Mel Brooks' Films

qwerty

History of the world is a good movie but it is so devided to peaces that you can wacth it peace by peace, with no particular order. So I like to skip some parts. The best parts are Rome and Paris.
But the best Mel Brooks movie is Space Balls. I like that movie more than Star Wars. Sometimes it seems to me that Star Wars are parody of Space Balls.

Isn't it True...?

Young Frankenstein: Open this door or I'll kick your rotten heads in...
Blazing Saddles: Son of a ***** shot me in the ass

The rest have shining moments but like Indy, there are a lot of recycled gags...I mean uh, homages!

:dead:

Definitely 'Life Stinks'. I love that movie. It is also very moving. The last gasp of the true Brooks brilliance before he faded away into Broadway remakes.

" Goodbye, Sailor".

jamesdude

life_stinks.jpg

the only Mel Brooks movie that wasnt so good. still had its funny moments here and there though.

"...just because you make a bet, doesnt mean you have to lose all your MONEY!!!"

The Drifter

How did I miss this thread?
I'm a huge fan of Mel Brooks' films. I love and own, Blazing Saddles, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Dracula: Dead and Loving It, Spaceballs, and Silent Movie.

Remember, a toll is a toll and a roll is a roll. We don't get no rolls if we don't get no tolls!

AndyLGR

Blazing Saddles is one of my favourites, so many laugh out loud scenes in it. Young Frankenstein is a close second for me, Putting on the Ritz being a highlight and the simple - Hump? gag.

Just looking on imdb and it surprised me how few films Gene Wilder has actually been in too.

Spaceballs is another good one.

But I would say Mel Brooks was the pioneer for the spoof movie.

Montana Smith

AndyLGR said:
Spaceballs is another good one.

But I would say Mel Brooks was the pioneer for the spoof movie.

Mel was spoofing Star Wars before George spoofed it with The Phantom Menace.

Lone Starr: Did I miss something? When did we get to Disneyland?

Spaceballs is my favourite. (y)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
One of my old threads got bump and I wasn't the one to bump it? Now that's unusual. :p

Actually funny it should get bumped as just yesterday I finally found a DVD copy of Dracula: Dead and Loving It to replace the VHS I used to have. And the other day I was walking through the Rock Ridge precinct at WB Movieworld (the local Warner Bros studios and theme park). I actually found a Hedy Lamarr sign that I didn't notice before.

I Don Quixote

BLAZING SADDLES. I frekin' LOVE that movie. Four stars all the way. I laugh every time I see it. I especially love the scene where they've built the tollbooth and when the bad guys come up, one of 'em says "We're gonna need a s**tload of dimes!" Love it! And then there is The Producers with Springtime for Hitler. Jesus, I love Mel Brooks.

axelan

I always thought Mel Brooks should have done an Indiana Jones spoof similar to Spaceballs is to star wars.

The closest spoof to Indiana Jones I know of is Romancing the Stone.

Pale Horse

Staff member
axelan said:
I always thought Mel Brooks should have done an Indiana Jones spoof similar to Spaceballs is to star wars.

The closest spoof to Indiana Jones I know of is Romancing the Stone.

It's not even a spoof. It's a legit film.

axelan

I assumed he was talking about Romancing the Stone being a legit movie. I agree but it was leaning toward a spaceball type version of Indiana Jones.