Band Geeks

Gear

Well, when I was nine our old music teacher started us off on the Recorder because it is the 'foundation' to learning other instruments, and that is true. Then I played the Chelo for a short while (I had to give it up) and then I played the Clarinet for a little over a year.

sarah navarro

i guess you can call me the #1 bandgeek who ever lived...ive played the clarinet for 8 years now and i was in 3 honor bands this past concert season.Im in the symphonic band,concert band and marching band(eventhough i hate marching band)for me its all about concert season i love playing.I practice everyday almost and everyone calls me a band geek but im just doing what i love.And i want to point something out "band geek" is not a look!for some stereotypes;) Anybody have questions about the clarinet or anything else feel freee to ask!:D
i can play trumpet,tuba,well forget it i play a little bit of everything!(y)

OH Yah and i want to say also that i HATE California budget cuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!they ruined my life they cut the elementary music program and now my band directors being laid off!!!!!!This will be my 4th band director in my 3 year high school career!:mad: :mad: :mad:

IndySeven

sarah navarro said:
This will be my 4th band director in my 3 year high school career!:mad: :mad: :mad:
I know what you mean. Down here in Florida there have been a lot of budget cuts. During my Freshman year last year, we went through 3 band/orchestra directors! That made our class go really crazy!:)

Viper

I'm the lead trumpet in our band. I'm not in high school yet, but I plan on joining the marching and theatre bands.

~KAT~

We played the weirdest/ most awesome song in band yesterday. It was very cool!

Here it is:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F4oDDmoWf1M

listen to it, although it is long, it is really cool, sounds like a Star Wars/ John Williams Song. (even though it was composed in 1916 or something like that)

sarah navarro

~KAT~ said:
We played the weirdest/ most awesome song in band yesterday. It was very cool!

Here it is:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F4oDDmoWf1M

listen to it, although it is long, it is really cool, sounds like a Star Wars/ John Williams Song. (even though it was composed in 1916 or something like that)
Mars bringer of war ,by Gustav Holst,one of my favorite songs and favorite composers.(y)
How did you guys do?that wasnt you on the recording was it?Anyway it always has reminded me of Star wars,i heard somewhere that John Williams took some of Gustav Holsts ideas from this and used it for Star wars.

~KAT~

I know! It's a wonderful song! It's just.... wow.

No, lol. That wasn't us... We were sightreading *shudders*

But, I think overall, we did okay. :)

sarah navarro

~KAT~ said:
I know! It's a wonderful song! It's just.... wow.

No, lol. That wasn't us... We were sightreading *shudders*

But, I think overall, we did okay. :)
I hate sight reading,sometimes you get those little unexpected clarinet solos and you feel like your doing something wrong or not supposed to be playing:p .It makes me nervous.

~KAT~

Wow, I play clarinet too! XP I love my little clarinet so much! :D

Yeah... sight reading is difficult. Especially that song. LOL.

Random, but i need a new reed. XP

sarah navarro

~KAT~ said:
Wow, I play clarinet too! XP I love my little clarinet so much! :D

Yeah... sight reading is difficult. Especially that song. LOL.

Random, but i need a new reed. XP
Sad story... my clarinet has turned into a peice o' crap these past couple of months,but my dad is buying me a new professional one!(y) (y)
I have so many reeds its ridiculous!Do you have like a routine for your reed usage,or like a breaking in cycle?So anyway i dont get to practice tonight because its in the shop until i get a new one:(

~KAT~

Awww, that sucks. :p

I take pretty good care of my reeds, and they don't even usually chip till I have had them for 2 months or so.

MI play on size 3 1/2 reeds. What about you?

sarah navarro

~KAT~ said:
Awww, that sucks. :p

I take pretty good care of my reeds, and they don't even usually chip till I have had them for 2 months or so.

MI play on size 3 1/2 reeds. What about you?
MI?i play a 3 because i prefer them less hard i could play a 2 1/2 but its too weak ,i only use 31/2 for marching band season.2 months woah!!!i can go about 2 weeks before they start getting to weak.Do you practice privately alot,or have a private teacher?

~KAT~

No... lol. Whats sad is I rarely practice. XD

I'm Thinking about going for a size 4 reed... maybe just to try it out. I have been on 3 1/2 since 7th grade, lol.

sarah navarro

~KAT~ said:
No... lol. Whats sad is I rarely practice. XD

I'm Thinking about going for a size 4 reed... maybe just to try it out. I have been on 3 1/2 since 7th grade, lol.
4 wow i wouldnt recommend that at all:p but do whatever is good for you(y)