Indy was married three times?

The Drifter

I was reading the timeline for Indiana Jones and alot about the Young Indy episodes.
Indy was married to Dierdre Campbell, and later in life he married Marion Ravenwood. I think I remember reading somewhere that he also married Sophia?
So, was he married three times total or just two?
How many times was he engaged. I remember reading him asking someone's hand in marriage at least twice, but it never panned out.

Say what? Married to Sophia?

Not in anything I'm aware of.

He spent one winter with Sophia in Iceland according to the game. And they later teamed up again in 1945 but nothing came of that...

Perhaps in the FOA comic... but I think I'd remember it if that were the case.

Last edited:

The Drifter

ResidentAlien said:
Say what? Married to Sophia?

Not in anything I'm aware of.

He spent one winter with Sophia in Iceland according to the game. And the later teamed up again in 1945 but nothing came of that...

Perhaps in the FOA comic... but I think I'd remember it if that were the case.

I most likely read wrong, or just remembered wrong. Was he ever engaged to her?
I never had the chance to play the game. So I was going by what I read awhile back. (Or at least what I remember I read)

Stoo

1908 - Princess Sophie von Hohenberg (in love with her at 9 years old)
1916 – Nancy Stratemeyer (she had big plans about marriage with him...re: cut scenes from original YIJC broadcast)
1916 - Vicky Prentiss (marriage propostition REJECTED!:eek:)
1918 - Molly (engaged to wed)
1926 – Deirdre Campbell (married)
1958 - Marion Williams (married)
1992 - Vicky Prentiss (a chance encounter...)

And...at some point in time, Indy met Sophie again (the princess). There are a few threads on Indy's girlfriends. Please allow me to find the links and attach them here.;)

Last edited:

Chicago Jones

I still think it is messed up that Indy was involved with Marion when she was just 16. I think he was 26, right? I realize at the time people did get involved with younger women but thats because they could get away with it...

Stoo

Chicago Jones said:
I still think it is messed up that Indy was involved with Marion when she was just 16. I think he was 26, right? I realize at the time people did get involved with younger women but thats because they could get away with it...
What does the age difference between Indy & Marion have to do with the number of times he was married?

(Indiana Jones is a fictional character. Do you want to know what is "messed up"? A REAL-LIFE, 40 year old, celebrity sleeping with children! Talk about "getting away with it".):rolleyes:

Crack that whip

Chicago Jones said:

Well, that's (part of) the idea behind the tension in their reunion and relationship in Raiders of the Lost Ark. FWIW, it's still not truly clear exactly how old Marion was at the time of their original affair (it's not definitively established in the movies, and there's been conflicting info in secondary sources, so she might've been anywhere from 15 to 18; I think 17 works), and I imagine in the 1920s, such relationships between girls / women that age and adult men weren't generally seen the same way we see them now.

Re: the thread topic, Stoo's posts probably make this clear, but in case it's not explicit enough perhaps it should be noted there are a couple notable Sophie/Sophias in Indy's life, the real-life historical figure Princess Sophie von Hohenberg, whom Indy meets and falls in love with when they're both kids (in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles / The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones), and the fictional Sophia Hapgood, a sometime adventuring companion appearing in a handful of games and comics, notably Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

The Drifter

Thanks for the information. When he met Sophie (the princess) again later in his life. Did he still have strong feelings for her, or was he over it at that point?

Lao_Che

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Thanks for the information. When he met Sophie (the princess) again later in his life. Did he still have strong feelings for her, or was he over it at that point?

The second meeting is just a mention in one of the YIJC bookends, it doesn't specify when, where or how they were reunited. He was carrying that locket with her picture for a while, though.

AnnieJones

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I was reading the timeline for Indiana Jones and alot about the Young Indy episodes.
Indy was married to Dierdre Campbell, and later in life he married Marion Ravenwood. I think I remember reading somewhere that he also married Sophia?
So, was he married three times total or just two?
How many times was he engaged. I remember reading him asking someone's hand in marriage at least twice, but it never panned out.
As far as I know Indy was only married twice.Dierdre Campbell (until her death) then Marion Ravenwood (in KOTCS).Hope I helped.:hat: (y)

Morning Bell

I don't think Indy and Sophia were ever married or seriously involved. I think there were just two marriages but the timeline gets a bit messy with that stuff sometimes.

Stoo

Lonsome Drifter said:
I think I remember reading somewhere that he also married Sophia?
Lonseome, please don't say that this could be a delusion derived from my jokes about S.Hapgood being the mother of Old Indy's red-headed daughter.:p

Here's a memorable, in-depth discussion about Indy's romantic conquests: indy's fiancees, ever get tired of them?
Crack that whip said:
Re: the thread topic, Stoo's posts probably make this clear, but in case it's not explicit enough perhaps it should be noted there are a couple notable Sophie/Sophias in Indy's life, the real-life historical figure Princess Sophie von Hohenberg, whom Indy meets and falls in love with when they're both kids (in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles / The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones), and the fictional Sophia Hapgood, a sometime adventuring companion appearing in a handful of games and comics, notably Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
There's also Nurse Sophia from the "Tales of Innocence" linking segments. It's well implied that they slept together.
Lao_Che said:
The second meeting is just a mention in one of the YIJC bookends, it doesn't specify when, where or how they were reunited. He was carrying that locket with her picture for a while, though.
Like Old Indy said, "That's another story!" For more info on the relationship with Princess Sophie:

Princess Sophie
Is Princess Sophie, Sophia Hapgood?
Vienna, 1918
The Perils of Cupid - Vienna, 1908
00Kevin said:
didn't indy marry canyon at some point?
Didn't she marry Sallah?:p