does anyone have any ideas??

Indy Scout 117

hello everyone!! i have a question for you guys: ok so im going back to scout camp to work this summer and im teaching the archaeology merit badge again. one of the requirements for the merit badge is to make a 'mock dig', and the scouts go and uncover fake artifacts in a digging site. now last year i did that and had Indy related artifacts: i had 3 Sankara stones (just 3 plain rocks with stripes painted on them), a holy grail (A plastic cup spary-painted to look like the Grail), and a a Philosophers stone (a gold spray painted rock). i need more ideas for artifacts, mainly so i can have more of a diversity and get rid of 2 of the Sankara stones. i'd like to have Indy related artifacts only, nothing like arrowheads or pottery or anything like that. ANYTHING Indy related, whether it be from the movies, books, etc. can you guys think of any artifacts that i could make (at a decently cheap price) that i could bury and use for my mock dig??? i would appreciate the help!! (y) thanks!!!

DocWhiskey

Peacock's Eye

Staff of Ra

Crystal Skull

Cross of Coronado

Nurhachi's Urn

With some creativity, a trip to the craft store, and some imagination these could work....

Goodeknight

Trying to think cheap here.

Personally, I like the idea of pottery and arrowheads. I did a similar mock dig when I was a teacher in South Central LA. I went to the local garden center and asked if they had any badly cracked or broken pots. They found a ton of them for me, and gave them to me for free. I had one class paint glyphs and figures on the pots, broke them even more, and then buried them for another class (and vice versa). Broken pottery is totally Indy oriented. Any dig site he's in would have pot shards.

More Indy related:
* Indy voodoo doll
* Treasure map (beginning of Raiders) -- that could lead to an adventure that wound throughout the camp
* Golden idol -- buy a cheapie at the garden shop and spray it gold. Probably won't find a clay fertility idol but you'll find something
* Take a look at the "pieces" he shows Marcus after Peru in Raiders, the ones he wants to sell to the museum to get a plane ticket
* Go hunting at the local thrift stores. You're sure to find something odd and ancient looking, maybe even Indy oriented
* Lao Che's gold coins
* Maharaja's jewelry
* Cross of Coronado
* Dagger from KOTCS
* Blowgun
* Hovitos type items, like drinking gourd, bow and arrow, etc.
* Pocket watch (maybe Belloq buried it so in a thousand years it'd be worth something)

Just a few thoughts.

Happy digging!

Well, ideally you good do reasearch on your area and the kinds of early tribes that lived there and make your own "real" artifacts. Make up a journal with a key and identify them as they discover them, let them make notes in thier own journals and then have them go home to the internet and generate some kind of report to present to the class.

That way it's not fantasy...

You could incorporate artifacts from all different eras, even give them a puzzle like one that's "out of place". Maybe it was brought by an immigrant. Finding a non-indiginous peice to make them think of ways it arrived there, so forth and so on.

Indy Scout 117

ooooooohhhh i like these ideas!!! the first time i actually did this, i made a staff of ra headpiece and something else (cant remember what it was :p ) out of clay, but i didnt realize that the clay would become moist and moldable again if you put it in the dirt after a while, plus all the rain we got that summer... :p anyway, thanks for the ideas guys!! if anyone else has more, i'd be more than happy to hear them!!! (y)

lao che & sons

Get some model magic, cut out multiple small circles, take a tooth pick or other item like a knife and carve various designs into them, paint or spraypaint metalic gold and you have lao che's ;) coins.

Then do the same but bigger, and put a jewel in the center and it's a staff of ra headpiece, attach a doyle and it's the entire pole (not necessarily to scale):)

Then get some cloth (or not) get some more model magic and make a small pot and some pot shards or take a cup and put the lid on it, put some model magic on the lid to cover it up, and paint the appropriate colors. All this can be done for about $20 i'd say, dpending on what you get and what you have:gun:

Indy Scout 117

ooooooooooooohhh!!! i came up with a GREAT idea!!! ok so the camp i work at is pretty big, and instead of doing a mock dig in one place, i can spread the artifacts out around the camp, and the scouts will have to do orienteering in order to find the artifacts!! ill make a map (reminds me soo much of the Peruvian jungle scene in Raiders :p ) and the scouts will do orienteering and digging!! it'll be like an Indiana Jones adventure!!! (y) ahhh good idea...:cool: