Fury

roundshort

WOW! So glad we went this weekend and saw it one of those super XD theaters!

Movie rocked - period. there was tension until the last frame. I had my doubts which were all unfounded. Even Shia was great. I thought Michael Pena (Gordo) stole the movie. If you are like me and only see 2 or 3 movies a year in a theater this has to be one of them.

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
Movie rocked - period.

Agreed. Even the wife liked it. This is going to be required viewing for the kids in the Brody household for a long time. Great suck-it-up-and-deal life lesson movie. There's too much softness in this day and age. This is a wake-up.

It's an enlisted guys movie -- which are always the best. Compare Fury to Patton. After Scott's famous opening speech (pimped out general on stage), Patton opens with a bunch of officers in a couple of jeeps complaining about Arab scavengers and loss of equipment -- oh, and by the way a bunch of guys died as well. Soldiers in Patton are depicted as bums that need to whipped into Shape. Fury, on the other hand, shows the enlisted guys as bums bordering on barbaric -- barbaric bums that are getting it done, relentlessly taking down the Germans.

roundshort said:
[T]here was tension until the last frame.

Agreed but the meal scene in the middle of the movie is a masterpiece.

roundshort said:
Even Shia was great.

. . . & creepy at times. His 'are you saved' scene was priceless. Reality of military life.

roundshort said:
I thought Michael Pena (Gordo) stole the movie.

Won't disagree with you but Pitt's performance was a force.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I have to stop reading now. You two have pimped it up too much. I hope I can view and report on it while it's still relevant.

Lance Quazar

Indy's brother said:
To be honest, I don't know what you are talking about. I thought Basterds was perfect, Pitt was in it, but he wasn't meant to be the star, it's not really his story but the story of the Basterds intertwined with Shosanna's. If you want more Pitt, that's fine, but I wouldn't say that Tarantino short-changed audiences with that film at all.

If you feel cheated by "Inglourious Basterds", then you clearly don't understand how Quentin Tarantino movies work at all.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
There's too much softness in this day and age. This is a wake-up.

This is too true. And remember these boys went home after - they had jobs, had kids, built America. Yes they had PTSD, they suffered. They were haunted by their actions - BUT life had to go on and it did.

It's an enlisted guys movie -- which are always the best. Fury, on the other hand, shows the enlisted guys as bums bordering on barbaric -- barbaric bums that are getting it done, relentlessly taking down the Germans.

The meetings in the middle of the tanks - the permission to go take R&R just to get pulled back into duty minutes later.....

Agreed but the meal scene in the middle of the movie is a masterpiece.

this alone deserves Oscars for at 3 or 4 things.

. . . & creepy at times. His 'are you saved' scene was priceless. Reality of military life.

the only thing it was missing was a Native American that everyone called Chief

Won't disagree with you but Pitt's performance was a force.

I am not sure I will see this movie again. I don't want to ruin a perfect memory. Like having a perfect wine - don't revisit it let the memory live

HenryJunior

roundshort said:
I am not sure I will see this movie again. I don't want to ruin a perfect memory. Like having a perfect wine - don't revisit it let the memory live

So yeah, I saw it twice this weekend. Not nearly the the sweaty anxious mess I was the first time, but the opening scene was a bit stronger the second time since I was more familiar with the characters.

The reason I especially advocate seeing this movie in the theater is the sound. Unless you have an exceptional home sound system, it just won't be the same on a rental. :p

And yes the apartment scene is where this movie truly won me over, it's impressive when a war movie holds it's own with just characters and no action. That's very rare these days in mainstream action movies.

Last edited: