Will Henry die?

Canyon

There have been several rumours about Henry Sr appearing in Jones 4, but if he does, will he die?

Personally, I hope that they don't kill off Henry as I feel he makes for a very interesting character, but I would be very much interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

bob

I think that several points suggest the death of Henry if he is in Indy IV.

1. In Indy timeline Henry will be over 80, the story and character implications the death of Henry would have would probably be too tempting for any writer.
2. Henry as he is too old cannot possibly accompony Indy and a brief cameo would not satisfy the audience, he would have to have something to do.
Ok enough lists....

But i can see a very fluid opening to an adventure that just seems to write itself:
It is the mid 50's and Indy is retired from adventuring, his life perhaps is in a bit of a mess and once again he has lost touch with his father. He is called back to see his dying father and they have a tender heart to heart/examination of Indy's life etc finally Henry tells Indy of his last project - we shall call it 'artifact x' which has unimaginable power etc and Indy must burn his notes. But Indy finds after the death of his father that the notes have been stolen and the chase is on again....

00Kevin

Indyfan
I dunno, indy films don't usually kill of good main characters, a few times it looked like someone died but they didn't...no main good guy has died and I'm doubting that they will in indy 4, but I can't forget bob's points

philhos

They only way Henry Sr. would die would have to be at someone's hands or through some disease. Remember he drank from the Grail.

And before you all start foaming at the mouth, I'm not saying he'll live forever, but he will live longer than normal (even if that only means 100 instead of 90) just from that one sip.

Remember from Last Crusade, Indy - when talking to Donovan - mentions one of the 3 brothers "dying from extreme old age" hinting that he indeed drink from the cup of life.

Getting back to the point on topic, I think that if they were to indeed kill him, it'll be one of those end-of-the-movie all-is-well I-can-finally-rest kind of death which will make most people tear up, but will try not to be too sappy or overdone.

Just my opinion, of course.

Can't wait for the replies :)

FordFan

I personally don't think he ever lost touch with his father. I think Indy staring at the collapsed tomb symbolized Indy letting go and moving on with life. And I think that as soon as Indy and his father bonded, they rode off into the sunset and paved the road to a better relationship.

So I think that they should be tightly-knit and close, and shouldn't be re-introduced to each other again. I don't think those two losing touch sounds cool at all.

I would be terribly sad if Henry died in this movie, but I think it would make for a good story line. I especially like Bob's idea, sounds great! However, I also agree with Fordfan in that I don't think they should lose touch again. They were bonded together by the whole Grail experience, and I don't think it would be wise for the filmmakers to break that bond....any thoughts?

00Kevin

Indyfan
FordFan said:
I personally don't think he ever lost touch with his father. I think Indy staring at the collapsed tomb symbolized Indy letting go and moving on with life. And I think that as soon as Indy and his father bonded, they rode off into the sunset and paved the road to a better relationship.

So I think that they should be tightly-knit and close, and shouldn't be re-introduced to each other again. I don't think those two losing touch sounds cool at all.

well said, you've got my vote

00Kevin

Indyfan
philhos said:
They only way Henry Sr. would die would have to be at someone's hands or through some disease. Remember he drank from the Grail.

And before you all start foaming at the mouth, I'm not saying he'll live forever, but he will live longer than normal (even if that only means 100 instead of 90) just from that one sip.

Remember from Last Crusade, Indy - when talking to Donovan - mentions one of the 3 brothers "dying from extreme old age" hinting that he indeed drink from the cup of life.

Getting back to the point on topic, I think that if they were to indeed kill him, it'll be one of those end-of-the-movie all-is-well I-can-finally-rest kind of death which will make most people tear up, but will try not to be too sappy or overdone.

what Most everyone seems to think is that the seal is the barrier "...and the price of immortality"
you can live forever...ONLY IF YOU STAY WITHIN THE POINT, if you go beyond it, your immortality will not hold up and you will soon pass away

philhos

00Kevin said:
philhos said:

what Most everyone seems to think is that the seal is the barrier "...and the price of immortality"
you can live forever...ONLY IF YOU STAY WITHIN THE POINT, if you go beyond it, your immortality will not hold up and you will soon pass away

The seal barrier isn't the key to living forever, it's constantly drinking from the Grail. One drink won't keep you alive indefinitely, you need to constantly drink from the Grail, although I believe drinking from the Grail will prolong your life, it won't keep you alive forever.

LASTCRUSADER

I don't see Henry playing a large role in Indy IV. To me it would make sense for him to be killed off. I mean he certainly can't be running around with Indy as we know Indy will also be older in this movie. So I think that having Henry die in a way that will help develop the plot may be a good choice.

Rivers

There is no need to kill off Henry in indy 4, or kill off anyone for that matter. I dont think it will make the story any better. usually killing off charecters such as Henry are done purely for shock value and to obtain interest. This isnt needed for Indy 4. there is already plenty of interest and excitement about Indy 4 without having to kill anyone.
If anything, they might address the absence of Marcus Brody and that would probably be the only death dealt with in Indy 4 (except the villans of course)

Katarn07

Will Henry be killed off? No.

This isn't a drama, it's an action movie and I really see no point. I really don't think they'd go to the trouble of turning an action series like this into something that serious. The astrangement between Henry and Indy was resolved and that's the end of that chapter. I doubt Henry will be going on the adventure since as mentioned he is over 80 as far as the timeline is concerned and won't have as much screen time as LC.

However, if they wanna deal with death to add depth for 'realism' (am I the only one who thinks that word and the Indy movies don't mix?), explain the absence of Marcus. I think that'd be better since sadly he will not be returning. Just a random thought, have Henry as curator (sp?) of the museum and a wing dedicated to Marcus. That'd be cool :)