Blade Runner 2049

IndyBuff

I went from hating the concept of this movie to being thrilled to see it next weekend. It's nice to be proven wrong sometimes.;)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.slashfilm.com/harrison-ford-punched-ryan-gosling-blade-runner-2049
Ford can still land a punch! (Larger pic)

bladerunner2049-harrisonford-ryangosling-punch-700x394.jpg

Z dweller

Wow... good find Mo !

I wouldn't want to see that expression on Indy's or Deckard's face ;) , but it sure shows that Ford was really terrified that he might have injured Gosling...

Having seen that, I'd say that the whole bottle of whisky would have been an appropriate apology, not just a glass!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
"The name's Deckard."

"Deckard... Deckard, Deckard, Deckard, Deckard, Deckard, DECKARD! ...Rick Deckard?"

Sorry if that's a little too inside. Airplane II.

Z dweller

Great interview with composers Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch about the challenges of scoring the film.

While their main aim was to come up with something completely new and appropriate to this second chapter in the story, they still went and dug out a specimen of the old CS80 synth used by Vangelis back in '82, in order to achieve some sonic consistency in key scenes.

Good stuff!

Got my tickets and can't wait for tomorrow... :cool:

IndyBuff

Z dweller said:
Great interview with composers Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch about the challenges of scoring the film.

While their main aim was to come up with something completely new and appropriate to this second chapter in the story, they still went and dug out a specimen of the old CS80 synth used by Vangelis back in '82, in order to achieve some sonic consistency in key scenes.

Good stuff!

Got my tickets and can't wait for tomorrow... :cool:

Sounds awesome. My wife and I are planning to see this weekend. We can't wait!(y)

AndyLGR

Really enjoyed it. It was one of those films (for me) where I came out of the cinema and wanted to see it again. Theres so much to take in that this definitely needs more than one viewing. Visually it looks amazing in every way and the performances are excellent throughout. I was totally spoiler free before going in and so I didn't expect the story we got and that surprised me in a good way. I can't remember the last film I went to see where it was so engrossing in concentrating on the details of everything on screen from the visuals through the dialogue and the story. Its really atmospheric and in a way its a real slow burner too, but not in a negative way though. Its running time allows it to build the story and allow those slow scenes to breathe and I think it makes it better for that.

Of the main leads the performances were really good. Jared Leto in particular is very creepy as the head of the company that took over Tyrells assetts. Ryan Gosling as the Blade Runner K carries the film easily and is very good in his conflicting emotions as the story unfolds around him, and in fact his character is doing some proper detective work in this and thats what the story is, a detective mystery thriller. Harrison Ford I thought was excellent and gives a very emotional performance in places too, not least in one particular scene where he really sells the emotion of it and overall makes an impact in this. The supporting characters are excellent too from the evil replicant Love, to K's captain and his holographic companion Joi and everyone in between.

Again much like the first one this film is about humanity and the replicants questioning their own humanity and their own soul and emotions. The plot of the story is a major spoiler and I won't reveal what it is, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like the first film it needs more than one viewing, the world it inhabites is fantastic, they really captured what made the first one so good in its lighting and sets, the performances are top notch, as is the score that captures the essence of the original too and the visuals are amazing too. Well worth seeing IMO.

Z dweller

@Andy

Yes - a very good movie, which demands multiple viewings.

I agree with everything you said, except for the score, which IMO isn't as emotionally involving as it should be.

I understand why they went for that type of score, and cannot discuss it further right now because it would involve spoilers - but it's the only artistic choice I disliked.

But overall, a great effort.

I won't draw comparisons with the original yet - I need to watch this one again, but I came out of the theater feeling great about the whole thing, and it went way, way above my most optimistic expectations.

Mods, would it be ok to start a separate thread with spoilers, for those of us who already watched it to dissect and discuss, like we did with SW7?

Forbidden Eye

Z dweller said:
Mods, would it be ok to start a separate thread with spoilers, for those of us who already watched it to dissect and discuss, like we did with SW7?

That's what these tags are for.

Forbidden Eye said:
Second coming of Tom Hanks is a bad thing? :confused:

That's all I really have to say as sadly, I've yet to see Blade Runner. Been meaning to for a while.

Man, it seems like forever since I posted this! It's amazing how much can change in 9 years. Since then I've seen 6 of the 7 versions of the original as well as the sequel to Blade Runner that now exists instead of a remake.

I just saw it, and I'll simply say I'm surprised just how great it was. After The Force Awakens disappointed me quite a bit, I was prepared for disappointment here, glad to say it was satisfying through-out. Zimmer's score was annoying at times, but other than that I have no complaints.

Thank god it neither completely confirms or denies whether Deckard is a replicant! ;)

Last edited:

IndyBuff

Just got back from seeing it and absolutely loved it. It was everything I was hoping and more, not to mention Ford was on top of his game for this one. It's a great reminder that sequels, when made for love of the story and the craft, can be a good thing.

I was extremely skeptical of this film when it was first announced but they proved me wrong and I couldn't be happier.:)

Pale Horse

Staff member
The Man said:
Only Harrison could get a robot pregnant.

Am I the only one that thought that this film is this generations transgender answer to the Pinocchio classic? You know,; :Am I a real girl?"

All Kudos to Dennis, though. A well executed film. For what that's worth. It's art, to be sure. Cinematic Art. I applaud that. As to the rest, you can get it in my spoiler, but undoubtedly it'll **** some of you off.

Z dweller

Pale Horse said:
Am I the only one that thought that this film is this generations transgender answer to the Pinocchio classic? You know,; :Am I a real girl?"

All Kudos to Dennis, though. A well executed film. For what that's worth. It's art, to be sure. Cinematic Art. I applaud that. As to the rest, you can get it in my spoiler, but undoubtedly it'll **** some of you off.
Actually, Horsie, I've seen that parallel drawn before on t'interweb. It's really hard to be original.

Which brings me to my next point: some on here had guessed the movie's main plot device many moons ago (SPOILER WARNING: don't click this link if you haven't seen the movie yet).

But it certainly did not prevent them from enjoying this sequel.
There are only so many way you can skin a cat, after all.

And when the story is wrapped in such a magnificent, immersive visual universe, does it really matter that much anyway?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Z dweller said:
Actually, Horsie, I've seen that parallel drawn before on t'interweb. It's really hard to be original.

Which brings me to my next point: some on here had guessed the movie's main plot device many moons ago (SPOILER WARNING: don't click this link if you haven't seen the movie yet).

But it certainly did not prevent them from enjoying this sequel.
There are only so many way you can skin a cat, after all.

And when the story is wrapped in such a magnificent, immersive visual universe, does it really matter that much anyway?

T'was entertained, to be sure. And you're right. There are only 36 ways to skin a cat.

Joe Brody

Two disclaimers: (1) saw it last night at the end of a draining day on the road at a soccer tournament, and (2) I'm not the best judge for this film since I'm partial to the original cinematic release version of the first Bladerunner and prefer my Deckard human. That said, on an emotional level, I liked 2049s visceral/emotional impact (which I attribute to Pale's reference to 'cinematic art') but I still came away disappointed.

Gosling's 'K' was solid, and I found his quest for meaning with Joi engaging and worth watching in of itself.

The main plot, however, not-so-much. There was nothing in 2049 to match the economy and resulting suspense in the first Bladerunner that superbly brought in to focus Roy Batty's existential dilemma over his mortality. Instead (and my recall may be off here) at one point in 2049, we get Robin Wright's character, after lecturing K on the possible earth shattering consequences of his case, wrapping up her talk by telling K to get back to her in a few days. There's an intentional slackness to the plot (I'm thinking of Luv getting her nails done in one scene) that I haven't totally figured out yet.

Speaking of Robin Wright, as I've said before I'm a big fan, and I will say her role (not performance) was the one unequivocal disappointment in the film. (As an aside, the New York Post has an interesting article about how 2049 was not that great for its female characters, which I pretty much agree with).

Ford was solid -- which is sad because we're seeing him squandered in recent roles. My beef with the Deckard character in 2049 is the now recurring device in these sequels of 70's/'80's films of the old man hermit. [Half-jokingly] Look at old guys like Gerry Brown, Noam Chomsky, Yvon Chouinard and Bernie Sanders -- these leaders don't run away and hide and drink whiskey,

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Look at old guys like Gerry Brown, Noam Chomsky, Yvon Chouinard and Bernie Sanders -- these leaders don't run away and hide and drink whiskey,

What about PBR?
CUL1dR-UcAAGjDS.png

Z dweller

Joe Brody said:
I prefer my Deckard human.
So do I, but they were smart enough not to provide a "conclusive" answer in this sequel.

Villeneuve himself said so in interviews even before the movie opened, and the story stands whether you choose to consider him human, or replicant.

Interestingly enough, the same could be argued about K's fate.
I came out of the theater sure that I knew what happened to him, due to the cue they selected for the final scene.
Vangelis' "Tears in rain", which implies he dies like Batty.

And it would tie in with the replicant leader's speech, which seemed to provide a neat answer to K's quest.
"There is nothing more human that dying for what you believe in"

But I heard younger members of the audience (who presumably were not as familiar with the original as I am) argue differently, and my cynical side suspects they might be proven right, eventually.
Apparently, further sequels are not inconceivable.

Joe Brody said:
There's an intentional slackness to the plot (I'm thinking of Luv getting her nails done in one scene) that I haven't totally figured out yet.
Watch it again, it's intentional.
Luv is full of contradictions: she sheds tears after committing unspeakable acts, while her face betrays no emotions whatsoever.
So, why not have her nails done while remotely performing her mission?

BTW, I loved Hoek's performance: she's terrifying, mysterious and sad at the same time.
Those Dutch sure make good replicants!

Z dweller

Curious as to what caused "the blackout"?

It's all explained in this short animated story, introduced by Villeneuve himself and directed by anime filmmaker Shinichiro Watanabe.

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
What about PBR?
CUL1dR-UcAAGjDS.png

Hilarious. I actually thought of Mr. Eastwood but decided to keep it liberal.

Z dweller said:
So do I, but they were smart enough not to provide a "conclusive" answer in this sequel.

[In my best Walter Sobchak]I did not know that.

Z dweller said:
Villeneuve himself said so in interviews even before the movie opened, and the story stands whether you choose to consider him human, or replicant.

See prior response. Honestly, knowing that now, I feel better. I wish I had known that going in because I would have enjoyed Ford's screen time more. I also missed the cues -- but I did pick up the symmetry with Batty.

Z dweller said:
BTW, I loved Hoek's performance: she's terrifying, mysterious and sad at the same time.
Those Dutch sure make good replicants!

Agreed. Just don't get in a submarine with one of them.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe another press junket? I'd be surprised if they skipped Tokyo.

Release dates:
USA - 6 October 2017
South Korea - 12 October 2017
China - 27 October 2017
Japan - 27 October 2017