Indy without Indy

RaideroftheArk

ResidentAlien said:
It's funny that you're responding to a post that's 5 years old.

My god I didn't even check the date...I was just reading through and got to the last post that was marked "today" and decided to pull a quote... It's early for me, my brain isn't working yet.

deckard24

Indy without Indy, I sincerely hope not!!

A spin-off series seems to definitely be a possibility, with Shia/Mutt being the obvious candidate. The big issue here already addressed is the time period. An adventure series set in the 60's-70's just wouldn't work, hence that's why the Indy films have all been in the 30's with the exception of KOTCS. The time period of KOTCS was also really only set to coincide with Ford's real age, and the passing of time of the character.

I for one would rather another film with Ford then a spin-off, but that's looking highly unlikely! For me it's either that, or end the series now! Call me crazy, but spin-offs would just seem to cheapen and tarnish the memory of this great movie series. The scarier prospect to me then spin offs are remakes!! I have no doubt that in the not too distant future we'll see some remakes of some real classics. I wouldn't put it past Hollywood to remake Raiders, Jaws, Star Wars, A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and The Excorcist, just to name a few.

RaideroftheArk

deckard24 said:
Indy without Indy, I sincerely hope not!!

A spin-off series seems to definitely be a possibility, with Shia/Mutt being the obvious candidate. The big issue here already addressed is the time period. An adventure series set in the 60's-70's just wouldn't work, hence that's why the Indy films have all been in the 30's with the exception of KOTCS. The time period of KOTCS was also really only set to coincide with Ford's real age, and the passing of time of the character.

I for one would rather another film with Ford then a spin-off, but that's looking highly unlikely! For me it's either that, or end the series now! Call me crazy, but spin-offs would just seem to cheapen and tarnish the memory of this great movie series. The scarier prospect to me then spin offs are remakes!! I have no doubt that in the not too distant future we'll see some remakes of some real classics. I wouldn't put it past Hollywood to remake Raiders, Jaws, Star Wars, A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and The Excorcist, just to name a few.

I for one believe that this is a one shot deal. I don't think Shia has the star power to pull something like this off, and if they did try, which I can't see GL or SS putting worth the time and energy to develop a spin-off based on his character, there's no way the majority of fans would buy into it.

Even if the production is given to new writers and directors, it's a pretty damn longshot to get something like that to be successful.

deckard24

RaideroftheArk said:
I for one believe that this is a one shot deal. I don't think Shia has the star power to pull something like this off, and if they did try, which I can't see GL or SS putting worth the time and energy to develop a spin-off based on his character, there's no way the majority of fans would buy into it.

Even if the production is given to new writers and directors, it's a pretty damn longshot to get something like that to be successful.
I hope you're right!

RaideroftheArk

I hope I'm right too... I just don't see weight behind spin-offs or re-casts...there doesn't seem to be a product to sell or market that will buy it. But then again I guess you can sell anything... I mean Will Smith keeps getting work so I guess anything is possible. (sorry to all you Will Smith fans out there.)

deckard24

RaideroftheArk said:
I hope I'm right too... I just don't see weight behind spin-offs or re-casts...there doesn't seem to be a product to sell or market that will buy it. But then again I guess you can sell anything... I mean Will Smith keeps getting work so I guess anything is possible. (sorry to all you Will Smith fans out there.)
The market for spin-offs is iffy, but remakes are another story! Just look at the success of all the horror remakes over the last 10 years. They either amp up the core or tone it down for the PG-13 crowd and make tons of money in the process! The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Ring, Halloween, The Grudge, The Amityville Horror, Dawn of the Dead, The Hills Have Eyes etc..

Not to mention other films they've remade that have been huge commercial successes, ie. 3:10 To Yuma, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and I am Legend.

RaideroftheArk

deckard24 said:
The market for spin-offs is iffy, but remakes are another story! Just look at the success of all the horror remakes over the last 10 years. They either amp up the core or tone it down for the PG-13 crowd and make tons of money in the process! The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Ring, Halloween, The Grudge, The Amityville Horror, Dawn of the Dead, The Hills Have Eyes etc..

Not to mention other films they've remade that have been huge commercial successes, ie. 3:10 To Yuma, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and I am Legend.

I really hope i'm not around for the day they remake Raiders of the Lost Ark...

Adamwankenobi

Pale Horse said:
The great thing about the terminator movies is that Arnold was able to evolve. In the first he was a manical machine.

In the second he became the hero. I haven't seen the third, but I do know he struggles between the two.

In my opinion, T3 sucks. It's basically a parody of T2, with a few hints of brilliance trying to shine in. :(

davejames

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing other movies that carried on the tradition of the old cliffhanger serials, with another Indy-style character who goes on all kinds of exciting adventures (kind of like what the Mummy movies attempted, but failed at).

It's just a shame that the only director who seems to be able to do this RIGHT is Spielberg.

Dust McAlan

I wouldn't watch it. I might catch it on TV some day, sit down and see what the effort all was for, but on the big screen, on DVD, no.

Indiana Jones without Indiana Jones is like James Bond without James Bond.

HebrewsThought

I will keep seeing Indy films as long as Indiana Jones is in it.

I will stop if they ever make Shia the hero.

Indy sans Indy is not Indy at all.

Mickiana

I will bet that all the people who say they wouldn't watch an Indy flick without Harrison/Indy would actually watch it.

Kingsley

RaideroftheArk said:
I really hope i'm not around for the day they remake Raiders of the Lost Ark...
Well, KOTCS is a great reason against that idea.
You can't do a remake of raiders as easily now, if you have the same character and the same actor playing in a brand new Indy movie in 2008. The 19 years counter was reset to zero! :)

misnomer

the first national treasure movie was pretty good- but yeah, the mummy movies were just loud and annoying- the thrid one looks particularly dire.

Dr Jones

To echo most of your feelings, it just can't be!

This is one few franchise films where you can't have the film without the star, and you can't change the main character! Sorry!

You can change the actor playing James Bond but can't lose the character.

Indiana Jones and the... well, no Indiana Jones in your film? No Indiana Jones movie!

*tut*

:rolleyes: