Mutt's Silhouette?

Is this a planned look into the future of the character or not?

• Total voters

Insomniac

Don't know of this is worth a thread but take a look at this shot.
2301199_7e7f_625x625.jpg

Anything interesting?

Lucas likes to add silhouettes to show where charectors are going like the promo poster for Phantom Menace or maybe just to make downright badass shot.

Do you think this is a planned shot or just a stupid observation?

Insomniac

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I voted that I have no clue. But, I honestly think it's Indiana's shadow cast on the wall.
I figured it was Indy but since Lucas has mentioned a spinoff can we say that this was a primed shot for Lucas's liking?

The Drifter

Insomniac said:
I figured it was Indy but since Lucas has mentioned a spinoff can we say that this was a primed shot for Lucas's liking?

It would be pretty cool. I'm one of the few who would not mind seeing a Mutt Williams spin-off later on down the road.

Dayne

Lonsome_Drifter said:
It would be pretty cool. I'm one of the few who would not mind seeing a Mutt Williams spin-off later on down the road.

Agreed. And I actually find that to be quite the observation! I never really thought about that shot as foreshadowing before. Whether it was intentional or not, it would be very cool to see a "Mutt Williams: Son of Indiana Jones" spin-off series, as said above.

But since I really can't tell, I also voted that I don't know.

Darth Vile

From what I can recall, the light source is coming from in front of Indy... so it's natural that his shadow should fall alongside Mutt (as Mutt is behind). Using a shadow like this is a fairly common cinematic technique for keeping someone out of frame, in frame. However, there is always the possibility (no matter how slight) that is was designed that way to infer the "passing of the hat". ;)

Insomniac

Darth Vile said:
From what I can recall, the light source is coming from in front of Indy... so it's natural that his shadow should fall alongside Mutt (as Mutt is behind). Using a shadow like this is a fairly common cinematic technique for keeping someone out of frame, in frame. However, there is always the possibility (no matter how slight) that is was designed that way to infer the "passing of the hat". ;)
Good to finally have someone who can confidently say Yes or No.
I can see why no one has a "real" opinion it is a pretty shoddy observation on my part!

I don't even think I can decide one way or a another!

Last edited:

StoneTriple

It could be a foreshadowing, I suppose. It's certainly no accident, but I'm leaning toward they just thought it was a cool looking shot. Shadows of Indy have been part of the series all along.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I don't think it is necessarily a foreshadowing.

You have the shadow in Raiders and it's Marion in frame when Indy first arrives at the Raven. Perhaps the KOTCS shot is a tribute to that shot (which I thought was rather iconic). Again, one of those little ways of trying to bring the series full circle. It could also be foreshadowing the fact that Mutt is Marion's son.

Truth: There's a lot that can be read into with that one shot. Which intrepretation(s) is true, we won't ever know except for the Beards.

Cole

I think it's Indy's reflection........not Mutt's.

I don't think I would be THAT bothered by a Mutt spin-off (although I don't think I'd really be a huge proponent either).........as long as he is his own character. That means the leather, the motorcycle, the hair, the sword, etc.

A Mutt spin-off where he is essentially Indiana Jones II - complete with the hat - I wouldn't go for that.

Wilhelm

Spielberg likes to use metaphor images and this works as a foreshadowing of Mutt being Indy's son and to the last hat scene in the wedding. In the wedding we see that Mutt is going to be the next Indiana Jones (Like the different Zorros or Fedora in LC), but Harrison Ford finally takes the hat because he'll be the only Indiana Jones in movies.

Uki

Whether intentional or not, that's fun bit there. I wouldn't mind a spin-off series, but nothing will ever be quite the same. (That's not a bad thing, just a forewarning to all complainers if it does come to pass.) :)

The_Raiders

It's Indys shadow, but it was probably intentional. It could be forshadowing, or jsut a cool shot. Who knows?

Peru1936

Bah. It's nothing. The last scene is clear enough indication that Mutt is not going to pick up the fedora.

If it's foreshadowing of any kind, it most likely is hinting on that Mutt is Indy's son.