Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

DocWhiskey

EvilDevo said:
Old school gamers: rejoice and behold! Graphics of the year TWO THOUSAND!
Some sort of direct sequel to Infernal Machine all the way from spring/summer of 2009!

Hail!

All those good looking x-cubes 180s graphics were gettin' on my nerves anyway!

If I want a HD ground breaking Indy adventure I'll go on one myself!

EvilDevo

LOL they're terrible! And what's all this Naughty Dog fuss? "OOO" detail. Give me a break.

*loves Uncharted and eagerly anticipates the sequel, for the record*

The Tingler

EvilDevo said:
And if Doug Lee happens to voice Indy in Staff of Kings... I might just explode. Guts everywhere. Pair of smoking shoes where I once stood.

I'm pretty certain it's David Esch, but JediMudkip (admin on the LucasArts forum) said he'll find out for me, as well as the answer to one of my most important questions - will the music be original? Of course if there's no PC version we might not get a soundtrack of it...

Here's his response about the co-operative mode "with a character not playable before in an Indy game" -
It's a separate storyline, and I can't say much because I wouldn't want to spoil it, but you play alongside someone that gave me a grin.
Hmmm...

Oh, and for non-US citizens wondering when we're going to be getting some decent previews of the game -
Germany
Computer Bild Spiele - February issue

UK
Official Nintendo Magazine - March issue
NGamer - March issue
GamesMaster - March issue

Australia
Official Nintendo Magazine - March issue
Of particular interest to me is ONM, because they told me they didn't have it!

indyjones2131

Here are the new answers from Lucasarts:

The Tingler
Total Posts: 19
Hi there, that question thread you posted is getting a bit crowded and a bit *****y, so I hope you don't mind that I posted a separate one. Feel free to pick and choose from these questions, I realise you won't be allowed to answer them all!

1. When can we see some gameplay trailers, or some DS screenshots?
2. When can we expect the game - or at least, when will the release date be pinned down? Earlier than May?
3. Will Rob McGregor's book novelisation be coming out around the same time as the game?
4. Who is that voice of Indy in the trailer? Is it David Esch?
5. Will the soundtrack of the game be original or taken from the films? I've loved all of Clint Bajakian's original scores, especially Emperor's Tomb, so I hope the answer is 'original'.
6. As the high-powered Euphoria physics system is no longer being used, will it be coming out on PC? Please?
7. How linear is the game?
8. Can you tell us any more about the co-operative mode? How long will that be, and will it cover the main game too?

1.) They'll be coming! It's been what - 4 days? Stay tuned
2.) No idea.
3.) It'll be following a bit later in the year
4.) No idea. I'll try to find out. It sounds like him, doesn't it?
5.) I'll find out
6.) Not a clue.
7.) It's a story-based game. So, it's rather linear, but there are different ways of handling situations.
8.) It's a separate storyline, and I can't say much because I wouldn't want to spoil it, but you play alongside someone that gave me a grin.

And here are the questions I just posted. Lets hope for some answers to these as well...

1.) Are there any physics in the game at all?
2.) How well do the animations capture the character of Indy (slightly clumsy, angry in a fight, etc?)
3.) Can you shed more light on the graphics? Are they going for a slightly stylized look? Do they look better in person/motion? I ask this because of the small screens in that Nintendo Power article - they look much better than the others...
4.) How are the whip mechanics? Can you whip weapons from enemies hands? Can you use it it climb vertically as in Infernal Machine?
5.) Do puzzles play a major role/ are they well integrated or should we expect pushing blocks around?
6.) Where's Indy's satchel? Does he loose it as part of the story or are these screen in fact a bit early?

The Tingler

Last edited:

EvilDevo

Who is David Esch? The guy that did the voice for Indy in Emperor's Tomb?

The voice in the trailer sounds similar to that, but I thought it was possible it could just be place-holder.

Edit: IMDb'd it: Answered my own question.

Well, voice continuity from the last one would be my second choice. If so... terrific!

Last edited:

Irfaan

indyjones2131 said:
8.) It's a separate storyline, and I can't say much because I wouldn't want to spoil it, but you play alongside someone that gave me a grin.

That sound very interesting and fun! Can't wait, I'm really glad they did something different for the coop, most developers just use the normal storyline for the game and make it coop!

WOW! Still amazed by the mass of features!

Perhilion

The Tingler said:
New: Straight from the horse's mouth - "they couldn't get it finished this year, so they canceled it".
ahhhhhhhhh!!:mad: :mad: :mad: So what if they couldn't finish it in time for the movie THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO CANCEL IT!!!1! LucasArts you are one big disappointing bundle of bad decisions. This crappy last-gen game better be at least as good as ET.

Grizzlor

I guess we'll just have to think of it as a sequel to Emperor's Tomb. Could we also expect this will be the last (non-LEGO) Indiana Jones game LucasArt put out? If they have no plans for the 360/PS3, and canceled the game. I'd have no issue with it, except that the PS2 version seems to have next to nothing extra. I don't want to spend $250 on a Wii when there are maybe 6 games I'd ever play on it.

Udvarnoky

That he refers to the game as "story based" kind of excites me, but then, no game developer seems to know what that's actually supposed to mean anymore.

Udvarnoky

Grizzlor said:
I guess we'll just have to think of it as a sequel to Emperor's Tomb. Could we also expect this will be the last (non-LEGO) Indiana Jones game LucasArt put out?

They're only putting it out in the sense that they're publishing it, and I don't see anything that would stop them from doing that again in the future. I don't see them ever developing an Indy game (which they haven't done since 1999), or perhaps any games period, again though.

jones3d said:
OK, but why cancel it? Launch it when it's done! :mad:

The powers that be want games that are finished on time and on budget. The next-gen Indy game has been in some form of development since 2004 and has been missing deadlines throughout its production, and the suits probably got fed up with throwing more money at it, especially since they seem to be anxious to get rid of in-house development altogether. By axing the next-gen versions and just releasing the long-completed ports that they have in-hand, they're minimizing their losses.

The Tingler

Perhilion said:
ahhhhhhhhh!!:mad: :mad: :mad: So what if they couldn't finish it in time for the movie THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO CANCEL IT!!!1! LucasArts you are one big disappointing bundle of bad decisions. This crappy last-gen game better be at least as good as ET.

No, they wanted an Indy adventure for 2009, like Indy IV was in 2008. They couldn't wait any longer than that. Maybe they shouldn't have fired their employees...

Udvarnoky said:
They're only putting it out in the sense that they're publishing it, and I don't see anything that would stop them from doing that again in the future. I don't see them ever developing an Indy game (which they haven't done since 1999), or perhaps any games period, again though.

Yeah, exactly. Don't worry, they'll do another outsourcing job, which they're probably looking for as we speak. They need a next-gen Indy game.

Morning Bell said:
I am a bit bothered that most of the answers simply say "I don't know, I'll find out." It doesn't exactly sound competent.

I think he works at LucasArts and is an Indy fan, but isn't involved directly with the game. I'd rather a few answers than none. I'm especially keen to know about the soundtrack.

It's a bit disappointing about Rob McGregor's book not coming out until Fall, especially considering it's actually done.

Udvarnoky

The Tingler said:
Don't worry, they'll do another outsourcing job, which they're probably looking for as we speak. They need a next-gen Indy game.

I think you're confusing your hopes with what LEC wants.

Morning Bell said:
I am a bit bothered that most of the answers simply say "I don't know, I'll find out." It doesn't exactly sound competent.:confused:

He's just some forum moderator. He's probably only marginally less in the dark than you or I.

The Tingler

Udvarnoky said:
I think you're confusing your hopes with what LEC wants.
Heh, possibly, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna happen. Hey, besides, the likelihood is I wouldn't have been able to play the 360 version anyway! (Not for a long time, at least)

Teke

indyjones2131 said:
6. As the high-powered Euphoria physics system is no longer being used, will it be coming out on PC? Please?

6.) Not a clue.

So, that means there´s still hope to get the game on PC?
I didn´t understand the answer.

DocWhiskey

The Tingler said:
I

New: Straight from the horse's mouth - "they couldn't get it finished this year, so they cancelled it".

When was the next-gen Indy game announced? 2005? 2006? It's 2009 and the game still wouldn't of been able to come out this year? So if it were to come out in 2010 that would've been 5 years of development. Damn. It took them 4 years to get it canceled so they must've not even been that close to polishing the game. Did they seriously do ANY work on it? Talk about slacking. What a missed opportunity. My Game Developing class could've made a next-gen Indy game faster...and probably better.