Jesus' (yes that one) tomb found?

Pale Horse

Staff member
The historicity of Jesus really shouldn't be being debated. Simply, this site has enough of a summary to conclude that there was a man named Jesus who at the very least had a 'celebrity' reputation about him enough to be mentioned in the sources encapsulated therein. But once there is an agreement on such a man, then the more educated philosophical speculation of "so what" can really begin. Until then, all of this banter is simply the debate of what 'is' is.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
CH, can you place a check by people who existed?
John the Baptist
Pontius Pilate
Herod I
Judas Iscariot
Joseph of Arimathea
René Descartes

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I can! I can!

Moedred said:
CH, can you place a check by people who existed?
John the Baptist - check
Pontius Pilate - check
Herod I aka (Herod the Great, not to be confused with his son Herod the Lesser aka Herod II) - check
Judas Iscariot - check
Joseph of Arimathea- check
René Descartes - also check

Btw, I think a separate thread about evolution should be made for any further discussion on that topic.

Johan

The reason why God even allows such debate about Christ is because he doesn't desire that we come to know him by facts, figures, and history. He desires worship and voluntary love. He desires that we are facinated by his mysteries and the many aspects of the beauty he reveals of Himself.

This is why David (which should have been added to the above list) said "One thing I ask of the Lord, one thing I seek. That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the day's of my life and gaze upon his beauty." He can say this because he CAN spend the rest of his life gazing upon the beauty of God and still only scratch the surface of Gods enormity.

HovitosKing

In other words, he desires that we refuse to use the brains "he" gave us and to hide in the shadows of ignorance because the facts, figures, and history don't necessarily agree with "his" written word?

Johan

If he gave us all the answers and 100% proof that everything in scripture is 100% true, there would be no requirement for faith or worship because we wouldn't marvel or ask him anything because we would know it. Scripture say's to Love with all Your heart soul AND MIND. so worship does require your brain as well. The history and facts that we ARE given should drive us to worship in the admittance that ...we know so little of how the uncreated God works. Heck...I could spend a lifetime meditating on that in itself: "Uncreated God"
Makes me tremble

Doc Savage

HovitosKing said:
So are we all in agreement that the bones from this ossuary are in fact those of Jesus of Nazareth?
Only if 'we' are incapable of deductive reasoning and the least bit of judgement. Did you miss the post stating that even atheistic scientists are denouncing the claims? Or are you just trying to be inflammatory?

HovitosKing

Doc Savage said:
Only if 'we' are incapable of deductive reasoning and the least bit of judgement. Did you miss the post stating that even atheistic scientists are denouncing the claims? Or are you just trying to be inflammatory?

I was trying to get us back on topic by fueling a few heated (but on topic) replies to my seemingly counterintuitive post--a move which has possibly been compromised by this revelation...oh well

Doc Savage

HovitosKing said:
I was trying to get us back on topic by fueling a few heated (but on topic) replies to my seemingly counterintuitive post--
Mission accomplished.
HovitosKing said:
...a move which has possibly been compromised by this revelation...oh well
...oh...oops...;)

Pale Horse

Staff member
HovitosKing said:
So are we all in agreement that the bones from this ossuary are in fact those of Jesus of Nazareth?

I don't think so. I am afraid we can't even agree on the possibility of a man named Jesus regardless of his history, claims, reputations, or mythology. It's unfortunate too, that all these minds can't find one nail to hang one coat on. This could be resolved if we could agree to stick to the issues and not to get off the straight and narrow argument. I see it as this) A: are the bones those of one man named Jesus, and B) if so, is that man the same man that mythology and history denotes as the figurehead of Christianity.

HovitosKing

I had a response, but I deleted it and have decided to eliminate myself from this fruitless discussion (at least under the current thread).

Finn

Staff member
HovitosKing said:
I had a response, but I deleted it and have decided to eliminate myself from this fruitless discussion (at least under the current thread).
Debating with a believer is bit like as attempting to play chess with a pigeon. First it overturns your pieces, then leaves the board full droppings and finally flies proudly to other pigeons to tell how it won a chess game.

"I deleted it and have decided to eliminate myself from this fruitless discussion"

Don't say I didn't warn you...

Who said it above... It's ridiculous to even have this thread in a forum about archaeology...

Because there is no such thing here... There is only myth and blind superstition

Doc Savage

Finn said:
Debating with a believer is bit like as attempting to play chess with a pigeon. First it overturns your pieces, then leaves the board full droppings and finally flies proudly to other pigeons to tell how it won a chess game.
I'm glad the moderators are so impartial...and so slow to resort to attacks on character.

HovitosKing

ClintonHammond said:
Don't say I didn't warn you...

lol You definitely did warn me, and in the future I shall be quicker to heed your advice. We're arguing surface-level points here...we need to delve deeper in order to make this debate more meaningful. Unfortunately, this isn't really the place for that. Cheers to all, regardless of your opinion on this matter. :whip: