Chronicles of Narnia

RedeemedChild

Dr. Gonzo said:
That seems like a weird choice since chronologically The Silver Chair should come next.

Well it is odd in a way but the reason being is that at a liturgical event held earlier this year called “Connecting with Audiences in an Age of Distraction”, Michael Flaherty of Walden Media put the issue of which film should be adapted first into a democratic vote of sorts. The people who attended voted for 'The Magician's Nephew' while very few expressed support for 'The Silver Chair' which WB Entertainment had intended to release under the title of 'The Silver Throne'.

Personally, I haven't really read the 'The Silver Chair' and therefore I can't say much on the issue. I've read 'The Magician's Nephew' and I loved it. Therefore I am really excited about this. Still, seeing as I have read 'The Horse and His Boy', 'Prince Caspian' and 'The Last Battle' I shall make it my duty to go and read 'The Silver Chair' as soon as possible.

I must say that 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader' was indeed a powerful movie. It was far more inspiring than I'd anticipated it being. By the end of the movie I was in tears. I was also very surprised at our loud and clear the Gospel message came through in this movie. It was almost as good as the theological tones C.S. Lewis imbued the books with. I knew that Michael Apted alway's tried to convey spirituality through his movies as was seen in 'Amazing Grace' but the way it came through in 'Dawn Treader' was beyond my expectations.

Does anyone know if M. Apted will be involved in 'The Magician's Nephew'?

BTW guys check this link out: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/b...ld-atlas-by-john-stephens.html?_r=1&src=twrhp

Last edited:

Montana Smith

I just watched all three.

The first I'd seen only seen bits of previously.

For years I've held C.S. Lewis as second fiddle to his friend, Tolkien. However, there's something more interesting about travelling between our world and the fantasy world as Lewis imagines. With Tolkien it was just the imagined history of our own world.

It's been many years since I read Lewis' novels, and I know that the films have taken some liberties and added new scenes. However, I was noticing influences that, if written by Lewis himself, preceded publication of those of Tolkien.

The major one appeared at the end of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader as Reepicheep is permitted to travel to Aslan's country. It felt very much like Tolkien's Ring Bearers crossing over to Aman, The Undying Lands.

The ending of Dawn Treader hit the same note as the ending to The Return of The King.

These are great fairy tales brought to life with some amazing imagery, such as the battles involving the animals, especially minotaurs. Or the transition from the underground station to the cavern on the beach.

IndyBuff

curmudgeon said:
Wow is this quite the big thread bump...

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/narnia-revival-silver-chair-director-joe-johnston-1202399920/

Joe Johnston has been hired to direct "The Silver Chair" with a script adapted by David Magee of "Life of Pi" fame.

Pretty cool news. I remember watching the BBC adaptation of The Silver Chair as a kid and really enjoying it. It's sad that it's taken them so long to get around to making more but hopefully the audience is still there.

TheFedora

Well they will have to recast Eustace Scrubb as its been 7 years since the last movie, but besides that it should be interesting to see how that goes.