Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

TheMutt92

One thing that (sadly) won't be on the soundtrack (warning: NSFW)...

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GI6CfKcMhjY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Man

Sniffy first impressions...

It's not unusual for the fourth instalments in movie franchises to critically fail, (see Indiana Jones, Die Hard, Rambo, Shrek) and Guardian film reviewer Steve Rose says Pirates has suffered the same fate, labelling On Stranger Tides a "piratical wacky race" that deserves just two stars.*

"Everyone else is so scheming and self-centred and double-crossing, it's not always clear who to root for, who's in cahoots with whom, or what anyone's going to do if/when they actually find the sacred fountain.**"

*Deja vu..?
**Double deja vu?

WillKill4Food

I saw a few good reviews of it as well, so perhaps not all is lost. When I read that last bit you quoted, I wondered whether the author had seen the third film...
Evidently OST is also "darker" than the second and third. I don't know how that could be; the two films were (I thought) pretty "dark," they just handled it in a light-hearted way.

The Man

TheMutt92 said:
One thing that (sadly) won't be on the soundtrack (warning: NSFW)...

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GI6CfKcMhjY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's terrifyingly catchy. (y)

The Man

WillKill4Food said:
I saw a few good reviews of it as well, so perhaps not all is lost.

Evening the keel...

Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow is back in excellent form for his fourth adventure in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, which is more serious in the hands of a new director, Rob Marshall, and thanks to Penelope Cruz it?s also a good deal sexier.

At 141 minutes, the film is marginally the shortest in the series and it profits from that. Cruz is a wonderful addition and a teaser following the credits augers well for more so long as Depp continues to get as much enjoyment from playing the role as he gives to his audience.

TheMutt92

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/STQ8LBIAHBc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Man

kongisking said:
I'm sensing a case of Pre-Viewing Bias...:eek:

I doubt the movie will garner many converts, yet the general tone seems to indicate that those who enjoyed the overall trilogy will be happy.

Captain Craig

As I think I said before upthread the lack of Will Turner and Elizabeth Swan has me excited.

I own all three but I must say the first one is the one I really rewatch semi-regularly. It's in the rotation with my IJ films, V for Vendetta, Die Hard, Predator and Goonies for films I default to.

I'm hoping this movie is more inline with Pearl than the last two movies.

From what I hear, it's just as good as the first, if not better...depends on which adventure you prefer. So far I have heard 8 VERY Positive Reviews, and only 1 semi-negative...even though the negative wasn't too bad, it just wasn't the reviewers favorite genre of film :p

The Man

Forbidden Eye said:
The first film got a lot of negative reviews(at RottenTomatoes, it has a 78% which isn't terrible, but you'll find a lot of "Top Critics" who hated it) so I'm not worried.

The TF review reads like a two-star but merits a three? Inconsistent. Confused. Or maybe a printing error. (y)

The Man

TheMutt92 said:
Full soundtrack to listen to...

http://www.facebook.com/PiratesoftheCaribbean?sk=app_204619799559176

I must say, after listening to the soundtrack here and there, its defintly equal to Zimmer's work on the previous films. Bringing in Rodrigo y Gabriela also gives the score a fresh sound to it.

Definitely. 'Palm Tree Escape' and
'Angry And Dead Again'
are infectiously flamencoed. Haven't listened to the remixes yet.

Anyhoo, more decent buzz...

As far as plot is concerned it?s nice to see that On Stranger Tides has returned back to a more straightforward narrative. The past two films were so convoluted with various subplots and villains that it was near impossible to make any sense of them. However the latest is thankfully far more straightforward affair.

Overall On Stranger Tides is a strong entry into the franchise, and after the mess which were the last two sequels, it?s good to see the series finally back on track. If this segment is successful there is already talk of making another two sequels with Jack Sparrow remaining the focus.

TheMutt92

The Man said:
Definitely. 'Palm Tree Escape' and
'Angry And Dead Again'
are infectiously flamencoed. Haven't listened to the remixes.

Not usually a fan of remixes, but these are actually quite good.

As for the rest of the soundtrack, standout tracks for me include:
Palm Tree Escape
The Pirate That Should Not Be
Guilty of Being Innocent of Being Jack Sparrow
Angry And Dead Again (I'm interested to see what that title suggests in the final film)
Mutiny

And of course the End Credits (never a disappointment).

Like I said, bringing in Rodrigo y Gabriela was a smart move. The score keeps all the familiar elements we've come to associate w/ POTC, and yet gives us something new to listen to.

Thinking back on it, Hans Zimmer is perhaps the greatest film composer working today (I would say John Williams, but he hasn't really done much, except KOTCS, since the SW prequels wrapped). Think about it: The Lion King, Prince of Egypt, Gladiator, Sherlock Holmes, Inception Batman Begins/The Dark Knight, and of course POTC... Hans Zimmer really has changed the sound of the film score, particularly when it comes to summer fare.

And for those of you who only want a taste of the soundtrack:
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Ue5CIlJmtY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

WillKill4Food

TheMutt92 said:
Angry And Dead Again (I'm interested to see what that title suggests in the final film)
Zombies, perhaps?
I doubt its a reference to a major character, although
Blackbeard died in like 1718, and the film supposedly takes place in 1750.

TheMutt92 said:
But that was in the
trailer
so is it really a
spoiler?

TheMutt92

WillKill4Food said:
Zombies, perhaps?
I doubt its a reference to a major character, although
Blackbeard died in like 1718, and the film supposedly takes place in 1750.

But that was in the
trailer
so is it really a
spoiler?

Just covering myself. Don't wanna accidentally spoil the film for anyone.

As for referencing a major character,
Blackbeard, Jack, and Barbossa have all died before, so...

WillKill4Food

By major character, I meant Jack or Barbossa, forgetting Blackbeard. After four films, I guess I'm not sure I'd call he of the hemp beard a "major" character yet.
TheMutt92 said:
Blackbeard, Jack, and Barbossa have all died before, so...
Yes, so killing Jack or Barbossa again would seem a little lame, wouldn't you agree? How many lives do pirates have, after all?
My bet is that it's the mermaid or Blackbeard who's angry and dead again.

Contrary to what I expected, the more I hear about this film, the more I want to see it.