Iron Man 3

I.M.J.

Vance said:
Was that... the Hulkbuster Armor? Looks like they're having fun with the suits this time out.

There's debate over this in Iron Fan circles - basically it doesn't have the same design queues as the classic Hulkbuster other than being large. Some people are just referring to it as a "brute armor". I'm really curious to see if there's any in-movie reference to it's design in regards to being a contingency against the Hulk though. (y)

Vance

I.M.J. said:
There's debate over this in Iron Fan circles - basically it doesn't have the same design queues as the classic Hulkbuster other than being large. Some people are just referring to it as a "brute armor". I'm really curious to see if there's any in-movie reference to it's design in regards to being a contingency against the Hulk though. (y)

It goes by too quick and too cropped for me to be sure, but it looks like the "Super Heroes" SD toy version of the armor. Either way, looks like both Hammer and Stark have been busy.

Sea Monarch

Overall impression of Iron Man 3

Well, I took the opportunity to see IM3 last night! At 9:00 pm! At my local theater, if you wanted to see a movie that opens Friday, the earliest you could catch it was Thur. night/(technically) 12:01 am Fri morning. But in recent months if a movie opens Fri, they have first showings of it the night before as early as 9 pm, so I got a jump on it!
I don't know if that's becoming the trend, or if only select chains can get away with it, but it felt nice to catch an earliest premier, and still have lots of time to hang out with friends after words, not dreading the next morning.

After some cool trailers (Thor, Star Trek, Wolverine), and otherwise, the anticipation was met. These days I don't set expectations in the stratosphere, I figure I should let the chips fall where they may, and see what Gold is left in the pan, after sifting through the sand.

Did I like it? Yes! Was it entertaining? Certainly, but not after it took some time to get some traction. Like 2/5, to half way through it.
Do I think others will enjoy it, oh Yeah, most likely! But if you're like me, you may watch it wondering about a third of the way into it, where the breezy spirit of the first two is hiding, and if the villain is going to prove to be formidable, or more importantly memorable at all. Hang in there, once it finds it's stride it's a lot of fun.

To preface, here's my take on the predecessors. I went to the premiere of the first Iron Man, hoping for an entertaining action flick based one of the super heroes I cared about most outside of the usual heavies, such as Batman, Spider Man, etc. But I knew they could screw it up, like they kinda do with other second-tier sup movies such as Daredevil, and such.
We know how that played out! Fear's were allayed and Iron Man was fun, captivating, wide-eyed wonder!(y)
Iron Man 2, like most sequels doesn't quite have the freshness or magic of the first one. But it comes rather close, and is perhaps underrated by many. Although flawed (not enough threat from the main villain, least till the end), it has great fun with the dynamics between character's old and new. And handles the burden of giving known characters greater depth, and lynch pinning the on the horizon, impending Avengers movie with relative ease. I just love the wry, self aware humor this movie delivers. And the humbling/self-deprecating Tony inflicts/endures!:cool:

*Warning Potential Spoiler Alert! Not that the beginning wasn't enjoyable to see characters we've grown to know and love having moving towards another adventure, and it definitely trumps Iron Man 2 in action dept. early enough. But the comedic zing, and spryness present in the first 2 movies feels vacated for awhile.
But my biggest complaint in the first half was that the proposed villain Mandarin (played by the great Sir Ben Kingsley, no less), early on, felt both generic and rather dull. And as the threat level, and the number of assailants going after Tony, grew, I was feeling like Mandarin's minions were only a slight variation on the countless generic vampire/zombies we've been seeing in movies like the "Fright Night" remake, Land of the Lost of the Dead, etc.
And what is with the Mandarin's voice?!?! Not an expert on his origins, by any stretch, but I'm pretty sure he's not supposed to sound like a cross between Dabney Coleman, Walter Cronkite, and a drunk Native American! Hang in there faithful watchers, all in good time.

The enjoyable moments will be quite obvious, and by credits roll (stay through the credits, well duh), I suspect you'll have gotten your money's worth! And quite possibly your mind's blown!
I want to reveal as little as possible, but I have to say, I about lost it, when after certain characters became more familiarized, I compared a certain villain , to a certain rocker(who will remain nameless), only to hear Tony Stark deprecatingly make the same observation. My friend's laughed because, I told them twice, before Stark said the same thing.:D :whip:

BTW, if 3D doesn't look fuzzy to you, or make you sick, by all means, see it in 3D! It has some of this mediums greatest uses! In particular, one involving airline passengers!(y)

I personally still love the first Iron Man best (besides, Jeff Bridges is the coolest ever).:cool: But this one shapes up (IMHO) to be at least as good and possibly better than IM2, which I also enjoy. And it succeeds in doing what any 3rd chapter should do, and that's be EPIC!! And depending on which camp you fall in, you may find you like it best of all!

Now there's only one thing left to do. Go see it again, on a bigger screen this time!;)

MinnesotaJones

Yeah...Iron Man 3...huh...erm...6/10, something happens and it seems like it was just done for comedy and added nothing else to the film and kinda ruined the whole thing for me....however the first two acts are pretty good...

Sea Monarch

Huh. So if I'm understanding you correctly, you liked the first half or so, better, and didn't like the third act? Interesting. Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike the beginning. It maintained my interest, and I was curious to see how the plot was going to unfold. I especially liked how there was a good deal more action spread out through this movie, then there had been in IM2.
But for about the first half (for me), it felt like it didn't quite have the buoyancy of the previous outings. And looking back, I am now able to suddenly remember why.
WARNING: SPOILER ALERT It took awhile to have some effervescence because, A) Happy Hogan gets taken out of the equation rather early.
B) Instead of the denial dancing that Pepper Potts and Tony Stark did around their feelings for each other in the first two films, which they masked with witty banter aimed towards each other, and instead of their (still) frisky flirting in Avenger's, we get Pepper Potts being a lot more upset with Tony, (and a lot earlier) than usual.
C) The Mandarin is barely seen, and when he is, he looks like a typical terrorist, with a slow, odd, dull persona.
D) We see Guy Pearce, whom we suspect may be up to no good, and also may be in League with the Big M. I suspect this because it feels like they ripped a page outta the old Jim Carrey/Edward Nigma/Riddler playbook. Only Pearce is less creepy, and manic. But also not very intimidating, or memorable (in the beginning).
E)And now Rhodes and Tony, are bonding more, and closer buds than ever before. I actually like this change, and it seems a natural arc for their time tested friendship. But it contributes to the main reason this movie didn't feel quite as entertaining for awhile.

And that reason is: Tony has hardly anyone to banter wits with for the earlier portion of the movie. Add to this, a girlfriend that wants to leave, and loved ones put in harm's way in the first act, and you have a heavier movie. Albeit, A bit more epic in scope. But some of my favorite moments in previous Iron Man flicks, is Tony's reckless devil may care behavior, and his friends having to endure, or try keeping him in line.
I did like seeing Stark forced to mature a little, and take these threats more seriously. But the scenes with the young boy that Iron Man befriends helped bring out the funny/snarky Tony that I was starting to miss.

Then the action kept getting better, story threw some great curveballs, and surprises, and the movie continued to become more fun, even while simultaneously growing more climactic. IMHO, not the best, but not a bad way to spend an evening.
Almost forgot to mention, I enjoyed how they acknowledged the events from The Avenger's, and it's effects on Stark.

Curious to hear what others think of this film as well.

So Minnesota Jones, what is your favorite movie in the Iron Man cannon? Anything that makes it stand out?

Hated the Mandarin twist...I mean, I guess it was a surprise in a movie genre that is pretty much devoid of them these days, but not a welcome one. Remember the outcry fans had over making Joker shoot Batman's parents in 89 for story simplicity? Funny, is it that they can get away with this because about 80% of the audience doesn't know who Mandarin, Iron Man's chief nemesis, is anyway? Funny, and kinda sad. Nice oriental dragon tats, douchebag. Coupled with saying "I am the Mandarin" does not make you the Mandarin. Even if we wanna call it a decent twist on the Mandarin, I feel we already got enough of real world terrorism plot parallels/shenanigans with the much more thoughtful Nolan Batman movies...jeez, what am I saying?! Positives to the Nolan Batman!?

kid sidekicks, the stupid Stark-loving news van guy, and giving extra business/one-liners to every background henchmen: That's why they didn't over-do Stark's quirkiness, because they were too bust spreading it around to every single annoyance in the movie

enjoy those extra iron man armors for the 2 minutes theyre onscreen...you saw it all in the trailer.

and Pepper is too b****y to be likeable.

the after credits scene:
the real joke behind having Bruce Banner play therapist to Tony is that it seemed to take the audience a delayed 20 seconds to realize/remember that this guy is supposed to be Bruce Banner...might have helped to have a successful Hulk movie starring this guy? Oh, right...we gave up on the character in that sense. We only need him in the Avengers cuz he's one that Mom might recognize off the bat. Also, Mark Ruffalo isn't aging well, so that doesn't help either.

(n) (n)

kongisking

featofstrength said:
Hated the Mandarin twist...I mean, I guess it was a surprise in a movie genre that is pretty much devoid of them these days, but not a welcome one. Remember the outcry fans had over making Joker shoot Batman's parents in 89 for story simplicity? Funny, is it that they can get away with this because about 80% of the audience doesn't know who Mandarin, Iron Man's chief nemesis, is anyway? Funny, and kinda sad. Nice oriental dragon tats, douchebag. Coupled with saying "I am the Mandarin" does not make you the Mandarin. Even if we wanna call it a decent twist on the Mandarin, I feel we already got enough of real world terrorism plot parallels/shenanigans with the much more thoughtful Nolan Batman movies...jeez, what am I saying?! Positives to the Nolan Batman!?

kid sidekicks, the stupid Stark-loving news van guy, and giving extra business/one-liners to every background henchmen: That's why they didn't over-do Stark's quirkiness, because they were too bust spreading it around to every single annoyance in the movie

enjoy those extra iron man armors for the 2 minutes theyre onscreen...you saw it all in the trailer.

and Pepper is too b****y to be likeable.

the after credits scene:
the real joke behind having Bruce Banner play therapist to Tony is that it seemed to take the audience a delayed 20 seconds to realize/remember that this guy is supposed to be Bruce Banner...might have helped to have a successful Hulk movie starring this guy? Oh, right...we gave up on the character in that sense. We only need him in the Avengers cuz he's one that Mom might recognize off the bat. Also, Mark Ruffalo isn't aging well, so that doesn't help either.

(n) (n)

I smells a guy who simply doesn't go for the Marvel style of humor. Perhaps you should just avoid these films, instead of bashing them based on your difference in taste? Personal example: I deliberately avoid Anime works, because I fundamentally don't care for them, and thus feel it would be unfair to watch them with my biased mindset.

kongisking said:
I smells a guy who simply doesn't go for the Marvel style of humor. Perhaps you should just avoid these films, instead of bashing them based on your difference in taste? Personal example: I deliberately avoid Anime works, because I fundamentally don't care for them, and thus feel it would be unfair to watch them with my biased mindset.

Close-minded much? I generally dont like Japanime as a whole, but I still give one or two a shot now and again when someone wants to make a case. And there are a handful of them that I do enjoy as a result. I gave a movie a chance, based on being fairly interested, even excited, by the trailers I saw. After seeing it, I didnt like it. I'm not joining the butt-****ing quitters club just because the geek generation cant handle negative criticisms towards beloved subject matter.

Last edited:

kongisking

featofstrength said:
Close-minded much? I generally dont like Japanime as a whole, but I still give one or two a shot now and again when someone wants to make a case. And there are a handful of them that I do enjoy as a result. I gave a movie a chance, based on being fairly interested, even excited, by the trailers I saw. After seeing it, I didnt like it. I'm not joining the butt-****ing quitters club just because the geek generation cant handle negative criticisms towards beloved subject matter.

Well, I've been set straight. I didn't mean any offense, Feat. I guess I was annoyed at the mocking, "I'm-so-above-this-movie" tone you took. It's okay, I do it too sometimes.

HenryJunior

Very entertaining. I thought the middle was cool, seing Stark act as a kind of underground, lo-tech Iron Man. I wish his character had a bit more of an arc in this movie, it brings up issues and then just sort of brushes them off. Seeing Pepper actually do stuff was cool. I wish they hadn't done the twist with The Mandarin, I was really looking forward to Ben Kingsley. It's just a mixed bag, but I thought it was great (y)

Hmm, 7.9/10?

AndyLGR

Finally got to watch this over Xmas.

I enjoyed it, despite feeling let down by the twist with mandarin. As usual RDJ is engaging and he makes the movies so good IMO. It's better than 2 for me.

I'm no marvel nerd and I'm not generally a fan of comic book films, but I think the iron man films are (with the exception of Nolan's batman) the best of the bunch.

Le Saboteur

The majority of this post discusses potential spoilers for the third Iron Man flick, so if you haven't seen it feel free to check out now. If not, please read on.

Ben-Kingsley-as-the-Mandarin-in-Iron-Man-3.jpg

AndyLGR said:
I'm no Marvel nerd, and I'm not generally a fan of comic book films, but I think the Iron Man films are (with the exception of Nolan's Batman) the best of the bunch.

Look, another cool kid!

tumblr_mce1k8OU1v1ri9msko1_500.gif

Ben Kingsley's turn as The Mandarin was a splendid update on what could have been a problematic character. I would be curious to know how much of the character's inflections were Sir Kingsley's own doing*, but it was easily his best villain since... oh, Sexy Beast. If I am at all disappointed in the twist, it's because they threw away an absolutely compelling villain and did what they did. They had put the kind of care into The Mandarin that they had initially put into building Stark as a character/person/whatever, and that was disappointing.

* - His portrayal was definitely Oscar-material. A nomination by the Academy would have been both daring and relevant. Instead, they nominate the entire cast of American Hustle.

The cine and comix blogs were ablaze with unbridled fury about the twist, but a lot of folks surmised that Marvel was screwing with the audience. The Mandarin remarks how he had plastic surgery to look like... who? That question was never answered, and now Marvel's newest one-shot (coming on the Thor: The Dark World video) brings us face-to-face with the king once again.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iUU8OBEXhw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Will Marvel prove that they were yanking your chain this whole time? Will fans continue to be disappointed? I guess we'll find out on February 25th 2014!

AndyLGR

The reason I felt let down by the drunk actor twist was that I thought the character was being built up to be something menacing and exciting.

kongisking

However you may feel about the twist, Sir Ben Kingsley absolutely killed both pre-twist and post-twist. Had he been amazing pre-twist, and become horrible post-twist, then I'd certainly be on the side of those who hate the idea.

And I totally get what Saboteur is saying: the film was building him up to be this absolutely phenomenal villain, only to turn him into the personification of Subversion. I don't agree with the hatred for the twist as far as loyalty to the comics goes, but I agree with the hatred based on disappointment that such a great character was all a lie.

Very interested in "All Hail the King." Part of me hopes it will somehow-somehow-set up Trevor embracing the 'role' and becoming the Mandarin for real, but I know it's unlikely...

Le Saboteur

kongisking said:
...then I'd certainly be on the side of those who hate the idea.

Here's another: The real Aldrich Killian, the one from the comics, was never a villain. If memory serves, and it should, he committed suicide at some point in the storyline.

kongisking said:
And I totally get what Saboteur is saying: the film was building him up to be this absolutely phenomenal villain, only to turn him into the personification of Subversion.

For a genre that relies on the punch-up of the week subversion isn't going to get you very far. That said, I suspect that some aspect of The Mandarin will end up being preserved. It ultimately comes down to any future plans for the Iron Man series and how it fits into the overall scope of affairs now that Stark's character and motivation is firmly established. There's no reason why War Machine couldn't take over.

kongisking said:
Very interested in "All Hail the King." Part of me hopes it will somehow-somehow-set up Trevor embracing the 'role' and becoming the Mandarin for real, but I know it's unlikely...

Time will tell, but the building blocks exist in that first clip for the further adventures of Marvel's Cinematic Universe. Note the SEAGATE name stenciled on the back of Trevor's prison jumper? Fans of a certain powerful man will know that's where he acquired his powers after being convicted of a crime he didn't commit.

Speaking of building blocks, who remembers this? I had forgotten all about it.

Iron-Man-Ten-Rings.jpg

Mighty No. 13876

kongisking

Le Saboteur said:
Time will tell, but the building blocks exist in that first clip for the further adventures of Marvel's Cinematic Universe. Note the SEAGATE name stenciled on the back of Trevor's prison jumper? Fans of a certain powerful man will know that's where he acquired his powers after being convicted of a crime he didn't commit.

Speaking of building blocks, who remembers this? I had forgotten all about it.

Iron-Man-Ten-Rings.jpg

Mighty No. 13876

Well! That SEAGATE reference, which I was totally unfamiliar with, certainly gives me more hope for that possibility, then. And yeah, good eye catching the banner behind Stark in that pic...

Lance Quazar

Don't anyone get their hopes up at this Marvel One Shot is going to re-write the history of Trevor Slattery or the Mandarin.

It'll be a goofy one-off, but nothing more.

kongisking

Lance Quazar said:
Don't anyone get their hopes up at this Marvel One Shot is going to re-write the history of Trevor Slattery or the Mandarin.

Erm, source?

Le Saboteur

kongisking said:
Erm, source?

None needed. It's scuttlebutt. Marvel's in a classic damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. If Marvel leaves Trevor as is then they'll continue to be pilloried for turning a great villain into a chump. If they turn him into The Mandarin (or say he was acting the whole time), then it's Marvel admitting they made a horrible mistake and are retconning characters.*

*-Which is quite the possibility. On the comix side, Marvel has suffered from a lack of editorial leadership since...oh, Civil War. For example, Cap has turned into a giant ick-pray;Scott Summers is a murderer and walking around free; the Sub Mariner has completely destroyed Wakanda and for some odd reason (not really), the X-Men are going to team up with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

kongisking said:
That SEAGATE reference, which I was totally unfamiliar with, certainly gives me more hope for that possibility.

I don't think you're getting the reference. There's a touch of '70's exploitation films in that title card, but I don't see Marvel introducing the reference in this manner. In fact, there's no real reason for Trevor to be in SEAGATE* other than notoriety. He's not a threat to anybody.

*- Often referred to as Little Alcatraz, SEAGATE is a supermax prison on an island off the coast of Georgia. It would later add a wing to hold super villains.

Lance Quazar said:

I can see it going either way, but the direction is going to depend on Marvel's long term plans. They really, really want to go Cosmic, but if that's the ultimate goal (and the Mad Titan is indeed the ne plus ultra of villainy) then there's no real reason to have a disempowered Mandarin running around.

I don't see Marvel securing Sir Kingsley to a long term contract, but I suspect it'll set up something else a la one shot.

The Hollywood Reporter said:

Full article: [URL="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/marvels-agent-carter-hayley-atwell-671839http://"]Marvel's 'Agent Carter': Hayley Atwell, Writers, Showrunners Confirmed for ABC Drama

A live-action period piece with good ol' fashioned Nazi smashing? This place should go apespit at the prospect, but only Ford is allowed to punch Nazis.

tumblr_lucz8rnwzo1qbxlwho1_500.gif

I know who I would rather watch.

Mighty No. 13876