Why do (some) people dislike Mutt Williams

Indy_Forever

Heey all, why do you some of you dislike mutt williams, i never saw what was wrong with him, he was a good character i thought, and great costume:whip:

Darth Vile

I don't think there is anything to dislike about Mutt per se... I think it's more to do with that some believe he was designed to usurp the franchise (which he clearly hasn't).

The Man

Because his addition to the story was pandering, uninspired and deeply cynical. He was also the wrong sex.

The Drifter

Crack that whip said:
Pandering to whom? Cynical concerning what?

And the "wrong sex" comment is simply bizarre.

I agree with your post. I liked Mutt, but I hated how alot of the action was centered on him.

Robyn

Crack that whip said:
Pandering to whom? Cynical concerning what?

And the "wrong sex" comment is simply bizarre.

He means they should have given Indy a daughter instead, which I agree with.. we already had the father/son thing with Indy and his Dad and we also already had Indy and shorty.. why couldn't they have tried a daughter for a change, I'm one of the ones who wasn't a fan of Mutt, I thought he was annoying because he thought he was so fantastic and he had a real attitude, and I didn't feel sorry for him at all when he kept getting teary eyed over Oxley.. If Mutt had nothing to do with Indiana Jones and he was in his own movie I would have zero interest in going to see it.. If Indy 5 ever happens I hope Mutt isn't in it.. I would have rather Shorty come back than to have Mutt!

Forbidden Eye

I hated the boring and obvious "twist" that he was Indy's son. Had he been just a sidekick like Short Round, I would've completely accepted him no question, but he's just not cool enough to be Indiana Jones' son.

Dark Horse

I don't mind the Mutt character, but I hate Shia. It's hard to watch KoTC when every time I see his face, I want to punch a hole in it. :(

An Indy daughter would have been awesome, BTW. Trouble with that though, is he probably would have nailed her before he found out she was his daughter.
Seriously. :sick:

Darth Vile

The whole ?daughter? thing seems quite twee to me. I?m not sure what mileage that dynamic would have in it (unless they went the ?True Grit? route). Whilst the Indy/Mutt relationship (as it appears on screen), is far from perfect? at least the ?Indy turning into his father? idea is worthy of exploration (which I agree was not realised to nearly enough of it?s potential).

Indy's Fist

Mutt's gender was determined by Indy & Marion's genes. I hate the fact I had three girls and no boys but it is what it is.

Seriously I like Mutt I thought he was a great character and made Anakin Skywalker look like a punk!

Indy's Fist

Dark Horse said:
I don't mind the Mutt character, but I hate Shia. It's hard to watch KoTC when every time I see his face, I want to punch a hole in it. :(

An Indy daughter would have been awesome, BTW. Trouble with that though, is he probably would have nailed her before he found out she was his daughter.
Seriously. :sick:

Man, calm down. It's gonna be okay.Shhhhhh, shhhhhhhhh.

Robyn

Indy's Fist said:
Mutt's gender was determined by Indy & Marion's genes. I hate the fact I had three girls and no boys but it is what it is.

Mutt's gender was determined by Steven Spielberg :rolleyes:

btw it probably would have sounded a bit nicer if you said you wish you had a boy also, instead of "I hate the fact I had three girls" ... my Dad had three girls and no boys, and if he said that I might get a little upset :p

sandiegojones

Some of these arguments are funny. Mutt took Indy's screen time??? When is Mutt on screen when Indy is not except for the 15 seconds he is introduced at the train station?

They gave Indy a son to show how we become like our fathers as we get older no matter how hard we try not to. It gave the film a similar dynamic that Last Crusade had, which a lot of people liked.

Like it or not, Harrison Ford is a lot older and having Mutt in the film made sense as a way to get Marion back into the series, even of his origins were very contrived (but it's a friggin' movie, they're all contrived!).

I'm glad it wasn't a daughter because she would have likely been a teenage Willie Scott or Marion. Since Marion was back I think it narrowed the options. Women in the 50's weren't quite as adventurous as they were in the 30's and more recent decades. Another Willie would have been irritating and younger Marion type is too obvious and wouldn't have fit the time it was set in. If you watch films of the 50's young women were generally helpless which is why they went with the 50's male rebel type.

In the end who gives a sh!t! You either like him or you don't. I like Shia and find him amusing and can't wait for Transformers 2!

The Drifter

sandiegojones said:
Some of these arguments are funny. Mutt took Indy's screen time??? When is Mutt on screen when Indy is not except for the 15 seconds he is introduced at the train station?
Have you even watched the film? Do I need to stuff into your head the fencing scene, the Tarzan scene, the bushes-to-the-nuts scene, or how Mutt was the one who started the escape from the camp?
I could go on if you wish. . .

sandiegojones

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Have you even watched the film? Do I need to stuff into your head the fencing scene, the Tarzan scene, the bushes-to-the-nuts scene, or how Mutt was the one who started the escape from the camp?
I could go on if you wish. . .
All of those things are part of Indy scenes.

So he had a few seconds of screen time ! Pardon me! If things like that bother you, then you must have a pathetic existence.

And who could forget all that screen time Mutt took up during the credits when Indy & Marion walked out of the church and he just stood there blocking the credits?!?!?

DAMN YOU LUCAS & SPIELBERG!!!! GOD DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!

Indy's Fist

ronicle said:
Mutt's gender was determined by Steven Spielberg :rolleyes:

btw it probably would have sounded a bit nicer if you said you wish you had a boy also, instead of "I hate the fact I had three girls" ... my Dad had three girls and no boys, and if he said that I might get a little upset :p

Just read the rest of my post and in the future try not to take me out of context. I was just kidding, I love my girls!

The Drifter

sandiegojones said:
All of those things are part of Indy scenes.

So he had a few seconds of screen time ! Pardon me! If things like that bother you, then you must have a pathetic existence.

And who could forget all that screen time Mutt took up during the credits when Indy & Marion walked out of the church and he just stood there blocking the credits?!?!?

DAMN YOU LUCAS & SPIELBERG!!!! GOD DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!

Get your damn panties out of your crack, man.
Did I say I hated the movie? Search my past posts and see if you can find where I bashed the movie. I liked Mutt, as I said before in this thread. But, I feel as if Mutt stole alot of screen-time that could be used for Indiana Jones.

Mutt was cool, but I don't want to see him fighting the Reds; I wanna see Indy fighting them! Also, you ate your own damn foot. I gave you more scenes that are of Mutt when you said there was only one. How does your heel taste?

Also, my existence is just fine. How is yours? You're the one popping a vein over a character in a movie. Learn how to accept other people's opinion, and then maybe they will treat you like a big boy! :)