Indy without Indy

bob

'allo

This is not really a propostion for Indy IV, but the question is 'can the Indy series exist without Indy?'; of course this will sound absurd but could the world of Indy shift to another character such as his son or daughter; is there anything else to the Indy universe other than the character of Indiana Jones?

Once Indy retires will there be a succsessor that can hand down the fedora who can adventure through the 1950's, 60's and 70's (shudder)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Not to sound dogmatic or anything, but the limit of Indy's world is about 1850-1960. Anything further than that, and we're getting into civil rights, the sexual revolution, Vietnam, Imperialism is really on it's way out, and archaeology itself is regulated so much I don't think we can see an Indy film as having much realism (all things considered, the films do have a certain "this could happen" feel to them).

Perhaps the Indy character could make it past 1960, but not a successor-type, who doesn't have a link to the golden age of adventure, i.e. the 1930's.

bob

Hey dont shoot the messanger....

When LC was released who would have thought that Indy fight in the great war and hang out with almost every single famous historical character....

Is there any way the series could function without Henry "Indiana" Jones Jr

FordFan

How would you like to see a Terminator movie without Arnold Schwarzenegger? You wouldn't. You've already invested in that character and Arnold embodies the terminator. Harrison embodies Indiana Jones. So much so, that if anyone else played the role, I think you'd have a flop on your hands.

KyleRipman

I agree.
And if he were to pass down the fedora, so to speak, the new Jones would seem like a cheap imitation compared to Ford.

Pale Horse

Staff member
It is the character that drives this saga, not the plot or story. Probably why some of us more discrening fans (read bob, swords, Attila, others...) want to see Indy developed in unique, dark, and questionable ways. The story is merely a backdrop. Out of the three movies, Sankara was the weakest, but we also learned the most about who Indy is...

ccc123

It would be terrible without Indy, just look at "The Next Karate Kid". That movie flopped big time, gee I wonder why...

Pale Horse

Staff member
The Mask of Zorro was just on tonight here in the U.S. I really like the way they approached the legend of who Zorro is. I wonder how something like that would play out in a later Indy installment; as this one is him on his own.

CB27

I don't think that the "Indy" series can survive without Indy. However, I think it is possible for a sidekick(son or not) to be introduced most likely in a 5th movie, and then be spun off into a DIFFERENT movie series. If they drop the Indy title for the new series and give the character a good balance of Indy-like qualities and his own unique qualities, I think it could work. Nobody wants to see just another actor playing virtually the exact same character, but an entirely different character with the same Indy-type adventures has the potential to be successful in my opinion.

Pale Horse

Staff member
An interesting idea CB

and because our resident tender 00Kevin is gone, let me say

Welcome to the Raven, "ware paths kaross"

bob

FordFan said:
How would you like to see a Terminator movie without Arnold Schwarzenegger? You wouldn't. You've already invested in that character and Arnold embodies the terminator. Harrison embodies Indiana Jones. So much so, that if anyone else played the role, I think you'd have a flop on your hands.

Well just to use that as an example the terminator films are based in a universe that do not nessecerily require Arnie or any other character for that matter. As the Terminator movies provide a premise and a sci fi universe.

Now the Indy films do not ENTIRELY revolve around the character of Indy, Indys world is obviously one that is very different to reality, in my opinion at a stretch another character could work within his universe and perhaps go after the Ark while retaining some of the spirit of the series.

Venture

I agree in the area of Terminator. As a matter of fact, it had a successful cult-comic following without any mention of Schwarzenegger. But Indy's world is just that...Indy's world. It could exist independently of him personally, but not without some heavy and perpetual reference. A child, grandchild, etc., that would mention or remember Indy, displays of artifacts, so on and so forth.

And a fedora, of course.

Pale Horse

Staff member
The great thing about the terminator movies is that Arnold was able to evolve. In the first he was a manical machine.

In the second he became the hero. I haven't seen the third, but I do know he struggles between the two.

What if Indy 4 had an Indy that became like Belloq, you know "archeologist gone wild"? We still get Harrison, but in a completely different way.

Randy_Flagg

ccc123 said:
It would be terrible without Indy, just look at "The Next Karate Kid". That movie flopped big time, gee I wonder why...

Exactly. That's why Ralph Macchio should star as the next Indiana Jones!

thing73vw

I see where you are going with that. I really dont like the idea.. but i understand it. I would much rather see Indiana Jones carry on when Harrison Ford is unable to be Indy anymore. Find an actor that can play Indy. It is hard to imagine anyone else as Indy though. River Phoenix would have been perfect had he not been such a moron with the drugs.

RaideroftheArk

FordFan said:

It's funny that you mention this...there are 3 terminator movies coming out that do not involve Arnold as the Terminator.