Don't you just love old horror movies...

lucy

Hell yes I do!
Im an absolute Hammer horror film freak!
I just love the rubber bats and fake blood and christopher lee and peter cushing fighting it out. fantastic

MarxBrosFan

lucy said:
Hell yes I do!
Im an absolute Hammer horror film freak!
I just love the rubber bats and fake blood and christopher lee and peter cushing fighting it out. fantastic

That was the best Dracula death scene. That was a REAL fight to the death. The music in those movies is really intense too.

Michael24

MarxBrosFan said:
I knew they based Luther on an old horror film character but I never knew which one. Thanks.

The story of Rondo Hatton is really a sad one. From the medical condition that disfigured him (it wasn't his exposure to mustard gas, as has always been reported) to the way Universal exploited him to frighten audiences, it's really sad.

Montana Smith

I love old horror movies.

One word: atmosphere.

Here are some I have on DVD:

White Zombie (1932)

225px-Poster_-_White_Zombie_01_Crisco_restoration.jpg

The Ape (1940)

220px-Theape.jpg

The Ape Man (1943)

220px-The-Ape-Man-Poster.jpg

Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man (1943)

220px-Frankenstein_Meets_the_Wolf_Man_movie_poster.jpg

Bride of the Monster (1955)

220px-Bride_of_the_Monster_(1956_movie_poster).jpg

The Bat (1959)

220px-Thebat_2poster.jpg

The Killer Shrews (1959)

123749-killer_shrews_large.jpg

Atom Age Vampire (1960)

220px-Atom-age-vampire-poster.jpg

White Zombie has some genuinely creepy moments.

Bride of the Monster - Ed Wood Jr. at his finest! A swamp, an octopus and Lugosi as a mad scientist.

The Bat - a menacing Vincent Price.

The Killer Shrews - now this one used to play every day on The Horror Channel, but I didn't pay much attention to it. I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. An isolated island, a hurricane, an insecure adobe-walled house and over two hundred starving giant killer shrews on the loose. A real forerunner to James Herbert's Rats trilogy.

Atom Age Vampire - halfway through this one now. It's an Italian film with excellent English dubbing on the version I have.

AndyLGR

The old horror movies do have an atmosphere that is unrivalled I think in any modern day horror. However personally I prefer the old haunted house movies as opposed to the out and out horror movies. In fact I like how this horror movie atmosphere leaked in to movies like Cat and the Canary or The Old Dark House or the Secret of the Blue Room and even a couple of the Basil Rathbone Shrlocks Holmes films to name a few.

I had high hopes for The Bat, but I didn't think it had the atmosphere of the older b&w movies. The colour of the film seemed too light and it may sound strange but thats what made it lose its atmosphere for me.

I dunno if anyone shares my opinion, but the 70's 80's horror movies were just amazing. The original scream series, friday the 13th, nightmare on elm street, they were just so ridicoulously funny! :D

Regards

LJ

Montana Smith

AndyLGR said:
The old horror movies do have an atmosphere that is unrivalled I think in any modern day horror. However personally I prefer the old haunted house movies as opposed to the out and out horror movies. In fact I like how this horror movie atmosphere leaked in to movies like Cat and the Canary or The Old Dark House or the Secret of the Blue Room and even a couple of the Basil Rathbone Shrlocks Holmes films to name a few.

I had high hopes for The Bat, but I didn't think it had the atmosphere of the older b&w movies. The colour of the film seemed too light and it may sound strange but thats what made it lose its atmosphere for me.

Colour does play a big part.

I've just been watching The Terror (1963) with Boris Karloff and Jack Nicholson. Five directors are listed on IMDB, including Roger Corman, Francis Ford Coppola and Nicholson himself.

It's a haunted castle type of story, and it's in colour. But a funny washed out colour. It would have perhaps been better in black and white. Not only that, but it's a sloppy film historically.

It's 1806, since the painting of Ilsa was dated 1786, "twenty years ago". Yet her tomb bears the inscription '1782'. Then there's Nicholson's revolver, and the duelling revolver with a loaded cartridge!

On top of that the rocky beach reminded me of the one where Charlton Heston found the Statue of Liberty in Planet of the Apes. And the Germanic "forest" was nowhere to be seen.

I just made a search for earlier versions of The Bat, and saw this page, which has a photo of Conrad Veidt in The Man Who Laughs (1928).

manwholaughs-726961.jpg

Looks like there's a cheap and highly recommended copy of this early Joker movie on Ebay...

Luisiana Jones said:
I dunno if anyone shares my opinion, but the 70's 80's horror movies were just amazing. The original scream series, friday the 13th, nightmare on elm street, they were just so ridicoulously funny!

I like the horror movies of the '70s and '80s, too, but they're a different kettle of fish.

In some of them the gore became so excessive that it lost its effect.

The Scream series was very good.

Funnily enough, the last movie that seriously made me jump - as in an electric shock to the heart - was the modern made-for-video Boogeyman 3.

When the girl is backing away from the open cupboard and grabbed by the Boogeyman from under the bed. I was suckered by the bait that the Boogeyman was in the cupboard in front of her!

Montana Smith

Snakes said:
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2023096601/
from The Brute Man

Even better if you've seen The Rocketeer.

The unfortunate Rondo Hatton died before The Brute Man was released.

I first knew about him from the film In Old Chicago (1937), in which he played a bodyguard called...Rondo:

42.JPG

But back to old horror movies.

Over the weekend I picked up a couple of box sets of classic/vintage horror movies, among them several films that I've always wanted to see in their entirety.

At the top of the list was Carnival of Souls (1962), which I've now watched.

Thought this was an incredible movie, so simple yet so effective. Picture quality was excellent as well.

The Saltair pavilion was a brooding centrepiece hanging over the film. Best seen in black and white for, but I checked for colourized versions.

There's a colour trailer:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-G4iHLau00c?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And also this colourized music video:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JYQ-ARK_Vp0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was a double bill with the Christopher Lee City of the Dead (aka Horror Hotel) (1960) which is a highly regarded film. It has atmosphere, but I think they went a little bit overboard with the dry ice!

Other films in the collections include these:

House on Haunted Hill (1958)
Last Man on Earth (1964)

Plus some '50s B movies:

Blood is My Heritage (aka Blood of Dracula) (1957)
Earth vs. The Spider (1958)
How To Make A Monster (1958)
The Brain Eaters (1958)
War of the Colossal Beast (1958)

Looking forward to the Vincent Price Last Man on Earth, the first film adaptation of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend.

AndyLGR

Rondo Hatton scared the sh*t out of me as the Oxton Creeper when I first saw Sherlock Holmes and the Pearl of Death as a kid.