Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Finn

Staff member
The first one was great. Because of Depp, but it earns credit for other things as well.

It quickly declined with parts two and three. The usual happened: they tried to top the first one so hard they ended up falling flat on their stomachs instead. Depp was still great though and pretty much the only thing that made those flicks worth watching.

So in a way, him not possibly being in part four might just be a good thing. It might make the writers go "hey, Johnny's not in this, we'll have to come up with something genuinely brilliant now and not just trust that he pulls it off no matter what kind of turkey we come up with".

Mucho preferred.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
dr.jones1986 said:
Barbossa and Jack are all that is needed...Mr.Gibbs to. I think Will and Elizabeth story has run its course, all we needs is PIRATES and some adventure for them to go on.

Totally agree. Besides why advertise Pirates 4 with Depp's appearance at the D23 convention, if he isn't going to be in it? I doubt there's truth to the rumour. Disney's a Hollywood company, they want the star power in the franchise in order to make the money.

In any case, I'm just hoping it doesn't end up like "World's End". I really enjoy both the original and the second one, but the third was just freaking looney and as much as I love Cap't Jack, the whole clones thing just didn't fit in with the other two films. Maybe filming back to back sequels aren't the best ideas after all (even Matrix 3 fell flat, even if the 2nd one was pretty good). The energy levels are just not the same without some time in between to recoperate and to get the creative juices back up and flowing again.

RedeemedChild

QBComics said:
Is Disney really that stupid? *sigh*

Depp made the movies, you can't just recast him like that. Hopefully Depp will stay, because I really can't see anyone playing Sparrow, other than Depp.

Disney is not ditching Depp. That's just a distraction to get fans up in arms and to help keep an interest in Pirates of the Caribbean until the next movie is released.

Beauty and the Beast:

DavyJones400px.jpg

naomie_harris.jpg

Bring Back Tia Dalma (Calypso) and Davy Jones (in human form this time) Disney and I'll be happy.

TheMutt92

Cruz onboard...

http://screenrant.com/pirates-of-the-caribbean-4-cast-penelope-cruz-kofi-44852/

THR is reporting that Academy Award-winning actress Penélope Cruz will be adding a bit of spicy flavor to the upcoming fourth installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, which is titled On Stranger Tides.

Details on Cruz?s character are being kept under tight wraps, although it is being floated that, ?she is to be [Jack] Sparrow?s foil and equal in many ways.?

Exulted Unicron

I liked the high adventure of the trilogy. But what annoyed me was Depp's arrogance during a recent interview regarding the new movie. Him pretty much stating "there is no movie without me!", however, part of me laughed when I read that Disney has plans to replace him soon anyway with a new and younger character.

Dr. Gonzo

Not looking forward to this movie at all. Just thought I'd drop a tid-bit for those of you interested since I am happy when others let me in on the loop of films I look forward to.
I've been hearing through the grapevine that Blackbeard will be the "bad guy" of this film.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Dr. Gonzo said:
Not looking forward to this movie at all. Just thought I'd drop a tid-bit for those of you interested since I am happy when others let me in on the loop of films I look forward to.
I've been hearing through the grapevine that Blackbeard will be the "bad guy" of this film.

Disney did a film called "Blackbeard's Ghost", a few decades back. Co-incidence, or just good marketing?

TheMutt92

McShane is Blackbeard...

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/02/22/disney-wants-ian-mcshane-as-blackbeard-for-pirates-4/

I'm just one loud movie geek, but I call this some pretty rock-solid casting. According to THR's Heat Vision blog, the studio is looking at the great British actor Ian McShane to play the villainous Blackbeard in the next Pirates of the Carribean flick. Johnny Depp will, of course, be returning as Jack Sparrow -- but there'll be no Will Turner or Elizabeth Swann to coo over. Taking over the director's reins from Gore Verbinski is Rob Marshall, whom you all know from Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha, and last year's Nine. Screenwriters Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio are back as well.

Film fans will no doubt remember Mr. McShane from flicks like Death Race, The Golden Compass, and Sexy Beast -- whereas HBO subscribers will always remember the actor as the lyrically profane and wonderfully despicable Al Swearengen from Deadwood. (Animation buffs must also love this guy: He's given his pipes to Coraline, Shrek 3, and Kung Fu Panda.) And if you're looking for a great, colorful, larger-than-life villain, this is one of the actors to talk to. This bodes well for Pirates 4, if you ask me.

tambourineman

Al Swearengen as Blackbeard? Thats the single greatest piece of casting Ive ever heard of.

No Will and Elizabeth, Ian McShane as Blackbeard.. The more I hear about this movie the more Im looking forward to it. Could be the sequel Ive been waiting for since first seeing (and loving) the first film.

dr.jones1986

I was watching the dvd commentary for the first pirates the other day and I heard one of the writers say that his goal for the movie was to do a "raiders of the lost ark on water". I thought this was funny because I always viewed pirates as being one of the most "indy" like movies out there. Hero who is both valiant and also has his shady side, adventure, paranormal artifacts, exotic locals, humor, action etc.

I am pumped for this movie, I thought the first one was the best. I enjoyed the 2 and 3 but think they went a little to heavy on the fantasy side of the spectrum. Has anyone got a conformation on Geoffery Rush's return for this movie? Barbossa is my favorite character and an awsome foil for Jack.

dr.jones1986

I was watching the dvd commentary for the first pirates the other day and I heard one of the writers say that his goal for the movie was to do a "raiders of the lost ark on water". I thought this was funny because I always viewed pirates as being one of the most "indy" like movies out there. Hero who is both valiant and also has his shady side, adventure, paranormal artifacts, exotic locals, humor, action etc.

I am pumped for this movie, I thought the first one was the best. I enjoyed the 2 and 3 but think they went a little to heavy on the fantasy side of the spectrum. Has anyone got a conformation on Geoffery Rush's return for this movie? Barbossa is my favorite character and an awsome foil for Jack.

Le Saboteur

Violet Indy said:
Disney did a film called "Blackbeard's Ghost", a few decades back. Co-incidence, or just good marketing?

Blackbeard's Ghost is hilarious. Peter Ustinov was in full-form, and I'd watch Suzanne Pleshette any day of the week. In all seriousness though, it isn't that much of a stretch to think that Blackbeard would appear in one of the Pirates movies. He is quite possibly the most infamous pirate of them all.

tambourineman said:
Al Swearengen as Blackbeard?

He'll always be Mr. Black Magic to me.

Lego Indy

The first 2 were great. The third dropped the ball, but this new info. gives me hope that Pirates 4 will be the best of them all! (y)

kongisking

Penelope Cruz and Ian McShane? Wow, these are awesome casting choices! Keep it up, Disney, and I'll be there opening weekend (like I wasn't going to be before...:rolleyes: )!

roundshort

Le Saboteur said:
Blackbeard's Ghost is hilarious. Peter Ustinov was in full-form, and I'd watch Suzanne Pleshette any day of the week. In all seriousness though, it isn't that much of a stretch to think that Blackbeard would appear in one of the Pirates movies. He is quite possibly the most infamous pirate of them all.

DING DING DING, we have a winner! Blackbeards Ghost is one of the top Disney "Campy" moveis of all times!

I am very excited about this. I think the first two Pirates are among the two greatest action movies ever made. Have NO idea what happened the the last. Horrible, the terror, the terror.

This should be great!

And Susan Pleshette, they don't make them liek that anymore!

RedeemedChild

Lego Indy said:
The first 2 were great. The third dropped the ball, but this new info. gives me hope that Pirates 4 will be the best of them all! (y)

I beg to differ with you my dear friend. The first movie "Curse of the Black Peal" was horrific in my opinion, the second and third "Dead Man's Chest and At World's End WERE BEYOND SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

At Word's End is my all time favorite out of them all.

As for Blackbeard's Ghost, I think it's a wonderful Disney Classic and I'm happy Disney is bringing Captain Blackbeard back via Ian McShane of "Jesus of Nazareth" and "The Dark Is Rising".