The Gates of Hell

Has anyone seen or heard of this place? Happy Halloween!

Derweze (Turkmen language: The Gate, also known as Darvaza) is a Turkmenistan village of about 350 inhabitants, located in the middle of the Kara-Kum desert, about 260 km north from Ashgabat.

Darvaza inhabitants are mostly Turkmen of the Teke tribe, preserving a half-nomadic lifestyle.

The "Door to Hell"

5.jpg

Two people in front of the gas crater at night.The Derweze area is rich in natural gas. While drilling in 1971 geologists accidentally found an underground cavern filled with natural gas.The ground beneath the drilling rig collapsed, leaving a large hole with a diameter of about 50-100 meters. To avoid poisonous gas discharge, it was decided to burn the gas. Locals have named the cavern The Door to Hell. Despite remnants of the drilling rig still being visible, however, official government guides will tell you that the crater was caused by a meteor strike. As Darvaza no longer has an airstrip, the crater's site is too far from the capital to send a foam plane to put the blaze out.

Indy Scout 117

woa!!! that is pretty sick man!! that is sooo cool...pay ya five bucks to see if hells on the other side...:p just kidding.

Indy Scout 117 said:
woa!!! that is pretty sick man!! that is sooo cool...pay ya five bucks to see if hells on the other side...:p just kidding.

They shall not prevail against me!

I'll take that bet, you're gonna regret...

Indy Scout 117

Rocket Surgeon said:
They shall not prevail against me!

I'll take that bet, you're gonna regret...
"...cuz im the best theres ever been!!" did you try to reference the song "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"?? thats a great song...:p

The Gates of Hell (French: ''La Porte de l'Enfer'') is a monumental sculptural group work by French artist Auguste Rodin that depicts a scene from "The Inferno", the first section of Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy. It stands at 6 m high, 4 m wide and 1 m deep (19.69'H × 13.12'W × 3.29'D) and contains 180 figures. The figures range from 15 cm high up to more than one metre. Several of the figures were also cast independently by Rodin.

The sculptural ensemble was commissioned by the Directorate of Fine Arts in 1880 and was meant to be delivered in 1885. Rodin would continue to work on and off on this project for 37 years, until his death in 1917.

The Directorate asked for an inviting entrance to a planned Decorative Arts Museum with the theme being left to Rodin's selection. Even before this commission, Rodin had developed sketches of some of Dante's characters based on his admiration of Dante's Inferno[citation needed].

The Decoratives Arts Museum was never built. Rodin worked on this project on the ground floor of the Hôtel Biron. Near the end of his life, Rodin donated sculptures, drawings and reproduction rights to the French government. In 1919, two years after his death, The Hôtel Biron became the Musée Rodin housing a cast of The Gates of Hell and related works.

Check it out! can you find Adam and Eve?

368px-Hoellentor.jpg

History International right now...

Gates of Hell

Throughout ancient history, myths have spread of six locations on Earth believed to be portals into Hell, as the locations include an Icelandic volcano, South American cave, a lake of fire in Africa and a Basilica in Ireland.

Two hours long it airs again at Two AM tomorrow, (three and a half hours from now) and twice more on November first...All Saints Day.

Masaya: Boca del Infierno

Xibalba

The Amduat was a "book" to help survive the pitfalls of the journey through the underworld...

Last edited:

indyt

That was a great show on Hist channel. I have been to the "gate of Hell" in Nicaragua on a mission trip about two years ago. Cool place. Another place considered by the ancients, including Christ, is at Ceasarea Phillipi in Israel. The temples of Zeus and Pan are located there. There is a pit there, now covered with rock that children were thrown in as sacrifices. I had the chance to visit that as well a couple of years ago.

Paden

Rocket Surgeon said:
The Directorate asked for an inviting entrance to a planned Decorative Arts Museum with the theme being left to Rodin's selection.
Anyone else find this mildly ironic? ;)

Kidding aside, this is a (literally) astounding piece of work. 180 figures. The accomplishment boggles the mind.

indyt said:
That was a great show on Hist channel. I have been to the "gate of Hell" in Nicaragua on a mission trip about two years ago. Cool place. Another place considered by the ancients, including Christ, is at Ceasarea Phillipi in Israel. The temples of Zeus and Pan are located there. There is a pit there, now covered with rock that children were thrown in as sacrifices. I had the chance to visit that as well a couple of years ago.
I have to say, no matter how much I enjoy the graphics and setting the mood this Halloween, The History Channel specials really do lay it on thick.

This TWO HOUR special hardly had an hours worth of content, but saddled with all the commercials they would have to, (it seems) summarize the show after every break. Great way to keep your graphic artists employed...

They used the Hell and damnation rhetoric to sell the rest of the show, but I could have done without the three preachers as well...give us more history not hysteria!
Paden said:
Anyone else find this mildly ironic? ;) Kidding aside, this is a (literally) astounding piece of work. 180 figures. The accomplishment boggles the mind.
Astounding is right, too bad it wasn't part of the History Channel special. I would rather have heard about his working style, and a dissection of the piece itself. But we got a couple of bible thumpers and a "recording" of the voices from hell, or more likely recordings from a gulag.