Disney buys Marvel for 4 Billion

Junior Jones

Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger promised to honor existing agreements between rival theme parks and the comic book giant...

Sweet deal. Not only does Disney rake in the money at their own parks, but they get to collect cash from Universal's Theme Parks too, in the form of licensing fees. (y)

pellman

On the bright side, now we can have a Donald/Howard team up!

And musical interludes in the next X-men animated feature with compositions by Elton John!

kongisking

Insomniac said:
WTF!!!!
GOD@NM IT!
It's worth more than that! f@ck Disney!!!!

I couldn't agree more. I first discovered this while watching E!'s The Soup (ass-kickingly funny show, BTW. Joel McHale is THE MAN!) as one of those text bars at the screen bottom, and I almost vomited right there. Disney, the studio which has lost pretty much all of the former wit and imagination and soul that was their trademark during the Golden Age and Renaissance, now in control of all the Marvel heroes? ****!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goddamnit, they'lll probably dumb them all down and kiddify them in the name of "mass appeal". And even if they do keep their greedy sausages from twisting the Marvel brand for their uses, it still just sounds wrong:

Walt Disney Pictures Presents...

IRON MAN 3

As Snoopy often says when it isn't suppertime, AAAAAAUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! Don't get me wrong; I'm fully willing to give Disney the benefit of the doubt (after all, haven't I been championing KOTCS tirelessly for about a year and a half, not making a bit of difference by the way? I've already proved myself to be more willing than most to buy even the looniest concepts!), but seeing as how WDP has become a totally commercial entity that has to stay clear of Christianity's wrath (see: the appalling increase of Christian elements in the Narnia films) and constantly churns out fare that is deliberately softened and neutered and made as clean and sugar-sweet as it can be (remember Little Mermaid? Beauty and the Beast? Hunback of Notre Dame? Those films had genuine menace and danger and horror! Now compare it to stuff like Chicken Little and Home on the Range...I know, it's sickening how far they've fallen, right?) that I am very hard-pressed to be optimistic whatsoever about this news.

If Disney slams the brakes on that badass WWII-period-film Captain America to make it less "controversial" (remember the blatant replacement of the word "Nazis "with "Germans" in SOK?), my fury will be greater than that of Severus Snape after Harry calls him, for the second time, a coward. Believe me, I will be a very unpleasant person that day.

Ugh, I'm so worried about this I can't put it in words. Crap......

DocWhiskey

This does suck indeed. I'm trying to look at the brighter side of all this. But I can't seem to find one as of now.

Kevin

Hawkeye said:
I don't like this one bit. Disney is going to make Marvel "family friendly", which to some (ie RedeemedChild) is a great thing. But I can't see Tony Stark as an alcoholic under Disney. And forget about heroes like Punisher. It'll basically be Marvel with its balls cut off.

Why is everyone so worried that Disney bought Marvel? In 1993 Disney bought Miramax. In 1994 Miramax produced a little film called Pulp Fiction, which featured graphic drug use, violence, and anal rape. I don't think you Punisher fans have anything to worry about.

Also, remember that Disney bought Marvel because Marvel has been doing very well for the last few years. They won't fix what isn't broken.

DocWhiskey

Kevin said:
Why is everyone so worried that Disney bought Marvel? In 1993 Disney bought Miramax. In 1994 Miramax produced a little film called Pulp Fiction, which featured graphic drug use, violence, and anal rape. I don't think you Punisher fans have anything to worry about.

Also, remember that Disney bought Marvel because Marvel has been doing very well for the last few years. They won't fix what isn't broken.

True, but Disney now owns the rights to 5000+ Marvel characters. And superheroes appeal more to kids then the works of Quentin Tarantino. Disney is going to want a friendly representation of these characters so they could market them to what Disney has always appealed to: Families.

Vince Vega and Jules are not going to be walkin' around the Disney parks anytime soon.

roundshort

Kevin said:

Not just any old anal rape, man on ma . . . never mind. ...

Kevin

DocWhiskey said:
Disney is going to want a friendly representation of these characters so they could market them to what Disney has always appealed to: Families.

Well, that is an assumption that you are making, which may or may not turn out to be true. But considering that the Marvel Adventures imprint already publishes kid-friendly versions of the main Marvel characters, and presuming that Disney didn't buy Marvel with the intention of turning off a major portion of their customers (adult readers), I'm betting that Disney will adopt a more laissez-faire approach. Seriously, I think the only thing that will change is where the money goes.

jamesdude

What if they decide to make animated Marvel films and use thier own characters to play the marvels.......

Walt Disney's SPIDERMOUSE
Mickey as Peter Parker/Spider Mouse
Minnie as Mary Jane
Donald as Harry Osborn
Scrooge McDuck as Norman Osborn/Green Goblin
Goofy as Jonah Jameson.

I can just imagine Spidermouse 2.......

Donald as Harry: "You killed my father! WAHHHAAHAWAHAHWHHA! (donalds trademark jibberish yell) "

Finn

Staff member
Disney buys Marvel? Big deal. (No pun.)

I mean, while the comments here range from wonders about turning to more family-oriented fun to rather outlandish (yet amusing) Mickey/Spider crossovers, you might wish to take a closer look at the Walt Disney Corp's company structure and the stuff they actually own.

As stated above, dig deep enough and you'll find that a guy like Quentin Tarantino has directed a film produced by Disney.

Since they announced that Marvel with retain its current management after the original trade, it's more than likely that it'll come just another daughter company in the Disney Entertainment conglomerate that creates entertainment ranged in tastes from toddler to pensioner.

Only folks who ought to get jilts from an announcement like this are the economists...

Meerkat

Sighh...
I think Disney should have just stuck with those animated films like Lion King and Sleeping Beauty. They are releasing a new one, but still...they should never have strayed far from that path. v.v

Cole

roundshort said:
Disney runs companies that make money, period. Unless it has the mouse on it, they do not get to preachy. Remember, Marvel has put out more than thier share of Crappy comics over the years (Powerpak? Kicker inc?) I mean don't worry Marvel will be fine, and Disney will get richer.
Bingo..........it really shouldn't have much of an affect on Marvel. I don't think some people really understand this.

Disney also owns movie studios like Buena Vista, Touchstone, and even Miramax. Yes, Disney bought Miramax in 1993..........Miramax released Quentin Tarantino movies like Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill under Disney's division.

Disney knows the worth of Marvel's own brand name.....Marvel will still act as its own entity. Only Disney gets a nice little share of the profits now.

Whoops, just read Finn's post. Looks like I pretty just repeated what he said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Finn

Staff member
Cole said:
Whoops, just read Finn's post. Looks like I pretty just repeated what he said.
It's all right, as it appears some things require repetition (sometimes ad infinitum) to really hammer in the point. And it's not like I was the first one either to make this observation. That kudos goes to Kevin.

But yeah, while name "Disney" is associated with children and family-oriented fun, the company in fact produces a wide variety of entertainment under a ton of different brands. There's no reason to suspect that Marvel wouldn't stay as its own brand name and produce its own kind of entertainment. Seeing that all-too familiar bubbly "Walt Disney" -logo on top of any superhero comic book seems like a long shot.

Le Saboteur

Finn said:
As stated above, dig deep enough and you'll find that a guy like Quentin Tarantino has directed a film produced by Disney.

Let's not forget the Hughes Brothers. Or, does nobody remember Menace II Society & Dead Presidents?

Disney owning ESPN certainly hasn't diluted it's unique brand of off-kilter humor to make it more kid friendly.

Walt Disney Pictures will never, ever release a picture based on a Marvel character. Once again, Walt Disney Pictures will never, ever release a picture based on a Marvel character. They will continue to release what is considered "family friendly," with their interchangeable stable of pre-teen stars. Around that, there's their collection of Pixar films, and the (hopeful) resurgence of their own in-house animation.

Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, and Miramax will handle all those characters not assigned a production studio. They'll have access to Disney's corporate war chest (and subsequent credit), and operate independently. Profits will be kicked up the corporate ladder, and the stock holders will see a nominal increase their portfolios.

Geesh, go away for a couple of weeks and all semblance of sanity goes out the window for a rather common occurrence in the business world. Can you say Electronic Arts?

For a list of what Disney owns, check out the list here.

Agent Crab

Just to let some of you guys know.. if it wasn't mentioned, Disney owns Miramax.

Disney won't bastardize Marvel characters. Warner Brothers hasn't ruined DC Comics. It's not like that The Joans Brothers will appear as Ironman's helpers or anything.

MarionRavenChu

Why do I see a X-Men Highschool Musical in the future...Why does Disney have to own EVERYTHING...I love Disney but there are some things that Disney should not intertwine with..Thank God the creator of Pokemon said Hell no when Disney tried to own them but I hear they are also trying to claim the rights to Sailor Moon right now to make a live action movie, man why am I already seeing Sailor Moon as Hannah Montana......

Last edited: