Sankara as Indiana Jones

Darth Vile

Is it me or doesn't anybody else find this just plain weird and a little scary? Full grown men dressing up as Indiana Jones and taking pictures of themselves in front of the mirror!!! :sick: :eek:

deckard24

Darth Vile said:
Is it me or doesn't anybody else find this just plain weird and a little scary? Full grown men dressing up as Indiana Jones and taking pictures of themselves in front of the mirror!!! :sick: :eek:

It's part of the reason why I have never taken a pic of myself in even the make shift gear I have for display purposes! I've been tempted but can't bring myself to do it! I can see a pic from a Halloween party, or if the person is an actual Indiana Jones impresonator ie. at Disneyland, but other then that I don't know! To each his own though. If Sankara has fun with it, well good for him! It would be tough to say which area of fandom is the most immature though, collecting toys as an adult, playing dressup, or hanging out online talking about Indiana Jones on a daily basis is all juvenile in a way, but hey it's fun! I can say I definitely do 2 of those 3.

Last edited:

|ZiR|

Darth Vile said:

Never go to a comic book or anime convention; you may very well be scarred for life!

Really though, do adults who dress up for Halloween scare you too? I'm not being sarcastic. I am genuinely curious about this.

Darth Vile

|ZiR| said:
Never go to a comic book or anime convention; you may very well be scarred for life!

Really though, do adults who dress up for Halloween scare you too? I'm not being sarcastic. I am genuinely curious about this.

I posted this on in another topic... but it's apt I think.

This is not aimed at anyone (but rather generic). Posting on a dedicated board is within the realms of reasonable behavior (psychologically speaking), even if it?s a little anti-social. Pretending to be someone else (when not as profession or as part of an event e.g. fancy dress, Halloween), demonstrates a clouding/blurring of the lines between reality and unreality. It?s also very difficult to take someone seriously when thinking they are probably dressed up in an adult nappy/dyper with dummy or as Batman.

Also - I understand completely the interest with props and costumes. However, I still think there is a big difference in collecting props, costumes... and to dress up in them for your own gratification.

Mickiana

And Darth, I replied to your last point in another thread. Re: There is no difference in posting, dressing up, short film making, etc. All are homage to a fictional movie character and to the movies in general. You mentioned reality and unreality. Well, it's all unreal and we are all aware of this. We all end up playing dress up in our daily lives as it is - for school, work, social life, parties, etc. The only real rebels are Naturists who really dress down for that occasion! I find dressing up in Indy gear a real kick. It's comfortable and looks great. I sense a repressed desire in you to shed the cargos and tee shirt and get into some good ol' adventuring gear. I say go for it! You'll never look back.

DocWhiskey

Darth Vile said:
Also - I understand completely the interest with props and costumes. However, I still think there is a big difference in collecting props, costumes... and to dress up in them for your own gratification.

I agree with your first paragraph. But the part I quoted seems to completely retract what you just said. So you're saying it's better to spend a few hundred dollars on screen accurate costumes as a collection stowed away somewhere rather then wearing it out for a movie premiere of that said character, convention, or Halloween?

I've never dressed up for a convention, though I am planning on it next year, and the reason I personally do it is not for my own gratification :rolleyes:.

I do it because I love people's reactions. A friend of mine and I go to a big haunted house every Halloween dressed up as something(last year we were the Mario brothers) and meet people in line, take pictures etc. It's boring waiting there for hours and doing it passes their time and ours.

When I "suit up" I've never heard someone say, "You're terrible", "You're stupid", "You're obviously doing this for your own gratification."

Nope.

They smile, get excited, some get all over you because it's their favorite character and what not. And bringing a smile to their face and making people happy is totally worth the amount of money spent on making that costume.

And lastly:
12sf9.jpg

deckard24

Dr. HenryJones.jr said:
if you are "Doppelgänger" for Harrison Ford :D (y)
Personally I think Sankara looks way more like Nicholas Wyman (Jeremy Irons partner in crime from Die Hard With A Vengeance), as well as Michael Brandon, then he does Harrison Ford! He channels the vibe of Ford as Indy, but that's when making scrunched up, squinty, angry faces! The pics of him relaxed look way more like Wyman and Brandon then Ford! I still give Sankara kudos for pulling off the outfit so well!

Nicholas Wyman
images.jpg

Michael Brandon
485475566_754d6dca58.jpg

Indy's brother

I think it's easy to pick on Sankara's costuming because his posts are annoying and repetitive. The costume thing is just a more rewarding target.

Mickiana

Targeting Sankara's costuming is not rewarding - it doesn't work because it's ridiculous to criticise someone's costuming while we all spend hours on our keyboards chatting inanely about the obscurest details of fictional movies. That's putting it negatively. Costuming, posting on discussion forums, short film remakes, etc are all homage to something that captured our imaginations long ago and doesn't seem to have let go yet! Sankara is not a target on this forum - that speaks of petty squabbles and 'taking sides' which is very immature. His viewpoints are as valid as anyone else's. The one big thing that is evident is his love for all things Indiana Jones and, like the rest of us, that love is balanced with criticism. I have disputed Sankara before, but I always admire his dedication, devotion, enthusiasm and spirit for what he brings to this forum. And one more thing, when I don my Indygear, I definitely do it for my own gratification!

Last edited:

Raider S

Darth, you're a douche.

You submit over 1,000 posts discussing or defending the merits of the last Indiana Jones film then launch into some psycho-babble diatribe about people playing dress-up.

A guy spending hours, and hours, and hours of his time on a message board doesn't have much credibility when he starts bashing others on the same site because he thinks their behavior is odd.

I can tell from the way you write you aren't a child (in terms of years, anyway) but just how adjusted are you? Do any friends you might have know how much time you spend on an Indiana Jones site? If you have a job, do your coworkers know? You seem to have a need to rationalize your behavior while questioning those who aren't doing anything much different. So maybe it's a little hard to take you seriously, too.

I own an Indy jacket and wear it all the time; not because I want to be Indiana Jones but because I think they are good looking jackets. Other than the jacket, I don't dress as Indy. If someone else does, however, I'm not going to question them anymore than I'd question the accountant or engineer who dresses like some wannabe badass Hell's Angel when he rides his Harley to the mall on Sunday afternoon.

Darth Vile

DocWhiskey said:
I agree with your first paragraph. But the part I quoted seems to completely retract what you just said. So you're saying it's better to spend a few hundred dollars on screen accurate costumes as a collection stowed away somewhere rather then wearing it out for a movie premiere of that said character, convention, or Halloween?

I've never dressed up for a convention, though I am planning on it next year, and the reason I personally do it is not for my own gratification :rolleyes:.

I do it because I love people's reactions. A friend of mine and I go to a big haunted house every Halloween dressed up as something(last year we were the Mario brothers) and meet people in line, take pictures etc. It's boring waiting there for hours and doing it passes their time and ours.

I think you are missing my point. There is nothing I would call ?odd? about dressing up for a party, convention or Halloween. I think that is a world away from dressing up at home for one?s own gratification.

Darth Vile

Raider S said:
Darth, you're a douche.

You submit over 1,000 posts discussing or defending the merits of the last Indiana Jones film then launch into some psycho-babble diatribe about people playing dress-up.

A guy spending hours, and hours, and hours of his time on a message board doesn't have much credibility when he starts bashing others on the same site because he thinks their behavior is odd.

I can tell from the way you write you aren't a child (in terms of years, anyway) but just how adjusted are you? Do any friends you might have know how much time you spend on an Indiana Jones site? If you have a job, do your coworkers know? You seem to have a need to rationalize your behavior while questioning those who aren't doing anything much different. So maybe it's a little hard to take you seriously, too.

I own an Indy jacket and wear it all the time; not because I want to be Indiana Jones but because I think they are good looking jackets. Other than the jacket, I don't dress as Indy. If someone else does, however, I'm not going to question them anymore than I'd question the accountant or engineer who dresses like some wannabe badass Hell's Angel when he rides his Harley to the mall on Sunday afternoon.

I think you are being way too defensive and lacking in perspective. Firstly my initial comments were made with a tongue embedded in the cheek. Secondly, spending circa (collectively) 1 hour per day posting on a board such as this (no matter how many posts that may equate to), does not equate to ?abnormal? behavior. Analyzing a movie to the minutia we do, may demonstrate certain anal behavior, but it doesn?t equate to fantasizing about being someone else. Be that Indiana Jones, Batman or an adult baby in a nappy. But if you think it does, then hey ho, we?re all psychos.

Major West

deckard24 said:
Personally I think Sankara looks way more like Nicholas Wyman (Jeremy Irons partner in crime from Die Hard With A Vengeance), as well as Michael Brandon, then he does Harrison Ford! He channels the vibe of Ford as Indy, but that's when making scrunched up, squinty, angry faces! The pics of him relaxed look way more like Wyman and Brandon then Ford! I still give Sankara kudos for pulling off the outfit so well!

Nicholas Wyman
images.jpg

Michael Brandon
485475566_754d6dca58.jpg

Have you bought Sankara an engagement ring yet?

emtiem

I was out and about in London on Sunday night and saw both Dempsey and Makepeace. I was quite pleased with that celeb spot! :)

Mickiana

Thinking about it now, I reckon it's crazier to sit on a computer discussing the movies down to the molecule than it is to wear a bit of Indy gear. At least in the Indy gear you can get out and live a bit. Now where's that fedora, coz I'm off to the great outdoors!