Spielberg says "Don't Vote"

Vance

Why didn't you chagrin that fellow then who said that voting is impotant because there's a woman on the ballot, hmm?

Okay. He's an *******. Gunner's Mate First Class Phillip J *******. (Honestly, I missed the post here that said that.. but I find that voting for someone - or not - just because of their race or gender pretty much does qualify you as '*******' all around.)

Edit: Apparently the reason I didn't is because '*******' is replaced with asterisks. :)

Finn

Staff member
Vance said:
Apparently the reason I didn't is because '*******' is replaced with asterisks. :)
And thank the Lord for that.

And I agree with you in that sense that I couldn't vote based on race or gender alone either. Hell no, never. But as stated before, I accept the fact that I live on the same Earth with dozens of idiots.

There's something else that interests me, and this is not directed to anyone in particular... what about party? I mean, if there's a candidate out there who is known to be a good man all around and certainly connects with you, but you can't bring yourself to vote for this particular candidate because he doesn't represent the party you usually go with... is that a reason good enough or not? And I mean this question to be purely hypothetical.

Vance

gear guardian said:
Yeah, that's what I've been feeling towards a lot (but not all) of his supporters, but you put it in better words.

I probably overstated it a bit, but I constantly run into people who are saying that. Or, like I ran into a bit at Wal*Mart, a number of people who are literally afraid to say they don't like Obama, for fear of being labelled a racist.

I wonder how much this will translate in the actual election next month. (This isn't, after all, without some precedent.)

Vance

Finn said:
And I mean this question to be purely hypothetical.

It's a fair question. Party is a slightly different beast, because at that point you're dealing with how the candidate interacts with the rest of Congress or the House. Even if I were to like a Democrat better than McCain (like, say, Hillary Clinton), I would have to keep in mind that she would have had to barter and bargain heavily with Pelosi and Reid in order to govern - which may (would, in this case) undermine why I would prefer her in the first place.

Though I would agree less with McCain, though, on key issues, he would have to work as a Republican and thus get the support of his party when and where it's needed. Certainly the Democrats have proven that bipartisanship is nothing more than lip-service these days.

So, that's where 'voting party' may come in. You're less voting the candidate, and voting the ideals that the overall party supposedly stands for (which is admittedly problematic), knowing that all the candidates, in theory, are pushing to make the agenda happen. (It's the Primaries where the candidates should be sorted out, in these cases.)

Edit: And on an unrelated note... post #500

spiralout

Vance said:
Unfortunately, yes. If you pin down most of Obama's supporters, that's the answer you will very sadly come up with.

And how many McCain supporters would admit to disliking the idea of a black president if you pinned them down?

Baseless accusations can go both ways.

Vance

spiralout said:
And how many McCain supporters would admit to disliking the idea of a black president if you pinned them down?

Here's the difference. One campaign and candidate is actually declaring you a racist if you don't for Obama, openly, and officially, literally all over the world. I've yet to see anything official from the McCain camp saying 'don't vote for the black guy'.

If you find something official from McCain or Palin's campaign that says that, please let me know and post it here.

spiralout

Vance said:
Here's the difference. One campaign and candidate is actually declaring you a racist if you don't for Obama, openly, and officially, literally all over the world.

Really? I must have missed all those campaign speeches and commercials saying "vote for me or you're racist".

Gear

Vance said:
Here's the difference. One campaign and candidate is actually declaring you a racist if you don't for Obama, openly, and officially, literally all over the world. I've yet to see anything official from the McCain camp saying 'don't vote for the black guy'.

If you find something official from McCain or Palin's campaign that says that, please let me know and post it here.

Actually, would you please post evidence supporting your claim first?

* Disclaimer: I am not showing support for either candidate with the above and any previous posts.

Vance

Edit: Just to let people in this rather active thread know, I'm going to be taking a few down days to get stuff caught up elsewhere. So I'm dissapearing for a few. Enjoy, and try to remember the end goal of this election is NOT to get the people who disagree with you, but to choose the right candidate that you feel is best for everyone.

Finn

Staff member
Perhaps because it was more about certain characters on the skit and not the election itself... of course, the late sway in subject has brought it more closer to the latter than I'd like to admit.

In any case, let's try to bring it back to the former, eh. Granted there still is something to say about it.