Indy V is in China???

muttjones

I, as well as many other people at the raven think that if they were to make an Indy V that it would be good to set it in china.

The setting is great, there are communists, even Lao Che and his gang could make an appearance!!! :D

So what do you all think??

If Indy V was set in China, what would the storyline be?

TheMutt92

I agree, China would interesing. We get new villains (or should I say, a variant on an old group of villains?). Lao Che and his gang returning? I'm iffy. Even though there scene in TOD is one of the best, it dosn't make a lot of sense that they would return after only being in the first 10 minutes of that film. It would just seem like Lucas trying to make his connections again.

foreignerfred

Audriana Jones said:
The setting is great, there are communists, even Lao Che and his gang could make an appearance!!! :D

Not according to imdb. Roy Chiao who played Lao Che died in 1999 due to heart disease. I don't know what the facts are, but I doubt that even imdb would wrongly state someone's death.

The Man

foreignerfred said:
Not according to imdb. Roy Chiao who played Lao Che died in 1999 due to heart disease. I don't know what the facts are, but I doubt that even imdb would wrongly state someone's death.

Who's up for a CG Lao Che?

BlackSleep

Lao Che was a two-bit gangster. By the 1950's he'd have been assassinated or replaced anyway. I'd like to see Indy in Asia, China would be awesome, and a Lao Che reference somewhere would be awesome (Lao Che Air Freight cargo plane in the background or something); But a new storyline would probably be cooler.

Nurhachi1991

What about Kao Khan? after the death of his father he rose through the ranks of the Chinese underworld becoming one of the top crimelords that is believable.

Mickiana

China sounds like a great choice. A lot of exotic locations possible plus plenty of archaeological history. Maybe the prize could be something to do with Emperor Qin's burial place? I don't know if it has been opened yet, but apparently it might have been festooned with booby traps. The Entombed Warriors is something that much of the world is already familiar with, which may help...

Nurhachi1991

Mickiana said:
China sounds like a great choice. A lot of exotic locations possible plus plenty of archaeological history. Maybe the prize could be something to do with Emperor Qin's burial place? I don't know if it has been opened yet, but apparently it might have been festooned with booby traps. The Entombed Warriors is something that much of the world is already familiar with, which may help...

Indy already went in Qin's tomb.............

China Jim

Indy V in China would not be possible

Is they did as you guys suggested it would place a 60 year old Dr Henry Jones in the middle or at least the start of the so called cultural revolution and he would not be a welcome visitor at all during said revolution outsiders were not allowed into China Mao was not the least bit interested in cultural heritage preservation as the burning of several temples during this time has shown so Indy V in China i don't think so. Now Nepal might be a good place.

deckard24

China would be great, but they do risk treading on The Mummy:Tomb of the Dragon Emperor's territory. Granted if Indy V does happen it won't be for several years, so it won't be that big of a deal. Still it'll have to be a very unique fresh spin to not look like it's copying off of it. Personally I'd love to see Indy in the mountains of Nepal again, some action in Hong Kong's harbor, and some trek scenes by the Great Wall! Lao Che's sons could make an appearance, and perhaps Shorty could return to help Indy navigate through the Chinese underworld!

muttjones

China Jim said:
Is they did as you guys suggested it would place a 60 year old Dr Henry Jones in the middle or at least the start of the so called cultural revolution and he would not be a welcome visitor at all during said revolution outsiders were not allowed into China Mao was not the least bit interested in cultural heritage preservation as the burning of several temples during this time has shown so Indy V in China i don't think so. Now Nepal might be a good place.

all the more plot thickening!!! the chinese army coud be after Indy for entering the country unallowed and their could be Mao's personal army racing against indy for the artifact!!!!!!!

all the more interesting! im having an ideas explosion in my head!!!!!! :confused:

muttjones

peterlally said:
Wont somebody put Indy back in the Desert lol

it could not work in china anyway cos of the mummy movie coming out later this year.

the desert is cool but im a bit sik of that. i want an exotic location that indy has never been before

Antarctica perhaps??

monkey

Indy V

Indy V?

OK, well if we are to presume there WILL be an Indy V.

I think that Asia is the right setting, but not necessarily China.

I think that Southeast Asia might be better.

OK, disregarding all of my posts before, and if we MUST necessarily continue on with the current Harrison Ford as an aging Indiana Jones, .......and if we are to link Indiana Jones so intimately with the entire 20th CENTURY, rather than with the 1930's (where he belongs).............well then, I think that it is a natural progression to place Indiana Jones in Vietnam in the early 60's.

Too wierd?

Yes, I think so too.

But think of the possibilities.

Perhaps it is ... 1965,.........Indy is teaching at.......I don't know......Berkeley?

What is Jones' stance on the war???

Do we really want to go there? I don't know. Maybe yes, maybe no.

The only good thing is that Harrison Ford absolutely CAN play an aging Indiana Jones in the sixties. And with Shia LeBeouf as his son, the possibilities are significantly expanded.

I don't know.

Toht's Arm

Reviving a super-old thread, I know...

Whilst The Mummy trod this ground only recently, I can see Indy V taking place at least in part in China, mainly because Hollywood has its eye on the country as the fastest growing market right now. Hence we get films like Kung Fu Panda and The Karate Kid remake (which didn't feature karate since it was set in China)...

So I can imagine a studio loving the idea of this. That being said, I can't imagine that Lucas and Spielberg are really beholden to the whims of studio heads these days...

DoomsdayFAN

I think it would be great to set Indy V in China. As was mentioned, have Lao Che's son be a villain. Bring back Short Round. Bring back Mutt. A cameo from Willie Scott. (y)

Montana Smith

DoomsdayFAN said:
I think it would be great to set Indy V in China. As was mentioned, have Lao Che's son be a villain. Bring back Short Round. Bring back Mutt. A cameo from Willie Scott. (y)

The only downside is that it would be Mao's China, and therefore more Communists. The same villain twice in a row.

The best chance we had was TOD, when we got a little glimpse of Shanghai. China in the 1930s would have made for an excellent adventure. A film noir set just in Shanghai's dark underbelly could have worked, with Indy moving between the British and American Settlements, and the French Concession and native Chinese zone, while evading the Green Gang, the Chinese Nationalists and Communists, and the encroaching Japanese. Indy might even find a new ladyfriend among the White Russian émigrés of the seedy clubs.

Maybe one day we'll get to see that in an animated series...

EvilEmperorZoRG

China FTW ! The streets of china can make an awesome begining for Indy. But if I DEMAND something from the next Indy, that is Sallah. I don't see how they forgot him on KotcS. He can still do it, he still looks almost the same as he did in LC and his age is, well he's 67 while Indy is 70 :whip:
By the way, we don't need to have communists. We can have both communists and Chinese Gangsters as the enemy but with the gangsters as the main villain.