Ford starring Indy 5 that it's possible to release in the year 2023!

mattydd

Wasn't known in 2008, but we can safely say that we are getting Indy V and not KOTCS II.

Had Shia not upset Spielberg, Lucas and Ford.. we might have got KOTCS II. I don't think that's what the audience would have wanted, but not sure if the filmakers would have cared.

This is especially true if Lucas had stayed on the project. As we saw from the Prequels, he makes what he wants, not what the audience wants. That's not always a bad thing as it generates originality, but I found Lucas's ideas and vision off after the original IJ and SW trilogy. Spent too long semi retired and lost his groove.

The fact Lucas and Spielberg saw Shia La Bouef as action hero potential is just laughable. Utterly reprehensible human being as he is now, having the dorky kid from Even Stevens as an alpha male hero is the biggest leap of imagination even in a film with nuked fridges and aliens.

That judgement alone shows that they'd lost the knack. I still think Spielberg releases brilliant films, but the man who perfected the art of a blockbuster can't do these to save his life anymore.

I have much more faith in Dial of Destiny based on the casting alone.

Randy_Flagg

The fact Lucas and Spielberg saw Shia La Bouef as action hero potential is just laughable. Utterly reprehensible human being as he is now, having the dorky kid from Even Stevens as an alpha male hero is the biggest leap of imagination even in a film with nuked fridges and aliens.
To be fair, KOTCS never attempted to portray Mutt as an alpha male hero or as the next Indy. He was portrayed as an awkward young man who tries to look tough at times, but often fails. Indy's a professor who loves archaeology/history, while Mutt's a drop-out who loves his motorcycle.

I often hear fans complaining about how Mutt was lined up to take over the franchise, but nothing in the movie itself really pointed in that direction. The movie literally ended with Indy taking his hat back from Mutt. I guess if the character had turned out to be very popular, they might have done more with him, possibly his own series, but it wouldn't have been the same kind of movies as the Indy movies.

Face_Melt

To be fair, when I watched Fleabag I didn’t automatically think of an action/adventure sidekick for Indiana Jones..

mattydd

To be fair, when I watched Fleabag I didn’t automatically think of an action/adventure sidekick for Indiana Jones..

Yeah but I can still imagine her getting the better of Shia La Bouef in a fight.

That and she can actually act unlike La Bouef.

emtiem

Yeah I think he's perfectly fine. I always say that while he's not a scene-stealer on Connery's level, he's never actually annoying (YMMV of course), which a character like that has a lot of potential to be. And as fedoraboy says, he's having to deal with an underdeveloped character with extremely vague motivations.
from the scene after the waterfalls:
Mutt: (excitedly)We got to go through that waterfall!
Indy: The skull has to be returned.
I'll do it. Nobody else has to come.

Mutt: Who cares?

What does Mutt want here exactly?

mattydd

I don't think Ford can do much with David Koepp's risible script but at least he does a good job with poor material. La Bouef is completely without any on screen presence, which is damning as he basically gets second billing to Ford in the film.