Raiders of the Lost Ark on TV from the 90's or 80's

paraiderfan

Email address

Here is my email address:

rockyponti@comcast.net

If you want a copy of the DVD, shoot me an email and let me know where to send it to. I might even have commercials for it. I'm checking on it now. So you can decide if you want commercials or not.

So let me know and I'll talk to you later

Rocky

Henry W Jones

Was just watching the DVD bonus disc and if you go to "Featurettes" and then go to "Stunts of Indiana Jones" you can hear the line there as well if you turn up the volume. It is quiet because it's in the background of Lucas talking. It's at 4 minutes and 55 seconds.

InVader

Henry W Jones said:
Was just watching the DVD bonus disc and if you go to "Featurettes" and then go to "Stunts of Indiana Jones" you can hear the line there as well if you turn up the volume. It is quiet because it's in the background of Lucas talking. It's at 4 minutes and 55 seconds.

Tis indeed, good ear! Too bad George is speaking at that exact moment. I think I only saw that featurette once before.

indyclone25

whoa , i just saw this thread , i always heard indy say something under the truck , but i thought i was just imagining it . glad i'm not the only one . yeah but since they have been showing the dvd versions on usa channel this year it's no longer there .

Stoo

InVader said:
Stoo, I do indeed have a recording of Excalibur from the mid 80's. What was the addition? I may be able to help verify if it might've been a network addition.
Before commenting on Paraider's generous & noteworthy contribution...

Nice to hear, InVader! The dialogue additions in "Excalibur" are voice-over narrations by Merlin (brilliantly portayed by Nicol Williamson). This version aired on CTV in Canada and the extra bits are not on the VHS or DVD (I have them both). There are 2 parts but I don't don't have access to the recording right now and can't remember them word-for-word.

1) During the opening fight near the very beginning of the film, Merlin's narration talks briefly about why the battle is being fought and by whom.

2) When Uther (disguised as the Duke of Cornwall) is walking down the castle hallway past a pair of growling dogs, the narration briefly explains his mischievous plan.

Words cannot describe how much I love this film so enjoy watching it, InVader!:D

Now, on to the rare audio in the TV version of "Raiders"!(y)(y)(y)

InVader

Stoo said:
1) During the opening fight near the very beginning of the film, Merlin's narration talks briefly about why the battle is being fought and by whom.

Ok, I didn't check on the second portion. But upon quick view of the beginning it starts out with merlin laughing and explaining that the two are fighting it out for kingship of the land, and that perhaps one of them deserves it. followed by another creepy laugh. Is that the dialogue that was missing?
I'll check the second one later.

Henry W Jones

InVader said:
Tis indeed, good ear! Too bad George is speaking at that exact moment. I think I only saw that featurette once before.

I have watched it several times and was focusing on Lucas so I missed it. I know all the dialog, sound f/x, and music of Raiders so well when I saw paraiderfan's clip he posted I filed the dialog in my Raiders memory bank. When the scene came on the featurette I said the line with the grunt in my head and thought "Wait did I really hear that?" So I rewound it a bit, turned it up, and as sure as Indy knows a drawing of the Ark, it was there.

Stoo

paraiderfan said:
OK gang, here it is. This is my first attempt at uploading a video to youtube, so if you would, let me know that it's working. thanks and enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvE5fhsytS8
Rocky/Paraider, THANK YOU so much for uploading this!(y)(y)(y) You have done a great service to the Raven community! I KNEW that a lurker would have it and found it highly amusing that my good friends, Rocket & Montana, doubted its existence straight off the bat.:p:gun:

Would love to have a full copy (with commercials) to also hear the different sound effect for the dropping staff. Who knows what other differences there might be? Got your e-mail and will reply to it soon, Rocky.

You wouldn't happen to have a Czechoslovakian TV broadcast of "Doom" with the egg scene, would you?
Rocket Surgeon said:
Audio is lifted from the bar fight in the Raven, Indy's grunt once the whip tugs him comes from his fight with Pat Roach.

That's still in the mix in another version I have but the level is WAY down.

The phrase is cobbled together, its my guess that the source will be found later.
-What is the other version you have, Rocket?:confused:

-It definitely sounds cobbled together. He also says something before "Do they" but it's hard to hear the exact words (and it doesn't sound like, "What".)

-The 'whip tug grunt' is in the DVD version but very, very low. Don't know if this grunt is a replacement or simply amplified.

-The breaking glass sound a lot like the sound effect used when the German soldier falls into the troop car windshield.
Inexorable Tash said:
"dumb" or "done"?
Good question, Tash, and "done" makes a bit more sense. What Indy actually says and why the line is there is one, big, FAT, mystery!:eek:
Rocket Surgeon said:
That's very generous Rock...I know Stoo would be interested in the commercials almost as much. Do you have the Station intro as well?
Very generous, indeed. How did you know I'd be interested in the commercials? Even though Rocky's copy of the ABC premiere is not the version with the extra audio bits, I want that one, too, for the commercials & bumpers (if there are any) and the intro to the premiere 'event'.
Henry W Jones said:
Say what? Thanks for the heads-up, Henry. I'll check it out. You've just added another piece to the puzzle! Mazel tov.:hat:

paraiderfan

I Wonder....

OK here's something to think about. I know when I see a movie, even for the first time, certain lines in the movie stand out to me. Whether because I found them amusing, or a little strange, or whatever. I'm sure we all do it. Well what if this version of the movie is actually what was in the theatres when Raiders was first released? Now I've said this many times, but I got to see Raiders a week before it was released, but unfortunately with everything that was going on in the movie, I don't remember a single line or sound effects being different. But I do remember in the original Star Wars, when I saw that in theatres, I distinctly remember them saying "Close the blast doors". I thought it was amusing watching the stormtroopers crash into the door. I hadn't heard that line again until the Special Editions were released. And in Crusade I remember the butler saying "if you are a Scottish Lord, then I am Donald Duck." I remember that because I thought it was a bit strange to use Donald Duck and not Mickey Mouse. And I haven't heard the line since.
So again, I pose the thought, could this be the version that was in the movie theatres? Something to think and talk about maybe?

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
I KNEW that a lurker would have it and found it highly amusing that my good friends, Rocket & Montana, doubted its existence straight off the bat.:p:gun:

Indy taught me to be a good skeptic. ;)

It's a wild chicken chase, until you catch the chicken.

Now you have to get your chicken to lay an egg!

InVader

The Drifter said:
Hmmmm, I wonder if this line was in all of the television versions back then or if it was only in airings on certain stations?

I came across an 80's recording of Raiders off of HBO. It does not have the added dialogue.

paraiderfan

Something more on this subject

Hi Everyone,
While perusing youtube looking for more videos on Raiders, mainly on the 30th Hero Complex panel, I came across this little gem. There are a couple of these on youtube. It is the Super 8 version of Raiders, and guess what? It has the different sound effects and the extra dialogue.

Now for some reason I want to say there is a laserdisc with this version but I don't know for sure which one, if any at all. I have my laserdisc set up, so I'll check to see if any of them do.

Anyway, here is the link to the youtube video.

Talk to you later

Rocky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqZENRr38NI

InVader

paraiderfan said:
Hi Everyone,
While perusing youtube looking for more videos on Raiders, mainly on the 30th Hero Complex panel, I came across this little gem. There are a couple of these on youtube. It is the Super 8 version of Raiders, and guess what? It has the different sound effects and the extra dialogue.

Nice find Rocky! Sure enough, there it is at 11:24.

paraiderfan

If Only....

Thanks
Now if only we can find something on the TOD egg scene, and I'm still looking for a copy of Last Crusade with the original name the Butler gives out. It's not Mickey Mouse.

The hunt continues (Cue Indiana Jones theme)