Blade Runner

Michael24

I don't have the Blu-Ray edition, just the regular DVD version. My parents got me the "Briefcase Edition" for Christmas last year. Fantastic set, and I love the "Final Cut." (Seeing it during it's brief theatrical run last October was an experience I'll never forget.) The DVD set as a whole is one of the most impressive I've ever seen. The three-hour documentary is amazing! Still an amazing, stunning film after all these years. (y)

RaideroftheArk

Michael24 said:
I don't have the Blu-Ray edition, just the regular DVD version. My parents got me the "Briefcase Edition" for Christmas last year. Fantastic set, and I love the "Final Cut." (Seeing it during it's brief theatrical run last October was an experience I'll never forget.) The DVD set as a whole is one of the most impressive I've ever seen. The three-hour documentary is amazing! Still an amazing, stunning film after all these years. (y)

I really can't believe how much they packed into that briefcase...it's a very impressive collection!

I think they could easily bring Blade Runner back...if not in cinema than maybe as a video game franchise. I know there was one on the PC awhile back, but with the next gen. technology, I think they could make a stunning Blade Runner universe that would rival most games out there today.

Michael24

Yeah, that would be amazing. Imagine having a 2019 Los Angeles that you could free-roam in like a Grand Theft Auto game!? :whip:

Oddly enough, despite the heavy ton of the film and the fact it's not a typical sci-fi/action film (like so many early audiences expected), this was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid. Obviously, a lot of the deeper stuff went over my head, but I knew the basic idea (Harrison Ford gunning down renegade robots) and used to watch it all the time. The film has been a big influence on me ever since. :)

RaideroftheArk

That's actually pretty cool. I only watched this film for the first time about 5 or 6 years ago. (I know, amazing) Ever since I saw it I loved it. I'm in the midst of reading "Do Androids Dream of Electic Sheep?"

Michael24

I've yet to read the original novel. I bought a copy, but a friend of mine borrowed it and then moved to New Jersey before he could finish it, so I have to wait for him to mail it back or visit before I can get it back. Haha!!

I was going to recommend Paul M. Sammon's Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner book, but the three-hour documentary probably pretty much covers all the same stuff, and then some. Still, until that documentary, Future Noir was a terrific behind-the-scenes read for any fan. I believe Sammon even has a commentary on the UCE's "Workprint" version as well. :)

How many worthless topics are you going to create today.

There's already a Blade Runner topic. Search and you shall be rewarded.

And stop flooding; it's giving me a headache.

RaideroftheArk

ResidentAlien said:
How many worthless topics are you going to create today.

There's already a Blade Runner topic. Search and you shall be rewarded.

And stop flooding; it's giving me a headache.

Do you ever stop complaining?

Michael24 said:
I've yet to read the original novel. I bought a copy, but a friend of mine borrowed it and then moved to New Jersey before he could finish it, so I have to wait for him to mail it back or visit before I can get it back. Haha!!

I was going to recommend Paul M. Sammon's Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner book, but the three-hour documentary probably pretty much covers all the same stuff, and then some. Still, until that documentary, Future Noir was a terrific behind-the-scenes read for any fan. I believe Sammon even has a commentary on the UCE's "Workprint" version as well. :)

I haven't even checked out any of the special features in the box set...I need a day to do that.

Last edited:
RaideroftheArk said:
...and I suppose you are the most thought-provoking person sitting in your room posting on an Indiana Jones message board?

pot-kettle-black.jpg

RaideroftheArk

Ok what the heck is the sense of all this?

Do you have something to add about the Blade Runner Bluray Ultimate Edtion?

Do you own it?
Do you want it?
If you have it, how does it compare to the regular edition?

I see you like Blade Runner or at least I think you do...I saw you quote it in a past thread. Why not discuss it with me instead of us going back and forth over nothing?

RaideroftheArk said:
Ok what the heck is the sense of all this?

Do you have something to add about the Blade Runner Bluray Ultimate Edtion?

Do you own it?
Do you want it?
If you have it, how does it compare to the regular edition?

I see you like Blade Runner or at least I think you do...I saw you quote it in a past thread. Why not discuss it with me instead of us going back and forth over nothing?

If you would SEARCH the forum, you'd find your answers as there is ALREADY A TOPIC ON THIS.

What don't you get about that?

Nurhachi1991

Bang Bang Maxwell's silver hammer came down upon her head. Clang Clang Maxwell's silver hammer made sure that she was dead.

indyclone25

just because everyone wants to be a moderator ---didn't you know that?
sometimes they act like there isn't enough space in the computer for a thread that means somewhat like a previous thread someone put on months ago?

RaideroftheArk

I understand wanting to keep repetitive topics at bay...but wow, couldn't it be handled a little different? Also, do I all my topics have to be accused of being "pointless?" I just don't understand how people get away with such hostility on these boards?

AndyLGR

I picked up the 5 dvd boxset today. Its an impressive collection. Its been a long time since I've watched this movie, so I'm looking forward to giving it a go and also to see documentary on the making of it, it'll be interesting to see the behind the scenes aspects of it. Especially to hear the main players views on it now, as at the time it was pretty much a flop, Ridley Scott didnt seem happy with it and despite that its still regarded as a modern classic.

Cole

Last time I watched this, one thing stuck out to me: Rutger Hauer really ends up stealing the show. Despite not getting much screen time at all compared to Ford's character in the first hour and 30 minutes or so............the last 30 minutes belong to Hauer. Ford barely speaks a line in the last 30 minutes.

As far as Deckard being a Replicant, I have one simple response: The question is interesting. The answer is stupid.

It is a very cold and emotionally detached movie.......I guess depending on the viewer, that is a triumph or a pitfall.

I guess you can say I enjoy and appreicate it at arm's length. It's apart of my DVD collection, but not one of the few movies I have fallen in love with.

AndyLGR

Blade Runner was voted the number one sci fi movie of all time at sci-fi online

http://harrisonfordonline.com/?p=4211

The Sci-Fi Online Top 20:

Blade Runner (1982)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Star Wars (1977)
Alien (1979)
Metropolis (1927)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
The Terminator (1984)
Planet of the Apes (1968)
E.T. (1982)
Solaris (1972)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
Forbidden Planet (1956)
The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
A Trip to the Moon (1902)
Aliens (1986)
Silent Running (1972)
Brazil (1985)
Akira (1988)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
Total Recall (1990)

Cole said:
It is a very cold and emotionally detached movie.......I guess depending on the viewer, that is a triumph or a pitfall.

I guess you can say I enjoy and appreicate it at arm's length. It's apart of my DVD collection, but not one of the few movies I have fallen in love with.
Having recently watched the final cut this also sums up my feelings on the movie. Its difficult to to feel any warmth for any of the characters I think. Its an odd film. A stand out film, but one thats difficult to get in to.

Yet it was probably the perfect role for Harrison to play at that time as it was such a departure in tone from the blockbusters like Star Wars and ROTLA.

DocWhiskey

Agreed. I enjoy the noir aspects and they way it's told, but I've come to like the cold impersonal feeling it has. Blade Runner presents itself with a very gritty and bleak future. There's nothing nice about it. So it should be that way. Even the score gives the viewer a very detached and abstract feeling. Now is it the best Sci Fi flick of all time? I honestly don't know. I enjoy the Star Wars films more, but I don't think you're supposed to necessarily "enjoy" Bladerunner. The story isn't uplifting or triumphant. The whole movie is like a sad realization. And, to me, hits an emotional note that Star Wars never could have. And that's why I'm such a dear fan of it. I could never go around and boast how Bladerunner is better then SW (I tried, I failed) because a majority of the people I know would probably think it's simply not. So I sort of have this quiet admiration of it. It beats SW in a film sense but not in an entertainment sense.