The future of Indiana Jones

Gear

monkey said:
Did the franchise shoot its 'wad' with Indy IV?

LOL! Love the phrasing. Great to see you back monkey.

First of all I don't want to see them make an Indy 5, as of right now at least.

I already posted my thought of KotCS in its section. Basically:

-thought the begining was AWSOME

-the rest seemed ruff like a ruff draft of it's self

-had a lot of potential which, I felt, was never fully reached

Well, in response to the original question; "Is Indy done with?" I don't think so. There is a new game coming out soon and they can still write Indy adventures. But as for on the big screen, yes I think he may be done....... but who knows... the Dr. J may have one last come back... just maybe...

MolaRam2

herr gruber said:
There aint no way on Gods Earth that Spielberg and Co. are gonna pack their bags and head for China! Look at KOTCS. Localised. Minimal effort/maximum box office. I think Spielberg is not invested in the subject matter enough to head off and eat rice sandwiches for three months. In 1984, yes. But now, no.

I would love a return to filming in locales foreign but I can't see it happening.

:hat:

Since Spielberg's heart is no longer into making Indy films, it's time to pass the torch on to someone who would pour their heart and soul into an Indy film. Someone like Tarintino, Rodriguez, Del Toro, Burton, or Nolan. These are all directors that care about the artistic quality of their films and are passionate about their work.

Spielberg's direction of KOTCS was flat out lazy and offensive (offesnsive because of how little effort he put into something 'for the fans' that have given him a crapload of money over the years). There were potential moments where Spielberg could have inserted tension, but instead he just filmed those moments in a very dull manner. The Spielberg of the 80s would have never filmed the 3 waterfalls scene in a way that distances the audience from the action almost as much as possible.

Hawkeye

MolaRam2 said:
Since Spielberg's heart is no longer into making Indy films, it's time to pass the torch on to someone who would pour their heart and soul into an Indy film. Someone like Tarintino, Rodriguez, Del Toro, Burton, or Nolan. These are all directors that care about the artistic quality of their films and are passionate about their work.

Dude, I totally agree. (y) My choice for such a director would be JJ Abrams. I've seen the dedication Abrams shows while directing the latest Star Trek movie, and I think he would be great for Indy 5.

monkey

gear guardian said:
LOL! Love the phrasing. Great to see you back monkey.

First of all I don't want to see them make an Indy 5, as of right now at least.

I already posted my thought of KotCS in its section. Basically:

-thought the begining was AWSOME

-the rest seemed ruff like a ruff draft of it's self

-had a lot of potential which, I felt, was never fully reached

Well, in response to the original question; "Is Indy done with?" I don't think so. There is a new game coming out soon and they can still write Indy adventures. But as for on the big screen, yes I think he may be done....... but who knows... the Dr. J may have one last come back... just maybe...

Great to be back GG. I agree totally with your statement that the beginning was awesome, but the rest did indeed seem like a rough draft .........that was kind of rushed to the screen without enough thought and planning.

I still absolutely LOVE the refrigerator/nuclear blast scene. In fact that might just be the best cliff hanger EVER.

But after that, the movie seemed to lose steam. I couldn't believe that I was yawning in the theater..........watching Indiana Jones.........after waiting almost two decades to see ...........Indiana Jones in the theater again.

Oh well. I want to see the film many more times, but first impressions are often lasting, and often correct.

NLogan

muttjones.gif

:eek: :sick: :dead: :confused: :mad: :( :) :D

Sorry for all of you die hard purists. I think this may be the reality if we want the franchise to continue. Above are my range of emotions when thinking about it. I think in the end I can accept it and even enjoy it. I know I committed the cardinal sin putting the hat on him, sorry again.

Hawkeye

Grethe said:
SuperShadow is at it again... he's even registered a new domain for his ramblings on: http://www.indianajones5.org/

:sick: :dead: :mad:

That sick bastard. Not only is he full of ****, but his ideas for Indy 5 aren't even that good. I can only hope that someday his identity will be known, so that Lucas can sue his *** and he'll get what he deserves. Believe me, there's no feeling that can compare to having some idiot put words in your mouth. I speak from experience.

Grethe

His identity IS known: SuperShadow is one Mickey Suttle of Hickory, North Carolina.

He's a person of extremely bad repute in Star Wars fandom since the days of Phantom Menace and he at one point had had Lucas' representatives breathing down his neck to the extent that he had to publish a disclaimer on his site(s), effectively saying that Lucas and his reps refuse any ties to the man and that everything he says are figments of his imagination.

Shortie

I have a feeling we'll get one more with Indy as the star, then maybe a Mutt spin-off. We'll also probably get a cartoon series switching back from the '30s, '40s, '50s & maybe '60s.

Crack that whip

Burke said:
Indy's done. I don't like saying it, but it's over. A reboot is impossible due to the iconic nature of the character and Ford's portrayal of him, and now Indy is a husband and father in his mid-60s.

Not quite yet, actually - he's 58 in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Harrison Ford, the actor (as opposed to Harrison Ford, the restaurant manager, I know... :p ), is in his mid-60s, but Indiana Jones the character is still a bit short of 60 in the current movie (though if they wanted to, they could always jump the character's age forward more than the time since the previous movie was made - that's what they did when they had Ford play a 50-year-old Indy in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles just four years after he played a 39-year-old one in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade).

The Man

If there is to be a fifth and that's the final one, then it shouldn't be a prequel. Indy's story should end, well, when it ends.

No Ticket

I keep saying KOTCS didn't do a good job... and that we didn't need it... blah blah blah. But if there WAS an Indy 5.

I agree it should be stripped down a bit in the cast. Just Indy and Mutt maybe... with a girl that could be Mutt's love interest. It would be funny if there were girls coming on to Indy but he is married so he would resist. But in a cool way, not a corny stupid way.

What could happen? I have no idea. This is the greatest weakness to a FIFTH movie. What good ideas/Mcguffin is left? I think the option would be to have something more obscure like the Sankara Stones... which means the actual adventure itself has to be amazing like TOD's in order to pull off a weak Mcguffin.

And Indy has to be put in grave danger. No, not atomic explosion danger but something really awful like the rope bridge in TOD. It would work best in the arctic or something because no Indy adventure has been seen there yet. So it could actually take place in Russia in one part of the movie.

Perhaps ...

oh heck. I give up because none of those ideas really sound all that great.

Fountain of Youth is LAME because the Holy Grail is "kind of" the same deal. Atlantis is cool but they have a video game based on that already.

... uhhh....

What's funny is if this wasn't limited to the 1950's then I could come up with much better ideas.

Grizzlor

I would love to see the concept used in the Fate of Atlantis PC Game. It could be a real "Temple of Doom" this time. I think there is maybe a chance that they make a film with Harrison and Shia, with Shia becoming the new hero by the end of the film. However, I can guarantee you that Spielberg will not do anything past that. The franchise would become Lucas's to do with, as in Young Indy. I think if George really wants to do another, it could get done. While Harrison has slowed down his schedule a bit, Spielberg is going to be busier than ever.

vf wing

Well, judging by interviews I've seen, Harrison, Shia, and George all seem to express interest in another installment. The box office certainly seems to be there, and we've got an overwhelming amount of ancilliary stuff in the marketplace. So, i'm guessing/hoping one more film at least.

I have no guesses or wishes for a McGuffin or locales, tho. That stuff's up to GL, and if he has an idea for another one, he's hopefully got the rudiments worked out.

Even tho he's posited a bit about Indy being the sidekick, i think people are reading a bit much into that statement. I see it more like Jack Burton as the sidekick in Big Trouble in Little China, which he was, but still ended up the hero. That's what i'm hoping for, is that the next adventure doesn't try to put Indy out to pasture so soon. Rather that they just play around more with that idea, like at the end of Crystal Skull. Basically, the next movie should just in essence be Mutt "trying on the hat", with Indy still there to save the day.

It's going to be TOUGH to write an ending/resolution to the Indiana Jones character. Hopefully, they'll put it off for another 20 years. Indy is one character that definitely lends himself to aging, as Harrison is also proving as an actor. I want to see him hang in there!

Indyman4

the 5th film

Well guys, if there is a 5th, then it's being filmed right now. Or, about to be. And, back before they shot Raiders, they were planning to make 5 films. That was the original plan. Now of course anything can change, but we have to keep that in mind. If there is then yes I'm sure Mutt is a main figure. And... w/e the case is... let's all just enjoy the films and not be too critical or picky. :whip:

tastethecourage

Indyman4 said:
Well guys, if there is a 5th, then it's being filmed right now. Or, about to be. And, back before they shot Raiders, they were planning to make 5 films. That was the original plan. Now of course anything can change, but we have to keep that in mind. If there is then yes I'm sure Mutt is a main figure. And... w/e the case is... let's all just enjoy the films and not be too critical or picky. :whip:

Trust me, if it were filming right now, we'd all know about it. I like your optimism, though! :whip: