Handbook: The Complete Adventurers Guide

No Ticket

Darth Vile said:
I'd rather aliens not be in it (as I do prefer the religious connotations of the other movies to possible alien connotations of this one), but if they are, I'm prepared to reserve judgment until I see for myself.

I'm trying to reserve judgement. It's juuuust soooo harrrrd. lol.

MaxPhactor23

visionz13 said:
why, you liked
1-glowing stones?
2-700 year old men and invisible walkways?
3-the power of god inside a briefcase?

I think we're closer to discovering aliens then any of the above three..so

whut u talking bout willis?

What this comes down to is real myth, folklore, and archeology. That’s the mortar that’s held together the trilogy. There is no factual basis behind ufology. Zero! Ancient astronaut theories are bogus. I’ve done my research. Plenty and I plan on plenty more! There is little to no credibility behind any claims that have been made by, for all intensive purposes, nutcases like that of Eric Von Daniken. So forgive me if I’m more inclined to base my opinion on reliable sources. You’re more then welcome to read your equivalent of the archeological Inquirer. That’s your prerogative.

Of course real myth is somewhat of an oxymoron, broken down it means the true belief in something that may or may not exist, but you get the point. The point being that the Ark and the Holy Grail are said to exist and carry magnificent abilities. That is factual. There‘s tons of documented history. Whether they actually do exist or not is entirely unknown, but the likelihood is far greater. That isn’t saying they carry those supposed supernatural powers, simply that they do exist in some way, shape, or form. Believing in historical alien interference is not more believable from a rational perspective. I’m not saying that the Ark actually shoot lightening, simply saying that the supposed Ark of the covenant isn’t altogether unbelievable, that is to say an Ark that resembled the description was worshiped and brought forth during battles, and we‘ve got evidence to support it. I’m at a loss as to why anyone would more so believe in something with far less evidence. In truth, with no proven evidence to begin with. I’m sorry, I want my Jones to have a basis in myth, folklore, and archeology…not some amazingly farfetched and improbable theory. This doesn’t strike me as archeology, it comes off more as a tabloid stupidity.

Finally, your horrible descriptions destroy almost any esteem your post would otherwise have. Firstly, an invisible walkway? Do you mean one of the challenges in Last Crusade? That was a force perspective, not invisible. The Ark a briefcase? Was that an attempt at humor?

Adamwankenobi said:
Aliens is exactly what I've been wanting to see in the film, so this has made my day. I'm hoping that the film does as rumored, and reveals that the power of the Ark, Sankara stones, and Holy Grail came from an alien species who originated the human race (who would therefore be the God that so many world religions have speculated on).

You really think that’s a good idea? No offence but I really have to say this. With all due respect, I praise the lord that you’re not a scriptwriter. You want Steven Spielberg, a predominantly Jewish man, creator of such acclaimed Jewish history films as Schindler’s List, to take the Ark of the Covenant, a prominent religious relic, worshiped by the Jewish community (not to mention other faiths), and erase all traces of a higher omnipotent power to make it basically an alien ray gun? Yah, that would go over well…:rolleyes:

I can see the picketing already.

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

MaxPhactor23 said:
You really think that’s a good idea? No offence but I really have to say this. With all due respect, I praise the lord that you’re not a scriptwriter. You want Steven Spielberg, a predominantly Jewish man, creator of such acclaimed Jewish history films as Schindler’s List, to take the Ark of the Covenant, a prominent religious relic, worshiped by the Jewish community, and erase all traces of a high power to make it basically an alien ray gun? Yah, that would go over well…:rolleyes:

No. You misunderstood my post. What I mean is that I hope KOTCS reveals that yes there is a God, and that God is actually an alien race who put us here on this planet. And all of these artifacts Jones has discovered have these powers because of the advanced technologies of this God. Something along those lines anyway. So I'm not talking about "erasing" anything, but instead giving an explanation as to what/who God is and God's TRUE intentions (pun intended).

Everyone searches for a God at some point in their lives. Either such a thing really exists, or we simply want it to exist to keep ourselves from feeling alone in the universe. I think it would be cool if KOTCS revealed that the CE3K aliens created us as an experiment, and left us here to fend for ourselves, and that they check in on us from time to time to see how our evolution is going.

Last edited:

MaxPhactor23

Adamwankenobi said:
No. You misunderstood my post. What I mean is that I hope KOTCS reveals that yes there is a God, and that God is actually an alien race who put us here on this planet. And all of these artifacts Jones has discovered have these powers because of the advanced technologies of this God. Something along those lines anyway. So I'm not talking about "erasing" anything, but instead giving an explanation as to what/who God is and God's TRUE intentions (pun intended).

No, I understood your claims just fine the first time around. You’ve very clearly misunderstood what I’ve said…somehow. How on Earth, pardon the ironic expression, is Alien technology in any way divine? It’s not! It’s technology. By explaining that that the Ark is of alien origin you’ve subsequently erased it’s divine or supernatural qualities. I’m sorry, it’s a terrible move and many will agree with me. You don't happen to be a fan of L. Ron Hubbard...do you?

misnomer

Whats everyones problem with the fridge? I think its a great idea. Were not talking about any old fridge, but a heavy **** off 1950s lead one. The scene screams resourceful, bad-ass Indy to me. As for Indy meeting Aliens, it's all in the execution. If any one of us had heard tidbits about Temple of Doom or Last Crusade before we had actually seen the movie we'd also think that they sounded crap too. "Indy takes the leap of faith and is saved by an invisible bridge" sounds WORSE on paper than "Indy climbs into a lead fridge to protect himself from the radioactive blast of a nuclear bomb." George Lucas is right- the fans are going to hate this no matter what.

spiralout

MaxPhactor23 said:
What this comes down to is real myth, folklore, and archeology. That?s the mortar that?s held together the trilogy. There is no factual basis behind ufology. Zero! Ancient astronaut theories are bogus. I?ve done my research. Plenty and I plan on plenty more! There is little to no credibility behind any claims that have been made by, for all intensive purposes, nutcases like that of Eric Von Daniken. So forgive me if I?m more inclined to base my opinion on reliable sources. You?re more then welcome to read your equivalent of the archeological Inquirer. That?s your prerogative.

Of course real myth is somewhat of an oxymoron, broken down it means the true belief in something that may or may not exist, but you get the point. The point being that the Ark and the Holy Grail are said to exist and carry magnificent abilities. That is factual. There?s tons of documented history. Whether they actually do exist or not is entirely unknown, but the likelihood is far greater. That isn?t saying they carry those supposed supernatural powers, simply that they do exist in some way, shape, or form. Believing in historical alien interference is not more believable from a rational perspective. I?m not saying that the Ark actually shoot lightening, simply saying that the supposed Ark of the covenant isn?t altogether unbelievable, that is to say an Ark that resembled the description was worshiped and brought forth during battles, and we?ve got evidence to support it. I?m at a loss as to why anyone would more so believe in something with far less evidence. In truth, with no proven evidence to begin with. I?m sorry, I want my Jones to have a basis in myth, folklore, and archeology?not some amazingly farfetched and improbable theory. This doesn?t strike me as archeology, it comes off more as a tabloid stupidity.

Finally, your horrible descriptions destroy almost any esteem your post would otherwise have. Firstly, an invisible walkway? Do you mean one of the challenges in Last Crusade? That was a force perspective, not invisible. The Ark a briefcase? Was that an attempt at humor?

You really think that?s a good idea? No offence but I really have to say this. With all due respect, I praise the lord that you?re not a scriptwriter. You want Steven Spielberg, a predominantly Jewish man, creator of such acclaimed Jewish history films as Schindler?s List, to take the Ark of the Covenant, a prominent religious relic, worshiped by the Jewish community (not to mention other faiths), and erase all traces of a higher omnipotent power to make it basically an alien ray gun? Yah, that would go over well?:rolleyes:

I can see the picketing already.

How do you explain the glowing stones? The heart ripping? The blood of Kali? Face it, Indiana Jones is heavily steeped in fiction, and so is religious lore. Historic myth is no more credible than new-age myth, in fact it's usually less credible.

GlasgowChivas

I think given what we've heard so far and seen from the Lego Akator Playset that it's more likely that the Skulls are put on the bodies in the Throneroom - or Council Of Brethren if you believe the Setlist posted a few days ago - and then come to "life"..probably just glow and then kill the russians

I don't think Indy will come face-to-face with an Alien in any other way

And I think the fridge sounds inspired - just the kind of thing Indy would do to escape at the last minute ..

indyt

Dr.Sartorius said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lukevadebattleesb16.jpg

I love this!!
I am OK as long as they do not link the ark, sankara stones and grail to ET.

Paden

From Fallout Protection: What to Know and Do About Nuclear Attack (U.S. Department of Defense, Office of Civil Defense, 1961):

"4. When improvising shelter, keep it small. Concentrate the shielding mass immediately around and above you to conserve construction time.

6. If caught in the open, try to get to some substantial structure, such as a large commercial or civic building, a tunnel, or cave. If none of these is readily available, look for a culvert, underpass, or ditch - anything that will get you below ground level - and improvise a shelter"

So obviously Indy is following the best nuclear protection procedures he can under less than optimum conditions. Granted, an atomic blast would most likely reduce the fridge (and Indy) to molten slag, but if it's a sturdy unit, maybe the worst he'd get would be a few third degree burns, an extra appendage, and a mild case of brain stem cancer.

;)

Arab Swordsman

This is just my theory but I think after the showdown with Spalco she decides to level the facility by setting off a bomb to either kill Indy and/or destory the warehouse. Indy (not knowing how to diffuse the bomb) knows he has to get the hell out of there and makes his way to the rocket sled. He gets away from ground zero of the blast but still knows he's close enough to the explosion that he needs to find shelter. He ends up in Doom Town and gets in the fridge to minimalize his exposure. I'm also thinking that Mac is taken captive by Spalco which would leave Indy to get out by himself because after the scene next to the car and the picture of the entrance to the warehouse Mac isn't in any other picture or clip released yet during that sequence.

GlasgowChivas

Arab Swordsman said:
This is just my theory but I think after the showdown with Spalco she decides to level the facility by setting off a bomb to either kill Indy and/or destory the warehouse. Indy (not knowing how to diffuse the bomb) knows he has to get the hell out of there and makes his way to the rocket sled. He gets away from ground zero of the blast but still knows he's close enough to the explosion that he needs to find shelter. He ends up in Doom Town and gets in the fridge to minimalize his exposure. I'm also thinking that Mac is taken captive by Spalco which would leave Indy to get out by himself because after the scene next to the car and the picture of the entrance to the warehouse Mac isn't in any other picture or clip released yet during that sequence.

Very interesting theory! Though if the Warehouse is then the opener it's going to be a long one!

Deadlock

Paden said:
From Fallout Protection: What to Know and Do About Nuclear Attack (U.S. Department of Defense, Office of Civil Defense, 1961):

"4. When improvising shelter, keep it small. Concentrate the shielding mass immediately around and above you to conserve construction time.

6. If caught in the open, try to get to some substantial structure, such as a large commercial or civic building, a tunnel, or cave. If none of these is readily available, look for a culvert, underpass, or ditch - anything that will get you below ground level - and improvise a shelter"

So obviously Indy is following the best nuclear protection procedures he can under less than optimum conditions. Granted, an atomic blast would most likely reduce the fridge (and Indy) to molten slag, but if it's a sturdy unit, maybe the worst he'd get would be a few third degree burns, an extra appendage, and a mild case of brain stem cancer.

;)

fallout_banner.jpg

Indy/Fallout crossover. I dig it. :p

Adamwankenobi

MaxPhactor23 said:
No, I understood your claims just fine the first time around. You?ve very clearly misunderstood what I?ve said?somehow. How on Earth, pardon the ironic expression, is Alien technology in any way divine? It?s not! It?s technology. By explaining that that the Ark is of alien origin you?ve subsequently erased it?s divine or supernatural qualities. I?m sorry, it?s a terrible move and many will agree with me. You don't happen to be a fan of L. Ron Hubbard...do you?

Didn't they tell you? I'm Tom Cruise in disguise! ;)

Zorg

Arab Swordsman said:

Sounds good to me. Remembering this is a movie, not a scientific study about radiation effects, in the context of the movie and the particular scene hiding in a fridge could make perfect sense. If you think about what kind of things we take for granted in movies all the time (like a car exploding when shot at or people flying several metres from the force of a bullet), it's not that stupid. At all. There's also the comic relief thing.

My point being, we really shouldn't get all worked up over the fridge. Or the aliens, for that matter. There's so much in the movie that will matter way more in the end.

Darth Vile

Whether you prefer the allusion to the divine, supernatural or alien is wholly subjective. My preference, given my academic archaeological/ancient history background, is with the more ancient mythologies. That said, I?m quite happy to see Indiana Jones cross over into ?X-Files? territory (assuming it?s done well and it doesn?t invalidate what went on in the other movies).

Ultimately, Atlantis, Eden and whatever else Indiana Jones could encounter in a 4th movie is just as far removed (if not more so) from scientific fact as spaceships and little green men.

Hedwig

I'm not worried about the fridge and the alien things... They'll (hopefully) handle them in a way that the movie won't be bad...

metalinvader

Arab Swordsman said:
or you could just go out and buy the book too.

Which,I just did an hour ago.I have yet to read it but just thumbing through it,It does looks like a pretty fun book.