LEAST favorite Indy film

Which is your least favorite Indy film?

• Total voters

Adamwankenobi

I can't say I have a least favorite, because I love all three in different ways. However, I will make this distinction: To me, ROTLA and TOD will always be in their own league, and LC will always be in its own league.

I say this because ROTLA and TOD have a very fresh feeling to them. ROTLA was obviously the original film, and TOD was made when the Indiana Jones concept was still relatively new. As a result, both films have a sense of urgency to them. However, LC was made several years later, when Indy had become a household name. LC began to explore the character in ways that I don't think Lucas and Spielberg would have in the beginning. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it's definately a change of style which continued with YIJC and will no doubt be part of KOTCS.

ROTLA/TOD and LC/YIJC/KOTCS will always be the two types of Indiana Jones storytelling in my mind, yet I love both types equally.

No Ticket

This is like someone asking you...

"Out of the three porchses in your driveway, which one do you like the least?"

or

"Out of your three supermodel girlfriends, which do you like the least?"

or

"Out of the three different homes you have... on in the mountains, one in the city and one on the beach... which do you like least?"

or

"Out of the three treasure chests full of gold and diamonds... which do you like the least?"

or

"Out of the holy trinity, which do you like the least?"

or

"Out of your three children, which do you like the least?"

... you get the idea.
They're all great. All of them... ALL three. In different ways. But if I had to HAD to HAAAD to pick a least favorite. I'd pick TOD. I like Henry Jones Sr., I love the music of LC... etc. I thought the Tank chase had a LOT of action in it. Flawed sure, but still better then most movies. Raiders is raiders what else can I say. And TOD is my least favorite only because you made me pick one.

Darth Vile

oki9Sedo,

I stand by my comments, but remember those comments are relative i.e. 3 Indy movies in relation to each other. Whilst I believe that TOD has less intelligence than Raiders or Last Crusade, I still think it's in a superior league to 99% of other big movies that were made before, during and after...

So... 't's my turn to reply, uh? Well, yeah, I'm another one of the few who voted for "Raiders" as the worst of the three.
I've always liked it a lot, but I continue to think it's the weakest. I don't know exactly why, but... maybe it's the fact that... (forgive me for what I'm on the point to say... Violet Indy, don't take it personal :p ...)... well, the fact that Marion is a character I don't like enough. She is one of the main protagonists of the movie but I don't really like her enough. :( I think she is quite annoying with her way of screaming... almost always insulting Indy and all of that stuff... it's hard to explain... but that's it, I know it's my fault.
Another thing that I don't like much is the climax of the movie. The opening of the Ark... I know, probably it's just me in the world, but I think all the sequence (and the scenes preceding it) is pretty boring. The rope bridge scene in "Temple of Doom" is EXTREMELY more powerful than that... not to mention the end of "Last Crusade"... from the point they enter the Grail sanctuary, that movie REALLY BECOMES MAGIC. The climax in "Raiders", instead, I don't know... probably I don't like it because Indy and Marion are captured and they simply don't play any role in the scene. I don't know... but it's just me.

And... a little sidenote... to all of whom saying the action in "Last Crusade" is less impressive than in "Raiders": are you joking?? :confused:
THE ONLY REAL ACTION SCENES IN "RAIDERS" ARE THE DESERT CHASE AND THE FIGHT WITH THE GERMAN MECHANIC. I know the stunt with the bullwhip during the desert chase is TOTAL LEGEND, but damn... it's still only ONE scene in two hours of film...
I'm not saying "Last Crusade" does indeed have more. Perhaps it doesn't... but the scenes it has are much more various than the ones in "Raiders" (a speedboat chase, an aerial dogfight, the escape from the Brunwald castle, a motorcicle chase... you know what I mean, don't ya?? ;) )

G-Man

The Stranger said:
So... 't's my turn to reply, uh? Well, yeah, I'm another one of the few who voted for "Raiders" as the worst of the three.
I've always liked it a lot, but I continue to think it's the weakest. I don't know exactly why, but... maybe it's the fact that... (forgive me for what I'm on the point to say... Violet Indy, don't take it personal :p ...)... well, the fact that Marion is a character I don't like enough. She is one of the main protagonists of the movie but I don't really like her enough. :( I think she is quite annoying with her way of screaming... almost always insulting Indy and all of that stuff... it's hard to explain... but that's it, I know it's my fault.
Another thing that I don't like much is the climax of the movie. The opening of the Ark... I know, probably it's just me in the world, but I think all the sequence (and the scenes preceding it) is pretty boring. The rope bridge scene in "Temple of Doom" is EXTREMELY more powerful than that... not to mention the end of "Last Crusade"... from the point they enter the Grail sanctuary, that movie REALLY BECOMES MAGIC. The climax in "Raiders", instead, I don't know... probably I don't like it because Indy and Marion are captured and they simply don't play any role in the scene. I don't know... but it's just me.

And... a little sidenote... to all of whom saying the action in "Last Crusade" is less impressive than in "Raiders": are you joking?? :confused:
THE ONLY REAL ACTION SCENES IN "RAIDERS" ARE THE DESERT CHASE AND THE FIGHT WITH THE GERMAN MECHANIC. I know the stunt with the bullwhip during the desert chase is TOTAL LEGEND, but damn... it's still only ONE scene in two hours of film...
I'm not saying "Last Crusade" does indeed have more. Perhaps it doesn't... but the scenes it has are much more various than the ones in "Raiders" (a speedboat chase, an aerial dogfight, the escape from the Brunwald castle, a motorcicle chase... you know what I mean, don't ya?? ;) )
Can open, worms everywhere. ;)

G-Man

The Stranger said:
Wait a sec... I don't get it... :p
I'm merely suggesting that some here may take exception to your views on Raiders. I can, however, see your point of view, and don't entirely disagree with some of your points. :hat:

G-Man said:
I'm merely suggesting that some here may take exception to your views on Raiders. I can, however, see your point of view, and don't entirely disagree with some of your points. :hat:

LOL!!! I know... I wrote a bomb... and it's gonna explode soon... 't's only a matter of time. :D :D

P.S.
But hey... I think a lot of people is not even going to bother themselves by reading my post... because, as usual, it's too long. :p

G-Man

It's good that you have plenty to say... and strong convictions!

Light the blue touch paper and retreat a safe distance. :D

MaxPhactor23

I can?t really say that I have a least favorite per say. I?m quite fond of them all. I?ve always felt that Indiana Jones was one of the few film franchises that retained quality throughout. But if I was forced to chose a least favorite at gunpoint, I?d probably go with Last Crusade. Temple of Doom gets too much crap. I find most the Doom complains to be fairly irrational, but to each their own. Heck, dare I say it?s my favorite. I also find Dooms score to be leaps ahead of the others. I find myself humming Slave Children?s Crusade more then the Indiana Jones march itself. But it seems to have garnered a much larger fan base lately, as if it?s grown on people. That pleases me very much. I think I?ve actually heard more complaints on this board toward Last Crusade then I have Doom - though Doom is winning at the polls.

The biggest issue I have with Last Crusade is the fact that it brought very little original to the ballpark. For all intensive purposes, Temple of Doom was a risk. It was especially different compared to Raiders and unfortunately heavily criticized when first released. I think it?s safe to say that Lucas and Spielberg played it safe when it came to Crusade. They rehashed so much in the way of Raiders, a film they knew people adored. Part of the reason I like Doom so much is because, flat out, it?s so unique. Rats just didn?t compare to snakes and bugs. The tank and motorcycle scene, for as great as I find them, felt very familiar. The boat chase is just horrible in my eye. But the bright outweighs the dark, and might I add, we?re introduced to arguably the finest character in the series besides Indiana Jones himself - Henry Jones Sr. So I can?t really bash it?but it would be my least.

oki9Sedo

Spielberg said Temple of Doom is "too dark, too subterranean, and much too horrible."

Too dark? Its a little darker than Raiders, but not much.

Too subterranean? Thats just a matter of opinion, so I won't argue that, even though I disagree.

Much too horrible? The heart-ripping is the most horrible moment in the trilogy, but not by much. Also, aside from that moment the film is actually less gory than Raiders.

Ska

The Stranger said:
The climax in "Raiders", instead, I don't know... probably I don't like it because Indy and Marion are captured and they simply don't play any role in the scene. I don't know... but it's just me.

First of all, you're crazy for picking Raiders as your least favorite!:p

Just kidding...we're all entitled to our own opinions...it's just that yours is wrong.;)

That being said, I have to agree with you about the ending of Raiders. I've always thought that Indy in Raiders is basically worthless. The end of the movie would have been basically the same without him. Think about it...

If Indiana wasn't contacted to find the Ark, the Nazis would have eventually found it at Tanis. They would have taken it to the island as they still did, and the Ark would have still killed them all. Meanwhile, Indiana could have continued his classes. Although the Ark would have remained on the island instead of being "magically" brought back to the states to be stored in the warehouse.

oki9Sedo

At times I feel the last 30 minutes of Raiders could have done with another action scene, but aside from that its perfect.

Dr. Gonzo

I think Willie Scott said it best... "Magic rocks?"
Those shankara stones were weak. Temple of Doom is a GOOD movie but is my least favorite in the Indiana Jones entries.

xVendetta17x

oki9Sedo said:
At times I feel the last 30 minutes of Raiders could have done with another action scene, but aside from that its perfect.

Blasphemy!
They're all perfect
And I refuse to hear otherwise

Inbanana

I'm gonna have to say LC. I mean if ToD never came out, then LC is more of what I would have expected a sequel to Raiders be like. As much as I like LC, it just has this "We've been down this road before" feeling to it every time I watch it. Though, now that I'm older, I appreciate it a lot more then when I was a kid... like his relationship with his father, and the use of the mcguffin. Still, out of all of them that I would choose to pop in the dvd player and re-watch, LC would have to be the last. Also... after a long time of thinking "What could have been...", I kinda wish a different director was brought on board after ToD (What?! An Indiana Jones movie without Spielberg? Blasphemy! Burn in SW prequel hell!) for a fresh perspective...

xVendetta17x

Inbanana said:
I'm gonna have to say LC. I mean if ToD never came out, then LC is more of what I would have expected a sequel to Raiders be like. As much as I like LC, it just has this "We've been down this road before" feeling to it every time I watch it. Though, now that I'm older, I appreciate it a lot more then when I was a kid... like his relationship with his father, and the use of the mcguffin. Still, out of all of them that I would choose to pop in the dvd player and re-watch, LC would have to be the last. Also... after a long time of thinking "What could have been...", I kinda wish a different director was brought on board after ToD (What?! An Indiana Jones movie without Spielberg? Blasphemy! Burn in SW prequel hell!) for a fresh perspective...

Last Crusade is the Sequel to Raiders
Temple is the Prequel