The Hobbit: A Peter Jackson Trilogy

kongisking

Check this out:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34942

This sounds kind of like wishful thinking; I doubt Jackson and New Line could have made peace with e/o this fast. Sounds skeptical, I think, but if true this is great news that PJ will indeed be back for The Hobbit!

YAHOOOOOOOOO!!! :cool:

Niteshade007

I thought that what's-his-name-Spider-Man-guy was doing the Hobbit.

I guess it doesn't really matter, since I loathed the book, I probably won't end up seeing this anyway.

kongisking

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO PJ! GO PJ! GO PJ! GO PJ! GO PJ!

Non-existent God, thank you SO much!!! :rolleyes:

Good going, Deckard 24! This is BRAIN-BLOWINGLY-GRRRRRRRREAT news!

deckard24

Oki, I agree completely! Hopefully he'll have a similar experience as Lucas did with Irvin Kershner on The Empire Strkes Back! I'm sure PJ will be very involved, but I'm at a loss as to who he could potentially have direct?

Anyone have any ideas?

oki9Sedo

deckard24 said:
Oki, I agree completely! Hopefully he'll have a similar experience as Lucas did with Irvin Kershner on The Empire Strkes Back! I'm sure PJ will be very involved, but I'm at a loss as to who he could potentially have direct?

Anyone have any ideas?

Well thats the thing, I want to see Peter Jackson's interpretation of The Hobbit so that there's a continuity with the previous films.

kongisking

oki9Sedo said:
Well thats the thing, I want to see Peter Jackson's interpretation of The Hobbit so that there's a continuity with the previous films.

Very much agreed. My idea for possible new director, however, would be perhaps Bryan Singer or maybe even James Cameron!!! :cool:

oki9Sedo

kongisking said:
Very much agreed. My idea for possible new director, however, would be perhaps Bryan Singer or maybe even James Cameron!!! :cool:

But see if James Cameron does it, it will feel like a James Cameron film, because he's got a style of direction of his own thats distinct from Peter Jackson's, who also has a style of his own.

Matinee Idyll

James Cameron has a style of suckiness that sucks. Hope he stays well clear of the project.

I'd like to see Jean-Pierre Jeunet or Darren Aronofsky try their hands at it.

ReggieSnake

I'm very excited about this movie. Tolkien was a Genius. Anyone who has not read The Hobbit, or The Lord of Rings for that matter, is missing out on some of the best books ever written, best fantasy for sure.

I'm a bit wary of who the director will be as well, though at least PJ is producing, which I suppose would imply that WETA will be working on the film as well. (anybody know for sure?) I think whoever directs, the film will have a very different flavor than the trilogy, just as The Hobbit is a very different book than The Lord of the Rings. I just hope the film stays true to Middle Earth as they presented it in the trilogy.

kongisking

ReggieSnake said:
I'm very excited about this movie. Tolkien was a Genius. Anyone who has not read The Hobbit, or The Lord of Rings for that matter, is missing out on some of the best books ever written, best fantasy for sure.

I'm a bit wary of who the director will be as well, though at least PJ is producing, which I suppose would imply that WETA will be working on the film as well. (anybody know for sure?) I think whoever directs, the film will have a very different flavor than the trilogy, just as The Hobbit is a very different book than The Lord of the Rings. I just hope the film stays true to Middle Earth as they presented it in the trilogy.

Well, of COURSE they will have WETA doing effects and 'bigatures.' After all, they are the ones with all the files and systems for Gollum, the orcs and all the other fantasy beasts of Tolkien's world. Damn I can't WAIT to see WETA's Smaug! I hope he turns out to be one bad-ass motherf-ing dragon!

If Andy Serkis and Sir Ian McKellen and Ian Holm and Hugo Weaving do not return to their respective roles, I will be one of the most pissed humans on the planet.

GO PJ! GO PJ! GO PJ! GO PJ! GO PJ!

deckard24

From what I've read here and there, the mostly likely candidate could be Sam Raimi! Personally, I think he would be a great choice. Other than Raimi, I wouldn't mind seeing Guillermo Del Toro behind the camera. Jackson, Raimi, and Del Toro all have similar backgrounds(low budget horror flicks) and visual flair. As long as WETA is involved which I'm positive they will be, and Mckellan, Serkis, Weaving, Lee, and possibly Holm return, all will be well!

Zorg

deckard24 said:
From what I've read here and there, the mostly likely candidate could be Sam Raimi! Personally, I think he would be a great choice. Other than Raimi, I wouldn't mind seeing Guillermo Del Toro behind the camera. Jackson, Raimi, and Del Toro all have similar backgrounds(low budget horror flicks) and visual flair.

Del Toro would be a brilliant choice. Sam Raimi also could handle this well.

kongisking

Eh...Raimi doesn't have nearly enough experience or knowledge of the material, certainly nowhere near as much as PJ has. Jackson has gotten the Tolkien gig down cold, and without him as director it would just feel too different in style and tone from the Rings trilogy. If You want a good example of newbies taking over popular franchises and having their entry feel just...off, see Superman II and X3.

deckard24

KongisKing, I completely agree PJ should be the man to take the helm of The Hobbit movies. There's no one else in my opinion who is better fit to... but if he can't do it, I say pass the reins to Del Toro or Raimi!

If PJ is producing, you better believe he'll be extremely hands on. It will be on his home turf of New Zealand, with his FX house WETA, with his same production crew ie. Grant Major, Dan Hennah, etc., and without a doubt the reurn of Howard Shore, Ian Mckellan, Andy Serkis, Hugo Weaving, Christopher Lee, and poss. Ian Holm!

I can't see these films taking a major turn visually like Alfonso Cuaron did with Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban. The Visual continuity, actors' performances, musical score, etc. will all have a kinship to the LotR series.

Peter Jackson would surely film a real masterpiece. But from the rumors I've recently heard, he won't have the time to direct "The Hobbit"... maybe he will be back for the fifth and final movie, but I think "The Hobbit" will probably be filmed by another director (BUT under the direct supervision of P.J.).

Anyway... as usual, I'm a little scared about the announcements I've read. It seems that sir Ian McKellen will almost certainly return as Gandalf the Grey. Christopher Lee and Hugo Weaving said some months ago that they are willing to reprise their roles... and I'm sure Andy Serkis will come back as Gollum too.

But from what I've read some days ago, it seems that the production is not gonna ask Ian Holm to return. They think he is getting too old. But damn, they are wrong... when Gandalf meets Bilbo for the first time in "The Fellowship of the Ring" he clearly says "Bilbo, you haven't aged a day". Ian Holm now is not so different from what he was six years ago... he looks more or less the same, he was quite old even in 2001... and with the right make-up, they can make him look exactly like he was in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. I TRULY HOPE THEY CALL HIM BACK TO PLAY BILBO. I can't stand the idea of a character who change his face... :(