Translation of Barranca's first line

Mickiana

I searched, but could not find an answer to a question: What is the translation of Barranca's first line when he turns around to the Indians and says something that sounds like, "Pula blanca!"?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
You likely already checked these, but the fifth draft of the script, from April 1980, suggests that it could be Quechua. The release dialogue script from '81 doesn't address it.

Mickiana

Yes, I had a look at drafts, but the movie ends up slightly different to the scripts. From what I thought I heard ("Pula Blanca"), I tried Quechua language translators on the net. I must have the first word wrong. Nothing seems to come up. And 'Blanca' is most likely 'Blanco'. Ultimately I guess Barranca is saying to the Indian porters, "Follow the white man" ("Follow Whitey").

Just from the point of view that it is the first line spoken in the Indiana Jones series, I was keen to know exactly what he was saying.

Finn

Staff member
This page has a collection of Peruvian slang words.

They have an interesting meaning for "blanca" and while there's no "pula", there's "pucha", which sounds close enough, especially in accented, soft-consonant Spanish.

So, from this we can deduce that Barranca has just snorted a bad line, and now he's cursing it, "pucha blanca"... as in, "this friggin' coke".

No need to thank me. I'm here to help. :hat:

hatsie

Kind of a late reply, but I just watched it and wondered the same.
My guess is that he says: 'apurate, venga' - hurry up, come on. Makes sense combined with the gesture he makes.

RaidersLovers

The first line of Barranca on the film is not "Punat Blanca" thing. is before, when Barranca says to Sapito or Satipo "Venga Chaval, Mas Rapido" (Come on Boy, Faster). I'm Spanish talker and i Don't know that is what says to the porters. remember that the scripts puts theses porters as Indians, so it could be an indian language.

Stoo

RaidersLovers said:
...when Barranca says to Sapito or Satipo "Venga Chaval, Mas Rapido" (Come on Boy, Faster).
Thanks for translation! Muchas gracias, RaidersLovers. :D

Bienvenido to The Raven! :hat:

RaidersLovers said:
...remember that the scripts puts theses porters as Indians, so it could be an indian language.
Yes, the "other" language is supposed to be Quechuan. It could be a regional dialect.