Which do you prefer?

• Playstation 3

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • X Box 360

Votes: 24 49.0%

• Total voters

Vance

weaponx24 said:
PS3 Because Ive had 4 XBOX360s and everyone of them crashed and burned with the RED RING OF DEATH!

The PS3's failure rate is nowhere near as high as the X360. I purchased one of the first wave of PS3s and still have it, and it is our MAIN DVD and BluRay player as well.

The Tingler

I'm a little worried by all the fanboyism that goes on in threads like this.

I prefer 360, because it's got the games. With the possible exception of LittleBigPlanet (which looks fun, but no way is it a system seller), there isn't really any good exclusive games on the PS3 (MGS4 doesn't count as a game, more a 60-hour long film). And it has the added bonus of not forcing POINTLESS INSTALLS on several major games, something which I think is one of the very few advantages consoles have over PCs and so should be banned on consoles.

I have to clear something up about the internet connection - Xbox Live Silver is free, so if you just want to use things like Marketplace to get new demos that's okay. If you shell out for the Gold package for the full service, you're getting a service - meaning if it goes wrong, it's fixed very quickly. If the Free PS3 online goes wrong, you're screwed. They'll fix it, but don't expect it to be fixed quickly. You get what you pay for.

As for the 360 crashing, if you buy a new console from a store, it will be fine. It's the first run of consoles that caused all the problems, which unfortunately cost Microsoft a hell of a lot. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Shortie

PS3's aren't break resistent either. All of my friends with PS3's (8 of them) has had their PS3s break. One's PS3 broke the day he got MGS4.
360's from like 2007 & on have the RROD fixed.
The only break resistent system is the Wii.

RaideroftheArk

I don't care what anybody says, one system is no more reliable than another. That's just how it is with electronics...there is so many factors that come into play when taking care of your system, ex: how many hours do you play it? Do you smoke around it? Do you have pets around it? Is it kept dust free? Is there a period of time when the temperature in your house is hotter? Do you watch countless movies on your system?

I had a gamecube I barely played (less than an hour a week), kept in a smoke free/pet free home/dust free (or as dust free as you can get) area...and the thing still broke on me. You can blame some many things, but when it comes down to it, most electronics just have an unpredictable life-span.

As for the PS3 vs. Xbox 360 wireless network....I don't see why you have to pay for a service, especially after shelling out 400 bucks for a system and 60 bucks a pop for the games...having a free network is the least both systems can do.

Vance

The Tingler said:
I prefer 360, because it's got the games.

Well, right now the best SYSTEM is the PS3, but it's really hampered by SoA's anemic support of it and lack of either top-quality games (though there are some, such as Uncharted) or a 'budget game' collection.

All things being equal, though, if you want to get the 'best' Lego Indiana experience, I think the PS3 provides it, but it's not so much different that I would say 'yes, get the PS3 because it's awesomer'.

Since the OP wants Blu Ray as well (presumably for CS and the rumored remastering of the original trilogy), PS3 is really the only option for now. (The XBlu, all but confirmed, won't be out until 2010 or 2011).

Due to price and almost same performance, u dont see difference at all playing games with the exception of free net and blue ray i chose 360 :gun:

weaponx24

PS3 Hands down...the xbox 360 is garbage...i had 4 of them break on me with the horrid red ring of death...made the switch and havent had any problems since. Plus now I have a Blu-Ray DVD player as well as a gaming system. You cant beat it!

Montana_Jones

Been a really long time since I last posted.

I prefer the 360 only since I own it.
I'm more of a game fan compared to bashing consoles. My friend owns a PS3 and it's fun bringing my 360 over and having a game night.
Yeah you heard me, I like both systems. Never really played the Wii though.
What's weird actually is I own 8 360 games and 20 XBOX ones.
360 games I own:
Code:
BioShock
Call of Duty 2: Game of the Year Edition
Call of Duty 3
Dead Rising
The Orange Box
Stranglehold
TimeShift
Tom Clancy's: Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

michael said:
So I ended up buying a ps3! I was definitely leaning towards the ps3 for a while...I just can't stand the idea of paying monthly for an xbox live account. Thanks for all the replies, it definitely helped.

Sad to say... but if you REALLY like videogames, then you made the biggest mistake ever, unless your intentions were only those of buying a "relatively" low-cost/low-quality Blu Ray discs player.

The reasons are waaaay to many to be listed. But since I perfectly know the ignorance regarding videogaming console systems, I'm gonna do a brief recap...
(I'm not stating that you are ignorant, I'm only saying the general public IS enormously ignorant. And that's mainly because of the fact that PlayStation, during the years, has become the de-facto standard videogaming system everywhere. It's never been a matter of quality, it's always only been a matter of "brand" and advertising. PlayStation has always been one of the worse consoles on market, but since most people didn't know it, they bought it anyway without even having a singular good reason to do so.)

Well, I will now try to explain why the XBOX 360 is MUCH, MUCH better than the PS3. Let's begin:

- lower cost (one might think the lower cost is due to inferior technical power... the reason is ABSOLUTELY NOT that. The reason of 360's lower cost simply stands on the fact that the XBOX was designed and developed using well known and consolidated technologies. With the PS3, instead, Sony preferred to impress everybody by showing them a complete abuse of almost prototypical avant-garde electronic technologies. The SPU powering the PS3 is a monster, but only technologically speaking. It's effective computational performances are pretty much the same of the multicore processor of the 360, only slightly better. But since the architectures used for the CELL needed a great technological improvement, the PS3's hardware came out as being much more expensive than the 360's. And in the case you were wondering it, mind that as a matter of fact the XBOX 360 is faster than the PS3, not the opposite. That's because the cache memory of the CELL processor is three times less then the cache memory of the 360's multicore. This means that even if technically speaking the CELL processor is faster than the 360's multicore, the loading times and general computing speed of the XBOX are approssimately three times faster then in PS3 because the XBOX CPU can store three times more datas and load them more easily. I think this is basically the reason why lots of games on the PS3 needs to be actually "installed" on the hard disk... but i'm not sure about this. Anyway, always remember that newer technologies and higher prices DON'T necessarily imply better quality and performances.)

- the best internet service of all time, and potentially free. (I said potentially free because if you use your internet account to chat with friends and download contents, then you don't have to pay absolutely anything. It's a matter of taste, I know, but for somebody who doesn't care about online gaming, XBOX LIVE is free like the PS NETWORK, but works much better, is a lot faster, and the service is always at his top shape, in EVERY country of the world, even here in Italy, not only Japan and/or U.S.)

- MUCH better graphics (visibly better texture quality, better anisotropic filtering power, much more detailed polygon-models on screen, better High Definition compatibility and, most of all, MUCH MUCH faster framerates. All of this is due to the fact that the 360's video card is practically two generations ahead of PS3's. In 2005 Sony, to contain the overall costs, opted for the modification of a really obsolete NVidia GeForce PC video card, while Microsoft, instead, engaged ATI to develop a "special purpose" next generation high-performances video card, technically as advanced as the NOW more powerful PC videocards. And when I say "now" I mean 2008. In 2005, when ATI developed the Xenos video card, there wasn't anything remotely similar to it on PC. It was the most powerful video processing card ever, at that time. Sony instead went for a modified GeForce 5800, wich was an old generation video accelerator, even at that time. Don't buy it when people say RSX is more powerful than the modern GeForce 7800!!! Don't buy it because it's not true!! Really.)

This being said, don't count me as a Microsoft fanboy. Because I am not. It's just that I have accurately followed the development of XBOX and PlayStation through the years and, most importantly, I've seen 'em both in action many times, and compared 'em.
XBOX is waaay better, on almost all of the main gaming aspects (graphics, processing speed, loading times, High Definition compatibility). Add to this the fact that PS3 has practically no more interesting exclusive games and you will know for sure which console to buy. (Final Fantasy, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, the Tomb Raider series, and many many more... all of those games that made the PlayStation so strong in the past are now on the 360 too, just with much better graphics and performances. Even Metal Gear Solid 4 has now a GREAT possibility of becoming multiplatform, as said a couple of days ago by Yo****aka Arai, representative of Konami at the TGS2008. Time will tell.)

So, for the future... if you are not dying to have a Blu Ray player (and in my personal opinion, you shouldn't be), or if you are not an hardcore-die-hard fan of the Gran Turismo series, then go for the XBOX 360 all the way, without even try to dout about it. It's an advice.

;)

Damn, it came out longer than I thought... hope it is also clear enough for everybody mad enough to read it all...

Vance

Considering that nearly every single one of your technical statements is demonstrably untrue, mind if I call you a Microsoft fanboy? :p

"Worst mistake evar!" give me a break.. that line right there kills your credibility.

michael

The Stranger said:
Sad to say... but if you REALLY like videogames, then you made the biggest mistake ever, unless your intentions were only those of buying a "relatively" low-cost/low-quality Blu Ray discs player.

The reasons are waaaay to many to be listed. But since I perfectly know the ignorance regarding videogaming console systems, I'm gonna do a brief recap...
(I'm not stating that you are ignorant, I'm only saying the general public IS enormously ignorant. And that's mainly because of the fact that PlayStation, during the years, has become the de-facto standard videogaming system everywhere. It's never been a matter of quality, it's always only been a matter of "brand" and advertising. PlayStation has always been one of the worse consoles on market, but since most people didn't know it, they bought it anyway without even having a singular good reason to do so.)

Well, I will now try to explain why the XBOX 360 is MUCH, MUCH better than the PS3. Let's begin:

- lower cost (one might think the lower cost is due to inferior technical power... the reason is ABSOLUTELY NOT that. The reason of 360's lower cost simply stands on the fact that the XBOX was designed and developed using well known and consolidated technologies. With the PS3, instead, Sony preferred to impress everybody by showing them a complete abuse of almost prototypical avant-garde electronic technologies. The SPU powering the PS3 is a monster, but only technologically speaking. It's effective computational performances are pretty much the same of the multicore processor of the 360, only slightly better. But since the architectures used for the CELL needed a great technological improvement, the PS3's hardware came out as being much more expensive than the 360's. And in the case you were wondering it, mind that as a matter of fact the XBOX 360 is faster than the PS3, not the opposite. That's because the cache memory of the CELL processor is three times less then the cache memory of the 360's multicore. This means that even if technically speaking the CELL processor is faster than the 360's multicore, the loading times and general computing speed of the XBOX are approssimately three times faster then in PS3 because the XBOX CPU can store three times more datas and load them more easily. I think this is basically the reason why lots of games on the PS3 needs to be actually "installed" on the hard disk... but i'm not sure about this. Anyway, always remember that newer technologies and higher prices DON'T necessarily imply better quality and performances.)

- the best internet service of all time, and potentially free. (I said potentially free because if you use your internet account to chat with friends and download contents, then you don't have to pay absolutely anything. It's a matter of taste, I know, but for somebody who doesn't care about online gaming, XBOX LIVE is free like the PS NETWORK, but works much better, is a lot faster, and the service is always at his top shape, in EVERY country of the world, even here in Italy, not only Japan and/or U.S.)

- MUCH better graphics (visibly better texture quality, better anisotropic filtering power, much more detailed polygon-models on screen, better High Definition compatibility and, most of all, MUCH MUCH faster framerates. All of this is due to the fact that the 360's video card is practically two generations ahead of PS3's. In 2005 Sony, to contain the overall costs, opted for the modification of a really obsolete NVidia GeForce PC video card, while Microsoft, instead, engaged ATI to develop a "special purpose" next generation high-performances video card, technically as advanced as the NOW more powerful PC videocards. And when I say "now" I mean 2008. In 2005, when ATI developed the Xenos video card, there wasn't anything remotely similar to it on PC. It was the most powerful video processing card ever, at that time. Sony instead went for a modified GeForce 5800, wich was an old generation video accelerator, even at that time. Don't buy it when people say RSX is more powerful than the modern GeForce 7800!!! Don't buy it because it's not true!! Really.)

This being said, don't count me as a Microsoft fanboy. Because I am not. It's just that I have accurately followed the development of XBOX and PlayStation through the years and, most importantly, I've seen 'em both in action many times, and compared 'em.
XBOX is waaay better, on almost all of the main gaming aspects (graphics, processing speed, loading times, High Definition compatibility). Add to this the fact that PS3 has practically no more interesting exclusive games and you will know for sure which console to buy. (Final Fantasy, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, the Tomb Raider series, and many many more... all of those games that made the PlayStation so strong in the past are now on the 360 too, just with much better graphics and performances. Even Metal Gear Solid 4 has now a GREAT possibility of becoming multiplatform, as said a couple of days ago by Yo****aka Arai, representative of Konami at the TGS2008. Time will tell.)

So, for the future... if you are not dying to have a Blu Ray player (and in my personal opinion, you shouldn't be), or if you are not an hardcore-die-hard fan of the Gran Turismo series, then go for the XBOX 360 all the way, without even try to dout about it. It's an advice.

;)

Damn, it came out longer than I thought... hope it is also clear enough for everybody mad enough to read it all...
Well since you took all that time to give that information, I figured I would respond.:hat:
I have played both xbox 360 and ps3 (a good amount of each) and I don't doubt that the xbox 360 is better technically (microsoft...), but I am a very casual video game player who wanted a next gen console. And prior to it, I had a ps2 (crapped the bed though), so I found an 80 gig ps3 that is backwards compatible(I still have a couple ps2 games I love)..and yes it also helped that it was a blu-ray player. But for the games I play and would like to play, a ps3 suits me just well, and therefore it just came down to preference. As for online play...again just a casual fan, and I wouldn't want to pay for it. But xbox 360s online service is way better (from my experience).

muttjones

The Stranger said:

;)

in my eyes the graphics are no different for either (my motto for image quality is "If the screen is not snowing then I don't care". I picked a ps3 purely because LittleBigPlanet is a playstation exclusive. Being a long time playstation owner (have owned a PS and a PS2) did not make me decide any different. When it came down to it, XBox did not have this game so I picked the PS3. If XBox 360 had this game as well I would have had $200 extra in my pocket

Bjorn Heimdall

The Tingler said:
I'm a little worried by all the fanboyism that goes on in threads like this.

I prefer 360, because it's got the games. With the possible exception of LittleBigPlanet (which looks fun, but no way is it a system seller), there isn't really any good exclusive games on the PS3 (MGS4 doesn't count as a game, more a 60-hour long film). And it has the added bonus of not forcing POINTLESS INSTALLS on several major games, something which I think is one of the very few advantages consoles have over PCs and so should be banned on consoles.

I have to clear something up about the internet connection - Xbox Live Silver is free, so if you just want to use things like Marketplace to get new demos that's okay. If you shell out for the Gold package for the full service, you're getting a service - meaning if it goes wrong, it's fixed very quickly. If the Free PS3 online goes wrong, you're screwed. They'll fix it, but don't expect it to be fixed quickly. You get what you pay for.

As for the 360 crashing, if you buy a new console from a store, it will be fine. It's the first run of consoles that caused all the problems, which unfortunately cost Microsoft a hell of a lot. I'm one of the lucky ones.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

michael said:
Well since you took all that time to give that information, I figured I would respond. :hat:

That was very kind of you. :)

michael said:
I have played both xbox 360 and ps3 (a good amount of each) and I don't doubt that the xbox 360 is better technically (microsoft...), but I am a very casual video game player who wanted a next gen console. And prior to it, I had a ps2 (crapped the bed though), so I found an 80 gig ps3 that is backwards compatible(I still have a couple ps2 games I love)..and yes it also helped that it was a blu-ray player. But for the games I play and would like to play, a ps3 suits me just well, and therefore it just came down to preference.
muttjones said:
I picked a ps3 purely because LittleBigPlanet is a playstation exclusive. Being a long time playstation owner (have owned a PS and a PS2) did not make me decide any different. When it came down to it, XBox did not have this game so I picked the PS3. If XBox 360 had this game as well I would have had $200 extra in my pocket

Don't worry, guys. That's not a sin. (y)

Vance said:
... nearly every single one of your technical statements is demonstrably untrue...

Yes, sure... that is exactly the reason why things go the way they do. :sleep:

tastethecourage

TheStranger, I respect your opinions on the console war, but....

Computer hardware is my passion. I'm an enthusiast. I build PC's for myself & for my friends. I spend a lot of my free time reading about different builds, future technology, etc.

And I can tell you for sure than the RSX is not a five-year old modified 5800. It really isn't.

That said, 360 still does have an edge in the GPU department, and the PS3 has a theoretical advantage in the CPU department (theoretical because it has yet been able to be realized due to it being difficult to program for).

It's true that for most multi-platform games the 360 gets better framerates. Few reasons for this....

1) More RAM to work with
2) Slightly better GPU
4) More efficient architecture built from the ground up (though it is prone to overheating)
3) Games not utilizing Cell to its maximum (Why pay staff to re-program a game to take advantage of Cell when they can just port it over and call it day because it will sell anyways? It's business. Protect your bottomline.)

I really don't think you can go wrong between PS3 and 360. I own both consoles and I enjoy both of them equally as they both have their pros and cons. The difference in the end though is mostly negligible because the point is to have fun with the games you enjoy most. Which brings me to my final point...

Buy whichever system you believe has the best exclusives. If you're a Metal Gear Solid, Resistance, Little Big Planet type of guy.. get a PS3. If you're a Halo & Gears of War guy, get a 360. It's that simple, really.

Take it easy.