Indy-Get-Togethers/ JonesStock

Webley

Now would be a good time for you to plan on getting together with other members who live neer you to hook up and see Jones4 in 05.

merancapeman

Renderking, maybe i can come this time. (I know, what a strange time to pop up). I am working on the music, don't ever think i gave up. I'm almost done with the intro score, lol. Now, renderking, maybe we can plan something?

Webley

We should all meet up in some big city to see Jones 4 in 2005! Start saveing your $$ for the big trip.

Joe Brody

Are we gonna jinx things if we start this discussion now?

For most openings I'd say do it on the East Coast to take advantage of the Eastern time zone (and the 'earlier' opening) but with a movie like Indy IV I wouldn't be surprised by a simultaneous nationwide opening. If so, then other factors should come into play -- like trying to make cost of travel the cheapest for the greatest number and what other attractions the locale would afford.

Some of the obvious candidates would be:
(1) LA -- Disneyland and a certain ride come to mind.
(2) Orlando -- WDW -- plus cheap rooms and flights.
(3) Vegas -- Enough said (plus cheap rooms and flights). [Incidentally the Lewboskifest people are holding their Lewboskifest West in Vegas this summer for the stated and other obvious reasons].

Me? I like New York City -- I'm 25 minutes outside the City (just north across the border with the border with the Bronx). I'm sure Indy IV will open in a number of good theartres in the city -- including my favorite for a big premire, the Ziegfeld in Midtown. If the consensus is Orlando or New York, I could help organize something.

Joe Brody

If we're going to do this, I'd suggest that the mods set up separate table as part of their overhaul here.

For one thing, planning an event generates a lot of chatter and it helps to isolate it in one place. The Lewboskifest people have a separate table for planning their fests.

Second, Ren I know you, I and some others intend to swear off most if not all of the tables here so as not to learn unwanted bits of info about Indy IV -- so this is an important reason to isolate an area to plan an event.

Indyologist

Re: Are we gonna jinx things if we start this discussion now?

I live in Buffalo, NY but I'd gladly go to NYC for a big Indy opening and to meet y'all. Just please try to keep it as cheap as possible. I'd splurge a little bit 'cause Indy's worth it. However, $500 is the limit for me. Well, maybe $600, but NO HIGHER!!

BTW, if we are actually going to do this, the absolute latest time we should start planning is some time in April because the movie will probably open sometime between May-July. Better yet, start planning NOW so we can make arrangements, save $$, etc. We need someone to coordinate all this and do some research on hotel/travel packages for a large group to go to NYC. Someone that can be trusted with personal information (like our addresses, phone #s, etc.) and possibly with money (such as to make a down payment for our rooms, etc.). I think this is a great idea, but we need to ACT immediately. You can count me in.

Joe Brody said:
For most openings I'd say do it on the East Coast to take advantage of the Eastern time zone (and the 'earlier' opening) but with a movie like Indy IV I wouldn't be surprised by a simultaneous nationwide opening. If so, then other factors should come into play -- like trying to make cost of travel the cheapest for the greatest number and what other attractions the locale would afford.

Some of the obvious candidates would be:
(1) LA -- Disneyland and a certain ride come to mind.
(2) Orlando -- WDW -- plus cheap rooms and flights.
(3) Vegas -- Enough said (plus cheap rooms and flights). [Incidentally the Lewboskifest people are holding their Lewboskifest West in Vegas this summer for the stated and other obvious reasons].

Me? I like New York City -- I'm 25 minutes outside the City (just north across the border with the border with the Bronx). I'm sure Indy IV will open in a number of good theartres in the city -- including my favorite for a big premire, the Ziegfeld in Midtown. If the consensus is Orlando or New York, I could help organize something.

LASTCRUSADER

I'm in Ottawa Canada and would also be willing to take part in this. I've never been to NYC so I would make the drive down for sure.

Indyologist

NYC (?) Jonestock plans

OR-- we could just plan our trips to NYC individually, in which case we'd have to have definate, CONCRETE information as to where we are going to meet, the time and what our
"Indy Itinerary" is going to be. I want some kind of a flyer or something in the mail or a very detailed e-mail, if we choose to do this.

(Although, you'd have to admit that a bunch of Indy freaks taking up half a floor of a hotel would be a friggin' riot and would generate a lot of publicity!)

Joe Brody

I agree that everyone would handle their own travel arrangements personally and then the organizer (like I said, I'd help with NY or Orlando) would (i) post info regarding hotels, (ii) come up with an itinerary (sp?) of sites and other local activities of interest for the weekend (so that people traveling to the destination can make a mini-vacation of the opening weekend), (iii) post info and help organize catching the movie (I don't know how cooperative theatres are with booking groups for big event films on the opening weekend, so this will have to be explored), and (iv) possibly help put together at least one get-together (like a dinner) for the group.

As to the film, one problem would be picking a time. The film will most likely open mid-week -- before some people can complete their traveling. So some consensus would have to be reached as to when would be best time to see the movie -- at the beginning or end of the weekend.

As to the locale, planning will be dictated by the destination.

For example, if Orlando is picked, I would propose a number or WDW and non-Disney resorts for people to stay. One neat possiblity would be to get a number of campsites at Fort Wilderness Campground and have a group BBQ at some point during the weekend (incidentally, one of the better resorts, the Wildneress Lodge is in walking distance of the campground for those disinclined to camp). One day -- probably a Satuday -- would be spent in the Parks, most likely MGM. We could set a time to see the stunt show as a group.

If New York is picked, I could post a number of good places to stay and good attactions in and around the city. I could organize a great hike up at Harriman State park just up the Hudson from the City. And again, we'd have to settle on a time and catch the film some time during the weekend.

Webley

Re: NYC (?) Jonestock plans

Indyologist said:
(Although, you'd have to admit that a bunch of Indy freaks taking up half a floor of a hotel would be a friggin' riot and would generate a lot of publicity!)
Ya we'd be like Rock & Roll stars but not as cool!

Webley

So whos all going to NYC in 05. Are the west costers going to meet in LA and what are the guys in Europe going to do.

Indyologist

I would gladly plan to go to NYC, but not after everyone here agrees on the basics: how much to pay, where to meet, etc. I'll have to review some of the suggestions on this thread and post back later. I think the best thing we can to is take a head count of how many people are really serious about going, throw out some suggestions and then vote on which plan is the best. Majority rules.

Oh, and by the way, wherever we end up meeting together, I don't want anyone sneaking up behind us with a grenade launcher and saying "yoo-hoo" ala Raiders!